Sponsored

What's this crap?

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
I'm sorry, but that rear wing is hideous and looks like it belongs on a kids Subaru.
Sponsored

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
I don't like them either. I would maybe make a small exception for the AC Cobras because almost everyone knows that any one you'll ever see is likely going to be a kit car. I'm still not a huge fan of it.

Buying JUST a spoiler is one thing, but they're trying to make this look like a GT350R. At least it's never going to sound as cool. Ford probably isn't going to go down on their prices for OEM R parts because they're built in such a small number. Not to mention that they probably want to keep people from buying them to protect the exclusivity of the R for its owners.

Two things. 1) I built mine for under 30k. A real one, you better add a zero and double to even begin to start looking. 2) the replicas (a quality one) far outpace the original in safety.

As far as cobra mustang clones, I'm not a fan. I think it's perfectly acceptable to use bits and peices, like terminator front end on a gt, or wheels, or even the whole thing like the photo above. But the second you start badging, that's lying. Or even verbally lying.

That's beauty of the automotive hobby. Do what you like. Many people into mustang, imports, canaros, vettes etc (late model) are douches. They think their idea of right is the only right idea. Look at the real housewives quality drama streaming across Camaro and this board currently. As you get into older crowds and generally older cars, that starts to go away. When you get all the way back into the street rod stuff, those guys all get along. No matter brand, loyalty, taste (or lack thereof) or even engine size. Until that level of kinsmanship is achieved, and lack of intolerance of other people's wants is overcome, late model performance/customizing won't see the level of detail and brotherhood that other areas of the automotive hobby has attained.

Edit: I have three distinct group of friends. Street rodders (real old guys, I built one about 18 years ago), muscle car era guys (I am on my second replica cobra and help guys with there old cars when needed) and late model people. As you go to newer cars it is a distinct change from a brotherhood to a competition atmosphere. It's kinda sad sometimes to see friendships lost over stupid shit where with the old guys, the same type of disagreements lead to stronger kinships.

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
^^ good insight on the state of emotions and brotherhood in the hobby.

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Two things. 1) I built mine for under 30k. A real one, you better add a zero and double to even begin to start looking. 2) the replicas (a quality one) far outpace the original in safety.

As far as cobra mustang clones, I'm not a fan. I think it's perfectly acceptable to use bits and peices, like terminator front end on a gt, or wheels, or even the whole thing like the photo above. But the second you start badging, that's lying. Or even verbally lying.

That's beauty of the automotive hobby. Do what you like. Many people into mustang, imports, canaros, vettes etc (late model) are douches. They think their idea of right is the only right idea. Look at the real housewives quality drama streaming across Camaro and this board currently. As you get into older crowds and generally older cars, that starts to go away. When you get all the way back into the street rod stuff, those guys all get along. No matter brand, loyalty, taste (or lack thereof) or even engine size. Until that level of kinsmanship is achieved, and lack of intolerance of other people's wants is overcome, late model performance/customizing won't see the level of detail and brotherhood that other areas of the automotive hobby has attained.

Edit: I have three distinct group of friends. Street rodders (real old guys, I built one about 18 years ago), muscle car era guys (I am on my second replica cobra and help guys with there old cars when needed) and late model people. As you go to newer cars it is a distinct change from a brotherhood to a competition atmosphere. It's kinda sad sometimes to see friendships lost over stupid shit where with the old guys, the same type of disagreements lead to stronger kinships.

Building a fake is pretty much what I was getting at. Like I said, adding a spoiler, changing a bumper, etc. isn't a big deal. It's when people start trying to make cars look exactly like a special model, or at least close enough to fool most people. I have plenty of Chevy, Dodge, Ford, and import friends. Some are into bagged trucks, drag racing, road racing, classic cars, muscle cars, modern performance cars, off roading, and the list goes on.

I still don't like when people try to make a V6 Mustang or Camaro look like a Shelby or a ZL1. Most older car guys don't try to do this, it's the new car guys. Building an older Mustang that's similar to a special model is cool too, I just don't care for people plastering Shelby or GT350 all over it. Old custom Mustangs are already cool, you don't have to try to make people think that it's something that it's not. Build it better than the originals and enjoy driving it. I'm painting a customer's AC Cobra kit car right now, and I think it's cool. He's not telling anyone that it's not a kit car though.

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm painting a customer's AC Cobra kit car right now, and I think it's cool. He's not telling anyone that it's not a kit car though.

Funny, I'm bringing mine to painter Monday. Small world.

Shit I'm exactly opposite. I am proud to admit that I built it. Did everything completely alone save for put the body on (and take it off and put back on) and spray the color and clear. I'm even considering a personalized plate "UNREAL".

Sponsored

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
This guy is doing everything except spraying sealer, base, and clear. We picked the body up at his house, already primed and blocked. Once we clear it, he's taking it back to wet sand and buff it. Definitely a small world. Haha!

I'd be proud to say I did one myself too, but you're probably not telling anyone it's not a replica. I think we're misunderstanding each other a little. It's the base model Mustangs with Cobra fender badges and all the Cobra body pieces that bug me. They're just trying to be something that they're not. The car would look just as good or better without badges at all.

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This guy is doing everything except spraying sealer, base, and clear. We picked the body up at his house, already primed and blocked. Once we clear it, he's taking it back to wet sand and buff it. Definitely a small world. Haha!

I'd be proud to say I did one myself too, but you're probably not telling anyone it's not a replica. I think we're misunderstanding each other a little. It's the base model Mustangs with Cobra fender badges and all the Cobra body pieces that bug me. They're just trying to be something that they're not. The car would look just as good or better without badges at all.

Shit. Other than you picking it up! I primed and blocked mine too and I'm going to color sand and polish it (hopefully week after next if he gets it next week). I got 1000$ worth of ppg dbc magnetic metallic base and 2021 clear (sealer too) in a box on my counter to bring to him. I'm going to have my buddy (owns wrap shop) put satin black stripes (with 1/8" stripes inside and out) on it after I get it polished and back on the car. Work gonna slow me down in November and vacation in December so I'm shooting for January completion. I don't work fast lol

We are on same page except I say go ahead and use body peices too if you like them, all of them even, but don't badge or tell me it's real if it ain't. That's when you are a poser and not just a fan of the style.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
I think alot of people forget the best reason to buy GT350/Cobra/Shelby Panels.

To go fast.

I for one don't have a multi million dollar budget to build effective aerodynamic components which enhance performance, have OEM fit and finish, and don't negatively effect vehicle crash dynamics. Fortunately Ford does, and already did that for us.

I can sympathize with some feelings about building a complete clone, but sorry the GT350 and it's unique components are very functional, there is no denying the benefit of using them.

Sponsored

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
After driving a GT 350 Track Package at Road America, I like the idea of stopping fast too. :headbang:
The brakes are pretty reasonably priced. In hind sight a Base GT with GT350 Brakes, and knuckle assembly, and flared fenders would be very fun combo.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It doesn't really bother me if people build a clone, as long as they don't rip off a buyer. Makes me wonder why people dislike clones.

I'm not buying the GT350 to be part of an exclusive group. I'm buying because I think it will be fun to drive. I'd still want a GT350 if they were building 50,000 a year rather than just 5,000.

I'm all about performance, but I can understand people want their car to look good. If they are cloning a car I own, I'd say that's a compliment.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I think alot of people forget the best reason to buy GT350/Cobra/Shelby Panels.

To go fast.

I for one don't have a multi million dollar budget to build effective aerodynamic components which enhance performance, have OEM fit and finish, and don't negatively effect vehicle crash dynamics. Fortunately Ford does, and already did that for us.

I can sympathize with some feelings about building a complete clone, but sorry the GT350 and it's unique components are very functional, there is no denying the benefit of using them.
Yeh but cmon you can't slap a spoiler and fender scoop and a rear bumper and pretend you're going faster.

Spending money on aero and not touching the car performance-wise is just retarded and poser. You're better actually spending all that money making it look like a GT350 into actually performing comparably to one first. Just as bad as slapping an aero kit and fart can on a Honda pretending it goes faster.

Dave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
My opinion has always been, if you do the complete job (a real, good replica) and it's made clear it's a replica, especially when the originals are stupid rare then it's cool. If you half-ass it, it's... Half-assed. :shrug:

Using GT350 parts on a GT, i.e. brakes, aero, etc. I don't see why it's a problem. Putting the badges on it, eh, that's kinda lame IMO.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
My opinion has always been, if you do the complete job (a real, good replica) and it's made clear it's a replica, especially when the originals are stupid rare then it's cool. If you half-ass it, it's... Half-assed. :shrug:

Using GT350 parts on a GT, i.e. brakes, aero, etc. I don't see why it's a problem. Putting the badges on it, eh, that's kinda lame IMO.
If you do it all the way and have the balls under the aero to back it up that's one thing. Slapping a body kit and spoiler on and it can't beat a lightly modded GT makes it laughable. It's still a Honda lowered to the ground with a body kit and fart can, and no balls, to me

Spend the money on the actual performance rather than pretending and making it only look fast. It's more laughable to me to spend money on aero and not mod the performance at all. It you have both then that's a different story
Sponsored