Sponsored

What would prevent you from buying the S650?

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Well, recently payed off my 18 GT PP1, 6sp vert so the s650 would have to be extra special to pry the s550 from my possession...After getting a good look at it and options, sadly it is not.
First, price is up close to 50% over what I paid for my car in 18. Secondly, that ipad wanna be dash is simply ugly. Make the computer screen dash a tech package option. Give the dissenting crowd a more traditional, heritage edition dash option. The double eyebrow dash design was there from the beginning and now this?? My premium GT dash with the 12" LCD display, along with the center stack display makes the new s650 setup look awful.
I could live with the exterior but it is a step backwards from the S550 IMOP. Finally, you are throwing the dice on reliability on the first 2-3yrs of this design. If I was in the market to replace what I have, I would find a clean used GT350 or Mach 1.
Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I want to buy another V8 before the great gig in the sky. I wish it could be a Mustang. I also wish they would have learned sooner that we don't want to adjust the radio with an ipad, but with a knob. I fear it's too late now.
Touch controls you have to look at suck... in any car, not just Mustangs.

bigred90gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
No worries, hope you find something. Maybe an 03-04 cobra?

I never had bias against one company or another. I’ve had corvettes, mustangs, and even a SRT 8 charger back in 2013. They were all fun cars and I would have kept the vette if these Houston streets didn’t suck so bad, lol.
I live in Midtown and cringe every time I drive down Gray or Westheimer.

OP
OP
jd_cobra

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Ingot Silver
Westheimer has been bad for forever. I try to avoid that whole area by the galleria if I can.

bigred90gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Westheimer has been bad for forever. I try to avoid that whole area by the galleria if I can.
I'm further east of that, but that area is bad for traffic. I'm right off Bagby. That end of Gray and westheimer are complete trash. You'll knock a filling loose driving down gray if you're not careful. Dallas, Gray, Alabama and Westheimer all rank on roads I would love to never have to drive down again.

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
The interior, front overhang, and the fact that its essentially just a refresh of the S550. I don't like how they didn't integrate the screens. Looks terrible. The front overhang looks like a bad front wheel drive car overhang. People will say they are the same and show photos (from slightly different angles) that make them look exactly the same (but even the S550 has a bit long of an overhang for a RWD car), but the reality is the S650 has a longer, more protruding hoodline at the front due to the shape of the new front end. I think the overhang is about the same as the S550 at the lower front splitter, but that never mattered anyway, it's the protruding hood I can't get over. I'll reserve final judgement on graphics until I see one in person, but the front and rear graphics (lights, etc.) are not good. They did not need to add the black paneling below the grille on the GT. It looks bad. The gray plastic/paneling on the darkhorse under the lights looks bad. The crease in the rear looks bad. The one thing I do like about the refresh is what they did with the side, cleaning it up a little bit.

I mean, look at that overhang!
1684429121497.png

Last edited:

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
If they fixed the interior (actual integration of the screens) and came out with a bad-ass new Cobra or Boss version, I might be tempted. However, that would probably be a $100k+ car then and my Mach is paid off plus I love it so far.

noGreta!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus IS350 F Sport
Westheimer is a joke. You have to stay on the left side, avoid the potholes and the junkies and hope you reach the other end safe.

2.jpg

OP
OP
jd_cobra

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Ingot Silver
Westheimer is a joke. You have to stay on the left side, avoid the potholes and the junkies and hope you reach the other end safe.

2.jpg
No joke lol. My gun stays in my lap at all times on westheimer/Richmond. I’ve seen some shit… glad they opened a house of pies by me off 290.

Sponsored

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
No, I meant 1968. That price of $57K for a 1968 911 S is adjusted for inflation in today's money.
Agreed 'if adjusted for inflation' Must've missed that

Crazy how a base 911 is double that today.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Agreed 'if adjusted for inflation' Must've missed that

Crazy how a base 911 is double that today.
Imagine getting a Carrera S for $57K today. Instead it's $131,300.00

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
The dash is the deal breaker for me. Don’t like that it’s more of a refresh than whole new platform, 550’s look better front/rear than the new 650’s.
I don't mind if it's a refresh of the S550. The alternative Ford considered was to build it on the Explorer's platform, and that would have made the next Mustang even fatter.

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
Having grown up in the sixties I love my S550 cos it
Looks
Sounds &
Goes like a muscle car from the sixties when the world was a better place

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
I don't mod so the ECU doesn't bother me so much but the screens are my biggest issue. They look terrible, and I hate having to do everything on a screen. The buttons they did keep look like crap too. I do think those waiting this one out a bit are playing it safe. The sync 3 in my Mach 1 is glitchy AF. I can't imagine all that new screen stuff is going to go off without a hitch. The main reason I won't be going to a S650 is I love my Mach 1. There is nothing about the S650 that would get me out of it. I like the way the S550 looks a lot better, particularly the M1 front end. The interior on S650 in terms of materials only got slightly better...but it lost all of the unique Mustang touches such as round air vents, dual brow, the toggles, etc and then they threw in those hideous screens. I would say the steering wheel is a plus, but the rebadged Bronco center is too bulky.
Sponsored