Sponsored

What is the Fastest Speed You Have Reached, and for How Long?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I've gotten to between 140 and 150 nearly every lap at Brainerd on the big track in my GT350. ... I don't really love entering a corner at triple digit speeds.
The whole POINT of Brainerd is going thru T1 with the throttle on the floor. :)

PS. I'd chicken out too. VIR's 'kink' barely rates as a direction change by comparison.

Deleted member 69033

I had my mustang at 130 or so on a long straight back road last summer, but I doubt I'll see it again.... Usually 5-10 over is my speed demon mode. I like getting there better. I drive like an old granny.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MidnightStars

MidnightStars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I had my mustang at 130 or so on a long straight back road last summer, but I doubt I'll see it again.... Usually 5-10 over is my speed demon mode. I like getting there better. I drive like an old granny.
Slow granny gang!
God, the reactions and number of tailgaters I get on the way to & from work! 🤣

Coyote 2121

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt
This s550, about 100 once for a second.....I'm old and make my living driving, so even that was pretty stupid of me...... 🤷🏼‍♂️
But back when I was invincible, I had a new 88 fox body 5.0, LX, hatchback, 5-speed.
They claimed it would do 143.
Can't remember what the rear gear was in it, but it was bone stock and at 60 was tacking 1400rpms.
Just loping along.
Anyway, one day in Texas on I-10, about midway between Houston and San Antonio, I had a long straight stretch coming over a hill and I could see over a mile ahead.
No cars, no cops, so I verified it would make 143.
Took "FOREVER" as I remember.
And I think I got a cramp in my taint during that run. But it was invigorating to be sure.
Can't remember what it was tacking, or if it felt stable, but probably not.

Likeit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
MICHAEL
Vehicle(s)
2021 _ S550
For my fellow, crazy gearheads, what is the fastest speed you have reached, and how long have you maintained it?

For me, it was 130~150 mph (varied based off cylinder head temperature), for almost an hour and a half. Refueled after reaching a quarter tank @ 160 miles. About 12.5 miles to the gallon. All done with zero mods (well, I guess 285/30/20 tires). 6R80 w/ 3.15's.

I have to say, bravo to Ford--there were many moments where I could not tell I was actually driving more than twice the speed limit, it is quite terrifyingly smooth at those speeds. Only complaint? The intense vibrations of the hood--some serious positive pressure building up inside the engine bay. Definitely needs vents, either on the hood, or the front fenders (like the GT350's), to let the air out. Definitely would not drive it any higher than maybe 160 with the OEM design.

Can't wait to amp up the suspension and aero to try 200 mph some day in my life.

I'm more-so asking this, because I'm curious what kind of fuel economy & range you guys may have attained at those speeds. I'm heavily vested in a "high-speed" form of travel. West Texas to Houston in only five to six hours? It feels amazing.

But driving at that capacity for even that much time is FAR more tiring than driving for eight to nine hours normally. Time's cut in half, but all that energy spent in staying focused on every little detail (road conditions, signs, tire pressures, oil temperature, etc.) makes you doubly tired.

Was done "safely." Zero traffic, and a very well memorized highway in the middle of nowhere. Only casualty would have been myself.
I made the hood vents functional instead of being dummy on my S550 it works great remove heat

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Did 53 on a bike down a hill. The goal was 55. 53 on a mountain bike scared me more than crazy fast on a motorcycle. My mountain bike wheels are very poorly balanced.

Sponsored

Paris MkVI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium convertible, 2015 Escape 2.0 Titanium
Vehicle Showcase
110mph on a local airport ramp. We were tracking a small plane during takeoff while shooting footage for a local flight school. That was in the 2006 GT convertible. The fastest the 2015 has been is about 80mph. Haven't been anywhere I would remotely consider pushing beyond that.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
i've done 120 on the straightaway at Road America. I'm just learning so not pushing it.. .LOL...

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
171/172 on my Gixxer for just a minute. When we used to go to the bar back in the late 90’s, on the way home in my 98 T/A I’d run about 100 through probably 10 miles of 45-55mph curves then leave it on the floor in 5th at 155ish for the last straight 20 miles. Every weekend. All my other cars have been topped out at the speed limiter of 155/160ish a few bit. Been a hair over 100 in my old boat many times, seems twice as fast on the water.

OP
OP
MidnightStars

MidnightStars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Did 53 on a bike down a hill. The goal was 55. 53 on a mountain bike scared me more than crazy fast on a motorcycle. My mountain bike wheels are very poorly balanced.
I think I would pick 150+ down a sketchy highway over 50 mph over a mountain bike downhill 😭
Sponsored