What is the single best performance suspension mod you have done

Wraith_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
What would you say is the single best performance suspension mod you have done to your Mustang? What mod mad the biggest difference to you in regards to how the car performed after this part was installed.

I personally think the single best suspension mod I did was the LCA spherical bearing. This made the biggest difference in how the rear of the car felt under hard acceleration or even at highway speed or higher speeds. This really made the rear of the car feel much more planted and it eliminated the sway that S550 is notorious for. I was originally going to go with the BMR but at the time they were out of stock so I went with the UPR and they are great and have been installed for almost a year now on my 2017 daily driven Mustang.

1701875906741.png

These are offered from UPR, Steeda, BMR and others

UPR Products Rear Lower Control Arm Bearing Kit 2003-01
https://www.beefcakeracing.com/2003-01/
1701876010956.png

BMR LCA Rear Bearing Kit Standard BK081
https://www.beefcakeracing.com/bk081/
1701875987235.png

BMR Rear Lower Control Arm Spherical Bearing Kit BK055
https://www.beefcakeracing.com/bk055/
1701876050370.png

Steeda Spherical Bearings Rear Lower Control Arm 555-4117
https://www.beefcakeracing.com/steeda-555-4117/
1701876079835.png
Sponsored

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
So far, Steeda IRS braces and alignment bushing kit but that's all I've done. Car handles noticeably better.

I will know more after I install camber plates, sways, G-trac k-member brace, bump steer kit, and springs. Wheels and tires can also make a big difference.

Problem is once you start tinkering with the chassis/suspension, it can quickly get out of hand lol

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
the biggest diff was the subframe lockout kit.
NVH hasn't increased by any perceptible degree.

1. SF lockout kit 90% - most wheel hop mitigated
2. ford performance toe bearing 5% - more wheel hop mitigated with less tracking in the rood
3. steeda pro action adjustable shocks in rear 3% - huge improvement over stock shocks in every way even on their softest setting.
4. kelltrac big bertha bolt kit/poly inserts in the rear for the diff 2% - helped with eliminating the big clunk/bang on hard upshifts as well as some wheel hop

I have rear LCA bearings, steeda dual rate springs, and front adjustable shocks to install next.
I'm hoping that will be the end of things but the SF being so flimsy will probably necessitate BMR's SF brace kit.

the car is slowly getting dialed in just the way i like it. it was 90% there off the showroom floor and now we're like 98% to where she needs to be.

Sponsored

Hostil

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
1. Steeda IRS Braces
2. BMR BK081 LCA Bearings
3. Steeda IRS bushings and Alignment kit
3. Steeda Progressive front springs and Steeda Rear Drag spring
4. Koni shocks ( yellow)

NVH never increased, car is much more predictable and feels like one unit, sway and wheel hop is a thing of the past, I can get hard into the gas and I know exactly how the car will respond.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
Hey this is Junior from N4SM. On my 2016 GT I did a lot at once for the rear, I wasn't able to feel progression in the parts being added. With everything the car feels great.
BMR Vertical Links
UPR Camber arms
UPR Toe Links
BMR Subframe brace/ lockout kit
Steeda Swaybar's/ Links

I am afraid to start doing stiffer rear bushings. I daily drive the car and I don't want to take away from the "comfort". The car feels stiff already but I don't really want to add to it and make it drastically worse. Anyone have insight on which bushings might be good for that?

vinny89gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
LaFlamaBlanca
Vehicle(s)
2023 Iconic Silver GT PP
1. Steeda IRS Braces
2. BMR BK081 LCA Bearings
3. Steeda IRS bushings and Alignment kit
3. Steeda Progressive front springs and Steeda Rear Drag spring
4. Koni shocks ( yellow)

NVH never increased, car is much more predictable and feels like one unit, sway and wheel hop is a thing of the past, I can get hard into the gas and I know exactly how the car will respond.
Why'd you go progressive spring in front and linear in the rear? Was it just more for aesthetics so you had a bit more rake? Got any pics of the stance?

Sponsored

Volta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP1, GX470, NA8C Miata
I don't mean to hijack the thread but I felt this is probably a good thread to ask. I just put Steeda Progressive springs, 19x10/19x11 wheels and 285/35r19 305/35r19 tires on it. The car feels strange sometimes. Turning left or right, if you let off the gas, the rear end of the car sort of sways to the outside of the direction you're turning. What mods would I be looking at to mitigate this? Lockout kit probably?

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang CS, 2024 Civic Type R, SV650
I'm going to have to get that Steeda IRS kit when there's a sale on.
You're going to be waiting a while. I tracked the pricing for a year and the only real sale is black Friday / Cyber Monday. Not sure about shipping to CA, but Jegs is the only major retailer still offering a reasonable discount.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
If I had to choose just 1, it would have to be replacing the PP1 rear dampers with the track versions. The OEM parts are completely unsuitable for the car... unless you like riding a porpoise. 🐬

turbofiveoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I don't mean to hijack the thread but I felt this is probably a good thread to ask. I just put Steeda Progressive springs, 19x10/19x11 wheels and 285/35r19 305/35r19 tires on it. The car feels strange sometimes. Turning left or right, if you let off the gas, the rear end of the car sort of sways to the outside of the direction you're turning. What mods would I be looking at to mitigate this? Lockout kit probably?
Progressive springs feel weird because the spring rate is progressive. I started with the progressive springs and FPS shocks and struts because I just wanted to lower the car with better dampers. As I became more comfortable with the car I added the subframe bushings, cradle lockout, LCA bearings, vertical links, camber arms, toe arms, sway bars, blah, blah, and the progressive springs had to go. I ended up installing Ohlins coilovers and the car felt completely different. Much better balance and much more predictable behavior after the car gets unsettled.

One thing to add after reading nightmaremoon's response there may be something going on with your car and that is going to be a discussion all by itself. For me, when I was doing the alignment I could see that the car, at ride height, did not appear to be in the linear section of the spring. So during compression and rebound the spring rate was always changing.

Last edited:

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
That's worth a thread of it's own my man. Probably needs more than one or two round of follow-up questions to get to the bottom of it.
Sponsored