OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I couldn't agree more, D and I hope he is wildly successful.

Regarding Armour, I see that they offer two coatings, Armour Quartz Coating ($80) and, Armour PRO Quartz Coating ($120), have you tried either? The Pro version is definitely popular as there are a number of videos and reviews on it and all give it high marks as you've undoubtedly seen in your own research.
I have not used the paint or glass coatings from them. The Pro version requires certification from Armour Detail Supply before they allow you to purchase it. The regular coating sounds like a winner anyway, so I wouldn't bother with the Pro version.
Sponsored

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Ordered me a bottle of KCx RrW today. All the reviews are very positive. I can't wait to try it, I am really getting on board with the whole Rinse Less wash thing anymore, especially for my Mustang as it rarely gets really dirty. I used DIY Detail rinseless yesterday for a quick clean on it, it was just a little dusty. That stuff is great, I really love it. And it foams nicely if you want to go that route. Before long I will have more Rinse Less options than soap options, and thats a LOT :)

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
The regular coating sounds like a winner anyway, so I wouldn't bother with the Pro version.
Works for me, thanks.

Before long I will have more Rinse Less options than soap options, and thats a LOT :)
TOO funny, Alex!

But I have to say, you (and others,) have started to make me think about rinseless washes although I've never done one of these previously. <smile> Like you, mine never gets "dirty" by any stretch of the imagination, just dust, and yet I do a full detail on her every time.

The thing is, I don't know if my obsessive behavior will allow me to try it as the thought of drying/wiping her down while she still has at least a partially contaminated surface, makes me cringe.

So, for those who regularly do rinseless washes, what is your favorite product for this task?

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
But I have to say, you (and others,) have started to make me think about rinseless washes although I've never done one of these previously. <smile> Like you, mine never gets "dirty" by any stretch of the imagination, just dust, and yet I do a full detail on her every time.

The thing is, I don't know if my obsessive behavior will allow me to try it as the thought of drying/wiping her down while she still has at least a partially contaminated surface, makes me cringe.

So, for those who regularly do rinseless washes, what is your favorite product for this task?
If I can get past that barrier, so can you! The thing is, you pick your mark with rinse-less. If the car is properly dirty, then obviously using soap and water is a natural choice. If you are just washing off the dust and maybe a stray bug or two, rinse-less can be a very useful skill to have. The only barrier is dealing with wheels, I don't like using rinse-less for wheels, but then there is nothing to say you can't clean them as you normally would.

In terms of products, there are two main types, Polymer based and Surfactant based. Both work in a similar fashion, but I prefer polymer types because of the slicker feel. My favorite is P&S Absolute, it's slick and smells fantastic. Opti-Coat No Rinse is also a favorite, again a polymer type but with Si02 added for even more slickness.

P&S Detail Products - Absolute Rinseless Wash | The Rag Company
Opti-Coat - No Rinse | The Rag Company

IMG-5178.jpg

IMG-8276.jpg

BUT BUT BUT............................. it's technique that is the key to doing rinse-less safely. I personally use the multiple towel / Garry Dean method, meaning a towel never re-enters the bucket, and therefore you wash solution never gets contaminated.

When you have the time, this is the method I use (yes, I know its him again, but the videos are high quality and demonstrate the method brilliantly). In this case, he is using the surfactant-based McKee's N-914, which is a nice product but not as slick feeling as Absolute or Opti-Coat No Rinse.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Works for me, thanks.

TOO funny, Alex!

I have at least 4 products on hand at the moment. 3 are polymer based (Absolute, Optimum wash n wax and Opticoat). I have a surfactant based (DIY Detail), I like the DIY because if mixed stronger than rhe 256:1 it does produce foam for a cling pre soak which can be nice. And it is reasonably slick as well. I also have Carpro Ech20 which can be used as Rinseless as well. I definitely don't use on a really dirty car. And if it's gritty I rinse first then wash. And I agree with D. Wheels are hard for me to do with Rinseless. I do use the ultra black sponge though. It freaked me out at first but if the proper technique is used it is perfectly safe. Watching DIY detail videos helped me perfect the technique..highly recommended on a relatively clean car that is just dusty or minor road film. I have used it when I have driven in the rain and just got some road splatter on the lower panels. I just make sure to really pre soak those areas first. I am really looking forward to trying KCx Rapid Rinseless wash.

Sponsored

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Anyone like this Sonax stuff anymore? Used it for the first time in over a year and leaves a nice, smooth finish. If some product is better than this, what now supercedes this product? Thanks

IMG_2883.jpeg

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Have you given this one a try yet, D?

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone like this Sonax stuff anymore? Used it for the first time in over a year and leaves a nice, smooth finish. If some product is better than this, what now supercedes this product? Thanks

IMG_2883.jpeg
I still use Sonax wheel cleaner on the Bronco but have never tried that stuff. The Mustang has small bottle ceramic on the wheels so no need. I'm sure other good stuff has come out, but Sonax's wheel cleaner is one of those things that has stuck for me for a long time.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
If I can get past that barrier, so can you!
You just gave me my first morning chuckle, D, thanks. <BSEG>

BUT BUT BUT............................. it's technique that is the key to doing rinse-less safely.
Copy all and I have now watched a good portion of all three clips and they all seem to align with my obsessiveness so that's a good thing. <laughing>

BUT BUT BUT..I have a number of questions that I will add as I go. ;=)

The thing is, you pick your mark with rinse-less.
I certainly get that, D, but thinking about how one would determine what is too dirty for rinseless, I can say with confidence that I would have a difficult time making that call.

My favorite is P&S Absolute
Confession: I have been meaning to say this for some time but of course, it slipped my feeble brain.

You will probably think I'm out to lunch my friend but, I have to tell you that I feel very guilty letting you do all the investigating and product tests while all I do is follow your lead and buy products. It honestly feels like "stealing" to me.

Odds are you'll chuckle at that and tell me, "Relax and take a pill, It's what I love to do," <grin> but I still feel guilty. Nonetheless, I promptly ordered a quart of Absolute and a 2-pack of the Gauntlet towels. (Before I picked up the Master Blaster, I used these two types of drying towels from TRC for years. The light blue were used for glass and the darker blue for the body panels.)

drying-towels.png

But, I thought they were a bit rough to the touch for a rinseless wash so I ordered the Gauntlet pack. Having done that I would like to know if you have any experience with this type of drying towel and, whether it actually would be OK to use for drying after a rinseless? They were extremely effective for wiping down a thoroughly wet vehicle and I loved them.

Moving on..

The OG Vids were most informative and good ol' Matty didn't act too pretentious, <smile> but, he did put out some very good information on technique. However comma, I gotta say that watching him drag a towel over even a slightly contaminated vehicle (let alone a Porsche,) with barely any water, made me cringe more than a little.

Now, if Sarah was filmed as the GT3 is, NBD at all, a dirty towel and almost no pressure certainly won't mar the film BUT, doing this on painted surfaces that are not filmed is another story in my mind.

Plus, (and this may be what determines how frequently I opt for a rinseless wash,) it obviously takes a whole lot more time to clean the vehicle than with a PW and mitt. The vids didn't record the entire washing process so I don't know how long it actually took but, I'm willing to bet that I could do a regular wash including a blow dry, in half the time. Better still, I won't wind up with a dozen or more contaminated towels to wash. <smile>

Therefive, your comment about picking your battles is right on point. Living in south Texas where the weather is nearly always warm enough to wash outside year round and, the fact that I'm quite sure I can finish in less time with a normal wash, I am hard pressed to come up with a situation where rinseless would be the right choice for Sarah.

BUT, I CAN see me using that method on her car where I don't care nearly as much about the clear coat although obviously, only when it's just slightly contaminated. The pickup is another matter due to its size and, the thought of painstakingly wiping every square inch methodically is quite exhausting so "Ruby" will almost certainly never get a rinseless.

Anywho, many thanks for the priceless info on rinseless, (my obsessive behavior would NEVER allow me to do a waterless,) <chuckling> but while rinseless may only be something I do rarely, I can easily see how it or waterless, would be very useful for folks who live in areas with inclement weather and/or, freezing temps.

I have at least 4 products on hand at the moment.
D, I think Alex is your long, lost twin brother! <BSEG>

Alex: Have you purchased a couple large cabinets, put down porous, rubber tiles on the garage floor and, decided which video camera and lights you will need for your upcoming YooToob detailing channel? (ANOTHER <BSEG>) ;=) Kidding aside, thanks for your input on the subject.

And finally..

Well....................................:wink:
You KNOW I am tempted, D <laughing> but, I don't think I need another polisher and while the power cords can get in the way from time to time, the fact that they DON'T require charging batteries is, IMO, a huge plus. (I don't want to even think about the number of batteries I have on chargers around here.) :=)

Report to follow after I give rinseless a go on the Caddy.

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
The first of two Knipex tools I ordered, and my first interaction with this brand.

Knipex 31 15 160 Flat Nose Pliers -

Knipex 31 15 160 Flat Nose Pliers (Needle-Nose Pliers) Chrome Plated with Multi-Component Grips, 160 mm : Amazon.com.au: Home Improvement

Flat Nose Pliers (Needle-Nose Pliers) | KNIPEX

IMG-0176.jpg

IMG-0179.jpg

IMG-0181.jpg

Initial impressions are of quality, the soft touch handles in particular.
I love Knipex and have a few of their pliers. The pliers wrench is great. There’s a couple types where I prefer Klein as a DIYer but generally I will check Knipex first.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
You just gave me my first morning chuckle, D, thanks. <BSEG>

D, I think Alex is your long, lost twin brother! <BSEG>

Alex: Have you purchased a couple large cabinets, put down porous, rubber tiles on the garage floor and, decided which video camera and lights you will need for your upcoming YooToob detailing channel? (ANOTHER <BSEG>) ;=) Kidding aside, thanks for your input on the subject.
Bro, the cabinets are gonna be real thing for me soon, I am quickly running out of real estate in my narrow 1 car garage. I still keep my restock supplies in the house on a shelf in my spare bedroom. And I do need to do some kind of flooring, mine is sealed concrete so it works but would be nice to have something better...

As for your comment above regarding dragging the drying towel across almost dry paint, I always save some of the rinseless solution in my sprayer and I will spritz the panels again lightly before drying, basically give the drying towel something to mop up...

And I do love the Gauntlet towels, however my latest favorite is the Gyeon Q2M Silk Dryer Evo. That thing works good, it is really big, light weight, and absorbs really well. I had 1 and just ordered 2 more LOL. It doesn't absorb as well as the Gauntlet but does good enough for rinseless. And the huge GYEON logo embossed in the towel is cool to me :)

https://gyeonusa.com/collections/drying-towels/products/q-m-silk-dryer-evo
Sponsored