Sponsored

What do you think about tow hooks? Yay or Nay?

mookieit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
john
Vehicle(s)
mustang 2015 v6
So I noticed today that we can add a tow hook to the car.

Is it really necessary for towing?

As of now, I am leaning in getting one, because I think they look cool, but I am hoping to find out more about them.

I only street drive my car.
Sponsored

Last edited:

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
A requirement for most tracks. and if a track does not require them then it is understood that the recovery team will hook to anything they can to remove the veh. as quickly as possible (take your chances on where). For street use if you need to get towed they will usually hook it to the factory tow strapping location on the sub frames. So it is all up to you on what you want. It is your car.

Mine are the Ford Performance setup. But the most popular setup seems to be the ZL-1

20210102_112128.jpg

20210122_085117.jpg

Last edited:

GrayMater22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Premium

As of now, I am leaning in getting one, because I think they look cool, but I am hoping to find out more about them.

Tow hooks are purely for track use, that is why you occasionally see them. I guess some put them on for looks.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Tow hooks are purely for track use, that is why you occasionally see them. I guess some put them on for looks.
No joke, thereā€™s a Kia Forte driving around that has FOUR tow hooks on it (2 front and 2 rear). It appears to be an otherwise stock car other than itā€™s slammed to ground. Different strokes for different folks

Sponsored

GrayMater22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Premium
No joke, thereā€™s a Kia Forte driving around that has FOUR tow hooks on it (2 front and 2 rear). It appears to be an otherwise stock car other than itā€™s slammed to ground. Different strokes for different folks
šŸ˜‚, every mod I have added is purely for improved performance, no unneeded weight wanted šŸ˜Ž

JCN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT, 14 F150, 23 F150
Ok so no one expects it, but if you ever need a hook put on the front of these cars there will be thousand in damage to splitter, grills, bumper cover ect. The steeper the angle on tow line the more damage. Especially PP cars. I gaurantee you will sign a damage waiver before any hook will go on.

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
Ok so no one expects it, but if you ever need a hook put on the front of these cars there will be thousand in damage to splitter, grills, bumper cover ect. The steeper the angle on tow line the more damage. Especially PP cars. I gaurantee you will sign a damage waiver before any hook will go on.
this, times eleventyā€¦I had a wardrobe malfunction that rendered me immobile on the 405 not long ago. That experience, and dealing with AAA tow trucks led me to add a rear tow hook, because I can almost always nose INTO a spot to get towed OUT of without ancillary damage šŸ˜‰

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I got the ZL1 addons Front license plate that attaches to the Tow hook location. Also purchased the ZL1 Add-ons tow hook, I put it on and I wasn't a big fan honestly. Its great to have though but that's something I would leave on if I went to the track, for now mine is a daily driver.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
this, times eleventyā€¦I had a wardrobe malfunction that rendered me immobile on the 405 not long ago. That experience, and dealing with AAA tow trucks led me to add a rear tow hook, because I can almost always nose INTO a spot to get towed OUT of without ancillary damage šŸ˜‰
Ok, so I daily my GT. Am hoping to do maybe 1-2 HPDEā€™s this year if my kidsā€™ schedules allow. Anywho, would you all actually recommend a rear row hook for a DD in the (fingers crossed) unlikely event I need a tow at some point? I donā€™t want to be one of those guys that drives around with a hook just because but I also donā€™t want my front bumper ripped off by an idiot tow truck driver.

Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Ok, so I daily my GT. Am hoping to do maybe 1-2 HPDEā€™s this year if my kidsā€™ schedules allow. Anywho, would you all actually recommend a rear row hook for a DD in the (fingers crossed) unlikely event I need a tow at some point? I donā€™t want to be one of those guys that drives around with a hook just because but I also donā€™t want my front bumper ripped off by an idiot tow truck driver.
I wouldn't bother with it for one or two events to be honest. On track, majority of cases when somebody needs a tow is a mechanical failure and usually the cars that break are heavilly moded well aged BMW race cars. Yours should be fine as long as you do basic prep. If you are just starting hpde, it is also unlikely that you will send your car into a wall just yet. That usually happens later on šŸ˜„ .

If you end up doing more than that, then you can consider it, but keep in mind that most solutions would require you to take off the bumpers and do various levels of trimming/cutting.

OP
OP
mookieit

mookieit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
john
Vehicle(s)
mustang 2015 v6
That's it! I am sold. I am buying one.

You never know, I might be in a ditch and I need someone to tow me out.

Seriously though, I think it looks cool and I love the story for it's usage.

K Myers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Maurice
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Mustang

Those are for Imports, and it makes people think you break down a lot...INO

Ramairetransam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 s550
i have one in the front bc mine is a daily driver , snow too so in the case it goes off the road i want to be able to be towed out easily , gotta get a rear one next .