What is IAT2?

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Apologies if this is a dumb question but what is IAT2? What does it measure? What is a good temp range? How do you keep it low?

I'm asking because I finally got a top of the line OBD reader and with Torque Pro it has an IAT2 gauge.
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Air temps inside the blower

OP
OP
Matthewstorm

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
IAT1 is the temperature that your intake is seeing, so the filter is drawing air and whatever that temperature is, that's generally referred to as IAT1 or just IAT if there's only 1. In the cases of a supercharger or turbo, the IAT2 is the temperature of the charged air just before it goes into the motor (but after being compressed and intercooled).

So you have ambient air temp (temp of the air around your car) the intake air temp (temp of the air as it goes into the filter, generally a bit warmer due to the proximity to engine bay heat, and then IAT2 which is the air after it's been compressed/charged and intercooled.

OP
OP
Matthewstorm

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
IAT1 is the temperature that your intake is seeing, so the filter is drawing air and whatever that temperature is, that's generally referred to as IAT1 or just IAT if there's only 1. In the cases of a supercharger or turbo, the IAT2 is the temperature of the charged air just before it goes into the motor (but after being compressed and intercooled).

So you have ambient air temp (temp of the air around your car) the intake air temp (temp of the air as it goes into the filter, generally a bit warmer due to the proximity to engine bay heat, and then IAT2 which is the air after it's been compressed/charged and intercooled.
Thanks!

Sponsored

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
You should have an option to show that gauge if you have the digital dash.
I'm pretty sure only iat1 shows on the dash. That would be air pre-supercharger.

OP
OP
Matthewstorm

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have the digital dash but it's not an option that I can find.
Ambient Air or OUTSIDE air is constantly displayed on the center console and dash : you have to go into the gauges settings on the steering wheel and configure the IAT2 to show, and indeed it will show. IAT2 is normally shown by the MAF, but some PD supercharger setups have it "broken out" to show the temps inside of the blower instead.

jon.smith76063

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX Hatch, 1994 Cobra, 2020 Roush Stage 3
Ambient Air or OUTSIDE air is constantly displayed on the center console and dash : you have to go into the gauges settings on the steering wheel and configure the IAT2 to show, and indeed it will show. IAT2 is normally shown by the MAF, but some PD supercharger setups have it "broken out" to show the temps inside of the blower instead.
This right here. You have the option to show multiple gauges and temps. If I am on the track I will show rear diff temp, trans temp and IAT2.

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I will bite, as I have looked for the setting and not found it. Any ideas on getting to it?

jon.smith76063

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will bite, as I have looked for the setting and not found it. Any ideas on getting to it?
I can't remember the exact sequence but this is basically it....

Hit the mustang on the steering wheel. Go to gauges, then select the gauges that you want to disply. There should be 10 options or so.

If you can't get it PM your cell number and I'll make a video and send it to you.

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
I can't remember the exact sequence but this is basically it....

Hit the mustang on the steering wheel. Go to gauges, then select the gauges that you want to disply. There should be 10 options or so.

If you can't get it PM your cell number and I'll make a video and send it to you.
Yes, but doesn't that just show iat? Iat2 is different. Iat is in the maf pre blower. Iat 2 is a separate sensor used in the positive displacement blowers to measure temps after the blower.

jon.smith76063

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, but doesn't that just show iat? Iat2 is different. Iat is in the maf pre blower. Iat 2 is a separate sensor used in the positive displacement blowers to measure temps after the blower.
I’ll have to look. I have a Roush Stage 3 so mine could be different.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I’ll have to look. I have a Roush Stage 3 so mine could be different.
Your car is setup that way from Ford. Some people who install a blower don't even have an IAT2 sensor or connection (it has to be done by the tuner and their preference on tuner kits).
Sponsored