What tire is everyone using to daily supercharged mustang

Rodpwnz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 PP1 401A GT
I don't want to trash on the Nittos because I haven't really done much research, but unless I'm missing something - G2's are pretty garbage tires from what I've seen and heard. I've never considered them among the other top summer 300TW+ tires like Conti ECS02, Mich PS4S, or Potenza Sport. If on a budget, check out tire rack's comparison chart: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHP

The link is for Ultra High Performance tires, but you can change tire category and size to show different tires and prices.
Sponsored

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I run hankook ventus v12... much better than the G2, lol. Holds power pretty decently I'd say for what it is.

Last edited:

vaeevictiss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Just went through this. I have Mickey Thompson Drag Radials 305-35-20 and with 800hp it hooks very well. I can do kickdowns from 45MPH and have no traction issues. BUT....they are not ideal for normal driving. They are choppy, sticky (throw stuff up) and I can't get caught in the rain with them.

So I put a Nitto 555G2 on them and it drives so well. No chop, no crap getting thrown around and I went through my first thunderstorm with them, no issues. BUT....with the 800hp I cannot put the power down. I have to roll into the throttle. I haven't done any kickdowns but I will tomorrow.

There isn't a perfect solution that's I've found. Pilot Sport +2's, Toyo RRR and the like will have the same issues. I'm putting the Mickey's on another set of rims. It's why people have drag pack setups and street setups.
Because the g2 isn't intended to be a rear tire. The R2's are. But I'm glad you didn't wind up in a ditch using them in a thunderstorm lol

Not surprised you have traction issues. G2 in the front. R2 in the rear.

jpjr501

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - Procharged
Because the g2 isn't intended to be a rear tire. The R2's are. But I'm glad you didn't wind up in a ditch using them in a thunderstorm lol

Not surprised you have traction issues. G2 in the front. R2 in the rear.
Nitto only making G2's for the fronts only these days, haha?

vaeevictiss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Nitto only making G2's for the fronts only these days, haha?
The idea is the r2s wear much faster than the g2 and there's no benefit from having them in the front over the g2. It's going to save you money in the long run and give better performance.

Sponsored

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
Another vote for ditch the nittos. Michelin super sports as wide as possible in the rear or continental sports.

I am not supercharged but on E85 and 3.73s in the rear. I can still spin the tires in 2nd gear but third usually hooks hard. OEM pirellis never stopped spinning once they got going.

As I put in another thread I had the G2s on my 250hp 68 mustang with 3.73s and a locker in the back and they had atrocious traction. I’d never use nittos again.

Turbolag87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My18 gt
nitto R2 have really good reviews...thats the tire im going to be running... My firehawks were have decent with my paxton setup.. Once they wore a tad, they felt like hockey pucks. For the money the Firehawks did well.

SBR70.3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT Premium, 23 Explorer ST, 19 GTI (DD)
My setup in sig.

For daily driving, I use Conti Extreme Contact Sport 02 in front. 275 35 20. For the rear, I use General G-Max RS 305 35 20. With a boosted setup, really no street tire will hook from a dig, but to echo a previous post, these do reasonably well. The price isn't bad and they are relatively durable.

For track use, I use Conti ECS02 275 35 20 on all 4 sides.

A good "stop the hop" kit and subframe bushing supports help significantly.

I have not used Nitto 555G2's on this car, but I had them on my 2019 GTI (decently modded) and they were absolute trash. I spoke to some guys I met at Hallett during an HPDE day who used them on their mustangs and they had good things to say about them on the track. In the wet....they are useless.

Ls_Eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic Metallic GT
Vehicle Showcase
NT555 RII - The G2's are great for the fronts - and decent summer tire but they won't hold your power.

The RII's can handle Map 2 for me which is around 850-900 wheel & last 12-15k miles and drive exceptionally well in the rain.

SBR70.3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT Premium, 23 Explorer ST, 19 GTI (DD)
Yes G2s suck, they are just a horrible all around tire. Most all season tires will probably do better in every category.

I don't know why everyone wants to go with G2s. How is Nitto getting every mustang owner to buy these...

Like the 3rd or 4th thread I have seen on here about people wanting to get G2s in the last week.
I bought mine off of Discount Tire. Went to leave a review after a month of ownership and absolutely hating them for all of the reasons posted here and the website would not let me leave a review! I am convinced Nitto is paying for the fake reviews somehow. The only thing that tire is good for is hydroplaning.

Sponsored

Nawsad123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bonez
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Nitto G2s are garbage. If your not going to accelerate or 'use' your power then its fine. But dont expect to be able to hit it randomly and think you will hook. For anything over 700rwhp, weather not in ideal conditions etc, its a liability keeping that tire on a car with that much power. Ran the g2s, ended up just running the r888r's as my 'daily'

JVO21303

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT stage 2 stage one supercharger
My setup in sig.

For daily driving, I use Conti Extreme Contact Sport 02 in front. 275 35 20. For the rear, I use General G-Max RS 305 35 20. With a boosted setup, really no street tire will hook from a dig, but to echo a previous post, these do reasonably well. The price isn't bad and they are relatively durable.

For track use, I use Conti ECS02 275 35 20 on all 4 sides.

A good "stop the hop" kit and subframe bushing supports help significantly.

I have not used Nitto 555G2's on this car, but I had them on my 2019 GTI (decently modded) and they were absolute trash. I spoke to some guys I met at Hallett during an HPDE day who used them on their mustangs and they had good things to say about them on the track. In the wet....they are useless.
Yeah the stop the hop kit really helps keep the power to the ground. I went g2 this time for longevity can’t be buying tires every6 month tread depth was also a factor 11.6 compared to 6 -9. Will see how it goes when monsoons hit rain mode all day hahah

2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
19' GT
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
This thread made me go retest my setup lol.

Michelin AS4 (All Season) in my setup can ALMOST hold 2nd gear through the 2-3 shift with AdvanceTrac completely shut off and no ease-in of throttle. Started from 40mph, and held it all the way through the shift and had a niiiceeee screech on the shift. The car was tracking straight the whole gear and I could tell it wasn't 100% gripping but it wasn't anywhere close to completely slipping either.

I put down 680whp on the dyno, and I've got 3.15 gears with a tall tire so all of these factors are probably the only reason why 2nd gear in an all season can hold so well for me I bet lol.

Obviously, 3rd gear pulls are no problem at all. And as long as you stay in partial throttle you're good to use 1st gear even lol.

I'll retest 2nd gear when I go back to the PS4S for the summer, but I'll be dropping 2" in tire diameter so probably won't be any better.

djcodeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT roush SC
Ive tried drag radials and they arent any better on the street than street tires in my experience. Actually in my experience they ball up rubber and are worse.

These are ET street R's after some street use.

Youll only get a few thousand miles out of them, less if you do burnouts to try to clean them off or get them hot. And they are hella expensive. I stopped using these for alot of reasons.

Ive tried like 15 brands and models of tires over the years (including ps4s and tons of high end expensive tires like potenza s007 etc). Firehawk indy 500s were pretty good, dws06+ are great for all seasons, but my favorite so far is general Gmax RS for summer tires. Obviously nothing will hook from a dig on the street once you are over like 700 rwhp but these do hook reliably for 60-130s. They hook better than ET street Rs for 60-130s in my experience. Ive spun et street r's to 100+ mph.

You can see them breaking loose here at 60+ and marks on the bridge from prior attempts.

General GMAX RS are also cheap and last a decent amount of time and have good rim protection and size options, so, I'm going to stick with these forever now I think.
Nice info... never tried the GMAX yet, have tried many others though

jpjr501

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - Procharged
This thread made me go retest my setup lol.

Michelin AS4 (All Season) in my setup can ALMOST hold 2nd gear through the 2-3 shift with AdvanceTrac completely shut off and no ease-in of throttle. Started from 40mph, and held it all the way through the shift and had a niiiceeee screech on the shift. The car was tracking straight the whole gear and I could tell it wasn't 100% gripping but it wasn't anywhere close to completely slipping either.

I put down 680whp on the dyno, and I've got 3.15 gears with a tall tire so all of these factors are probably the only reason why 2nd gear in an all season can hold so well for me I bet lol.

Obviously, 3rd gear pulls are no problem at all. And as long as you stay in partial throttle you're good to use 1st gear even lol.

I'll retest 2nd gear when I go back to the PS4S for the summer, but I'll be dropping 2" in tire diameter so probably won't be any better.
These are good points, combo is also a factor.

My car has a D1-X Procharger, this head unit makes way less torque but more power than the P1-X with the same boost number. So rolling, the D1-X torque doesn't blaze the rear tires versus a Turbo or Whipple cars which make peak torque down low.

Did some testing last night and rolling at 50, was able to put the power down on G2's after I warmed them up good. From a dig, I don't race there anyway so no testing.

I am going to do a drag pack setup anyway. My car has 6700 miles in 4 years so I don't drive it much anyways. I"m buying Quick Jack 5000LT so swapping over will be easy.
Sponsored