Sponsored

Whats the best way to start your Mustang after Winter storage?

Edgemere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edge
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium
Greetings,

I stored my 2022 Mustang GT for the Winter. First Winter that I have owned my Mustang. I did all the things you should. Batter trickle charge, stabil in the fuel tank, inflate tires to higher PSI, etc. So now that Spring is coming, what is the best way to start my Mustang up? It has been in Winter storage since last Halloween, and I hope to have my Mustang out and about by the end of March. It has been a long Winter for me. Please advise.

Thanks
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Greetings,

I stored my 2022 Mustang GT for the Winter. First Winter that I have owned my Mustang. I did all the things you should. Batter trickle charge, stabil in the fuel tank, inflate tires to higher PSI, etc. So now that Spring is coming, what is the best way to start my Mustang up? It has been in Winter storage since last Halloween, and I hope to have my Mustang out and about by the end of March. It has been a long Winter for me. Please advise.

Thanks
Hi. Mine stays in storage from November until May.
Here's what I do:

November 1st: Hook up my battery maintainer.
May 1st: Unhook my battery maintainer, fire her up.

Works like a charm for 6 years now.

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
Hi. Mine stays in storage from November until May.
Here's what I do:

November 1st: Hook up my battery maintainer.
May 1st: Unhook my battery maintainer, fire her up.

Works like a charm for 6 years now.
That's the response I had imagined when I read the headline. Push the button.

TrueBlue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.3L High Performance Package Fastback
Been storing my 2011 GT Convertible since the winter of 2016-17, so I’m in my ninth winter of storage. My startup routine consists of:
- Remove and store vehicle cover
- Disconnect battery maintainer cord
- Insert and turn key (hey, it’s old!) and start engine
- Move car our of garage
- Reset tire pressure to spec (I store at 48-50psi)
- Inspect vehicle for fluid leaks, tire issues, etc (hey, it’s old!)
- Lower roof, enjoy first drive!!

I have both of my Mustangs in storage this winter, largely due to a bad health situation that required major surgery and left me unable to drive for nearly two months. Pulling the Ponys out of storage this year will have extra-special meaning: life-affirming!!!

Sponsored

Jxp1962

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
People sure do overthink stuff...

Be sure to open the garage door before you pull out...
Lol
This year, i feel ive made the best decision ever, being from maine, as always i put my car away first snow/sleet or really upon the first application of salt/sand and that brine application they put down which is so bad for the underside of my car…. This year, we had a fairly mild winter. I pulled my car out of winter storage in february instead of the usual april. Best decision ever….

Being a convertible, i dont leave it outside when it snows, just to ensure no frozen rain or snow sits on the ragtop…. If the streets are clear, im driving it….

life's too short or im too old or both, but regardless… i decided im not gonna wish i could be driving my car, im gonna drive it whenever possible.

Since my hose is frozen, i had to find a local hand wash car wash and get it cleaned every week or so. Ill treat the underside with anti corrosion spray this spring, and i got 40 or 50 more days to drive my car this year, way better than just looking at it through the ring cam in the garage. Best decision ever….

IMG_1343.jpeg

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I read-up on this previously. Below is one related thread. There are several others.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/engine-priming-after-winter-storage.155323/

My Process:

1. Disconnect tender

2. Deflate tires

3. Open garage door :thumbsup:

4. Remove wheel blocks :giggle: (Previously forgotten) :crazy:. WhyTF isn't the car moving?! :curse: Oh, right. :blush:

5. Start car

I push the button and start the car. Two storage periods (4.5 and 4 months respectively) now. The car starts immediately. Oil pressure builds immediately and pegs the needle.

If the situation is one of a previously running car coming out of storage, I fail to see the benefit of attempting to prime it beforehand.

If I put my foot to the floor, spin the engine ahead of time, I'm not really building any pressure? At idle cold, my pressure is maxed; I doubt I'm getting that spinning the engine over without starting. The engine spins for less that two seconds before catching fire and spinning the pump. I'd spend several more seconds at lessened pressure priming.

The oil from several months ago is still there, in-place. While some has drained into the pan, most of the oil galleys will be primed. The oil filter will still be full. Most of the oil is clinging to parts.

Priming a new engine, after a rebuild, before starting? Certainly. The service manual for my truck notes if rebuilding the engine I should add an additional quart of oil, as the galleys and pathways are empty. Priming will fill those up. But that's been accomplished with a previously driven car.

YMMV.

Last edited:

Aless_andro00

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang
There's a helpful tip I know. Before you start the car, it might be good to turn the engine a bit without actually starting it. This helps spread the oil around inside. You can do this by turning off the system that makes the car start. But with new cars, you don't really need to worry about this step much.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I store mine as well, however I had a few nice days in January, so I got mine out for a few hours. My process is the same as many above, remove cover, remove battery tender, fire it up. Clean and re-cover when I get home :)

Sponsored

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
Just hit the button. It's a car. :computerrage:

FWIW, I drive mine every week or 2 thru the winter. It don"t snow everyday and if you time it right there's no salt or slush on the roads.

Last edited:

Stangalang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' GT Altas Blue
I've been driving my GT through out this light winter we've had. Total of 31.4" for the entire season. But I did own a C5 Corvette prior to this. I generally stored it around Thanksgiving time in the garage with a maintainer always on. I generally add a little more PSI in the tire then make sure it has a full tank of gas before it goes into storage.

For the GT if the following winter is worse, I've thought about finding a cover for it and plugging in a maintainer.

TrueBlue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.3L High Performance Package Fastback
I read-up on this previously. Below is one related thread. There are several others.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/engine-priming-after-winter-storage.155323/

My Process:

1. Disconnect tender

2. Deflate tires

3. Open garage door :thumbsup:

4. Remove wheel blocks :giggle: (Previously forgotten) :crazy:. WhyTF isn't the car moving?! :curse: Oh, right. :blush:

5. Start car

I push the button and start the car. Two storage periods (4.5 and 4 months respectively) now. The car starts immediately. Oil pressure builds immediately and pegs the needle.

If the situation is one of a previously running car coming out of storage, I fail to see the benefit of attempting to prime it beforehand.

If I put my foot to the floor, spin the engine ahead of time, I'm not really building any pressure? At idle cold, my pressure is maxed; I doubt I'm getting that spinning the engine over without starting. The engine spins for less that two seconds before catching fire and spinning the pump. I'd spend several more seconds at lessened pressure priming.

The oil from several months ago is still there, in-place. While some has drained into the pan, most of the oil galleys will be primed. The oil filter will still be full. Most of the oil is clinging to parts.

Priming a new engine, after a rebuild, before starting? Certainly. The service manual for my truck notes if rebuilding the engine I should add an additional quart of oil, as the galleys and pathways are empty. Priming will fill those up. But that's been accomplished with a previously driven car.

YMMV.
Wheel blocks - crap, I knew I forgot something! Why isn’t my car moving??? 🤣

TonyT930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible in Ruby Red
Greetings,

Thanks
Disconnect the battery tender, depress the brake pedal, depress the start button...

nicksalvadore24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1