Sponsored

What should we realistically expect to be revealed on the 17th?

jjw

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.shelbyparts.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 PP2, 05 STI 475whp, 04 cayenne turbo, Shelbys
Word has it they are unhappy with the weight that is why nothing has been released.
First I've heard anything like this.

It would seem anything less than 700 on the 350 would be insulting unless it costs around the same as the whipple would to install and is only slightly less in hp. If not, i'd much rather go stock and add the whipple later.
The 350 wont a big HP forced induction car like the 500. It wont be anywhere near 600hp, much less 700. I dont expect it to be much over 500 personally.
Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I've mentioned this in the past, but it may bear repeating here.

Taking a cue from the C7 Corvette timeline:

1. Reveal in January @ Detroit Auto Show
2. No real news until April and the Corvette Museum Event. Most details released then, but not pricing or options packages.
3. First-Drive magazine reviews at the end of July
4. Orders in August/September
5. Deliveries in October maybe

Can't remember exactly when orders and deliveries were first started, but I remember that there were many great details provided in April @ the Corvette Museum event.

Also, with the C7, the weight and power were somewhat disappointing to many. Initially GM did reveal that the frame was 100 lbs lighter, but the overall car ended up about 50-100 lbs heavier, which upset many. Also, GM said "at least" 450 HP, and based on precedent from the ZR1 and ZL1, people expected that to be a low-ball number. Car ended up with 455 or 460 (with performance exhaust), which was also a let-down to some.

However, if you look at the total package, the C7 is by far the best Vette ever made (not necessarily the best in terms of performance, but rather in terms of the interior, quality, driving feel, etc.), so even though some details weren't as good as some people hoped, GM really did deliver.

Ford has so far followed a very similar pattern with the Mustang, so my guess is that we will get most of the engineering details in April, with pricing to follow a few months later.

Also, GM did wait an entire year to reveal the Z06, so I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar for the GT350 (although I hope it is shown sooner, as that is what I am waiting for).

-T

OP
OP
Free Agent

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Ford has so far followed a very similar pattern with the Mustang, so my guess is that we will get most of the engineering details in April, with pricing to follow a few months later.
The problem with that is order banks open up May 11th I believe. Hard to ask someone to order something and option it out without knowing the pricing. Certainly we would have to see pricing before May 11th I would think.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Ford claims to have something 'HUGE' to announce for the anniversary . A few details about the car is not huge.

johnnyblack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197
They said there would be something HUGE to announce? Link?

I know Ford said there's exciting stuff planned for the 50th but never heard them say something huge to announce.

Sponsored

Fox9350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 5.0 GT (former car)
I'm in texas too but the hot seats really shouldn't be a huge problem anymore they have cooled seats now
I was just thinking that. I have cooled leather seats in my Kia and it's pretty good. It's fairly effective when you're wearing a cotton t shirt.

OP
OP
Free Agent

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
They said there would be something HUGE to announce? Link?

I know Ford said there's exciting stuff planned for the 50th but never heard them say something huge to announce.
I don't remember it either. This is how people get disappointed when they expect something big and it doesn't happen. Hence why I'm asking what REALISTICALLY is going to be shown/shared.

johnnyblack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197
I don't remember it either. This is how people get disappointed when they expect something big and it doesn't happen. Hence why I'm asking what REALISTICALLY is going to be shown/shared.
Yea totally agree. It starts with one person who says it and gets repeated as fact and everyone ends up disappointed.

I doubt Ford said that. Even if they had something big to announce they wouldn't tip their hand like that.

johnnyblack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197
It's talking about the Empire State Bldg......that's why the emphasis on monumental.

Anyway big things coming your way could mean big celebration. It's different than Ford saying there is a big ANNOUNCEMENT.

Sponsored

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
Here is my educated guess based on what to realistically expect. I work at at a large volume Ford dealership and order all of our vehicles. I've been there for 15 years. I do not work for Ford Motor Company (dealers are franchises), so I don't have any insider info, just 15 years of watching Ford unveil products.

So, IMO, April 17th, Ford will likely unveil the 50th Anniversary version (since they've already shown the V6 & GT models to the world). Don't count on the GT350 intro until much later in the year - maybe even early next year as it'll be a 2016 model at the earliest.

Order banks are still on track to open the second week of May. The Friday before (May 9th), we will likely get the 2015 Mustang Order Guides and pricing should go live in the order banks.

HP, TQ, and fuel economy specifics may not be available by the time the order banks open. SAE and EPA certifications often come after ordering starts, so that's normal. Also, consider that Ford opens the order banks early for "system fill" by dealers, not for customers to place orders, necessarily. So, final specs don't have to be available for dealers to order cars for dealer inventory. If a customer wants to special order a car that early in the game, they do so without all the specs finalized. Those who need to know every last detail should wait before placing their orders. Again, this is quite normal with most new model launches.

Shredicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E92 M3
Here is my educated guess based on what to realistically expect. I work at at a large volume Ford dealership and order all of our vehicles. I've been there for 15 years. I do not work for Ford Motor Company (dealers are franchises), so I don't have any insider info, just 15 years of watching Ford unveil products.

So, IMO, April 17th, Ford will likely unveil the 50th Anniversary version (since they've already shown the V6 & GT models to the world). Don't count on the GT350 intro until much later in the year - maybe even early next year as it'll be a 2016 model at the earliest.

Order banks are still on track to open the second week of May. The Friday before (May 9th), we will likely get the 2015 Mustang Order Guides and pricing should go live in the order banks.

HP, TQ, and fuel economy specifics may not be available by the time the order banks open. SAE and EPA certifications often come after ordering starts, so that's normal. Also, consider that Ford opens the order banks early for "system fill" by dealers, not for customers to place orders, necessarily. So, final specs don't have to be available for dealers to order cars for dealer inventory. If a customer wants to special order a car that early in the game, they do so without all the specs finalized. Those who need to know every last detail should wait before placing their orders. Again, this is quite normal with most new model launches.
Good post. Appreciate the insight.:clap2:

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Thanks, man! That sounds spot on...especially as you've been spot on for the last few major model changes (2005, 2010).

OP
OP
Free Agent

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.

Thanks for your insights. So it is totally possible we are only going to see the finished 50th anniversary model and not get any HP/TQ, weight, pricing or any new specs at all. This is what I was fearing but certainly Ford can't wait much longer with the May 11th order banks opening date coming up. We really are starving for some new information. I like to make plans in advance as well and this wait is "killing" me.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
Thanks, man! That sounds spot on...especially as you've been spot on for the last few major model changes (2005, 2010).
I hope I'm right, but it's been much harder getting info from my contacts at Ford over the last few years.
Sponsored