Sponsored

What do tuners typically change?

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I've had a few cars now that I've had tuned. I know they adjust timing for better fuels, change shift points for autos, etc. but on this car what do the tuners typically modify for a mostly stock setup outside of power adders?
Sponsored

ENPhoto

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ErikNymanPhotography.com
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt Premium Performance Pack
what do the tuners typically modify for a mostly stock setup outside of power adders?
Depends on the tuner. A list of things that can be changed on an otherwise stock vehicle:

- Transmission Torque Magement (some do)
- Clutch Protection (some do)
- Shift points and drive mode throttle position settings
- MAF Airflow vs Period
- Throttle Tip-In Management
- Cylinder WOT Multipliers
- Anti-Shuffle Logic
- Throttle Angle Max/Min Limits
- Pedal WOT Start & WOT End positions
- IMRC & VCT Settings (there's quite a few...some feel that VCT doesn't do anything for stock. The proper method is bracketing cam angles on a dyno over multiple runs and hours of logging back to back pulls..and there's quite a bit of info out there that the gain in WHP isn't worth the time invested for a stock vehicle)
- Optimum Power pedal positioning
- Distance Tables (drivability, fuel economy)
- Power Enrichment WOT Lambda
- Enrichment Delay
- Enrichment Rate
- Decel Fuel Cut Off Rates
- RPM Limits/Hysteresis/Neutral Exit Speeds (For 2-Step)
- 26 Borderline Spark Tables
- 26 MBT Spark Tables
- A whole Schwack of Fuel/IAT/ECT borderline spark correction tables
- Flex Fuel Tuning Tables (some will do it..some won't)
- Pre-ignition, cylinder trim, cylinder-to-cylinder offset and cylinder pressure limit tables.
- Knock recovery rate tables (Normal, Fast & Shifting)
- Max Retard and Max Advance tables

Our vehicles are Torque Based...but for a stock vehicle, getting into it and performing all the additional torque calculations aren't reeeaalllyy necessary. I miss the days of Alpha-N tuning with a "high octane", "low octane" and two spark tables.

There's ALOT of stuff that changes. Some tuners just do Air/Fuel/Spark and it's done. Others get in there and do quite a bit (2-step, decel popping, ghost cam, etc)

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Depends on the tuner. A list of things that can be changed on an otherwise stock vehicle:

- MAF Airflow vs Period
- Anti-Shuffle Logic
- IMRC & VCT Settings (there's quite a few...some feel that VCT doesn't do anything for stock. The proper method is bracketing cam angles on a dyno over multiple runs and hours of logging back to back pulls..and there's quite a bit of info out there that the gain in WHP isn't worth the time invested for a stock vehicle)
- Enrichment Delay
- Enrichment Rate
- 26 MBT Spark Tables
- Pre-ignition, cylinder trim, cylinder-to-cylinder offset and cylinder pressure limit tables.

Our vehicles are Torque Based...but for a stock vehicle, getting into it and performing all the additional torque calculations aren't reeeaalllyy necessary. I miss the days of Alpha-N tuning with a "high octane", "low octane" and two spark tables.

There's ALOT of stuff that changes. Some tuners just do Air/Fuel/Spark and it's done. Others get in there and do quite a bit (2-step, decel popping, ghost cam, etc)
So it’s pretty much just like a Pedal Commander? :bow:

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10

- MAF Airflow vs Period
- Anti-Shuffle Logic
- Enrichment Delay
- Enrichment Rate
- 26 MBT Spark Tables

Thanks, that is a wealth of info!

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Hence why you should pick a quality tuner.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Jbud

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 gr
So I'll search as well but I'm not excited about the search feature here. Please explain ghost cam.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
So I'll search as well but I'm not excited about the search feature here. Please explain ghost cam.
Ghost cam tunes are "cosmetic" addons. Gives that cammed sound at idle.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I think I'm getting an occasional backfire now. Either that or someone is shooting at me ... I do live in Florida.

Sponsored

ENPhoto

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ErikNymanPhotography.com
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt Premium Performance Pack
Are they able to make adjustments to the traction control?
In the 11-14's, there was an option in HPTuners to change it. The value of "50" was enabled. "0" was disabled. (pic below of a 2014)
traction control.JPG

In the S550's, this table isn't available. New programming and a lot of stuff is torque based. I am assuming that you need to really change a bunch of different tables.

I know reading a post somewhere that Lund has done it on their own shop S550's.

I bet the highlighted parts in the screenshot below are a great start to do some testing. I do believe that HP Tuners and SCT are able to unlock almost anything engine/transmission related that's written into the program by the Ford engineers. They continually add more tables as new things are unlocked.
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
In the 11-14's, there was an option in HPTuners to change it. The value of "50" was enabled. "0" was disabled. (pic below of a 2014)
traction control.JPG

In the S550's, this table isn't available. New programming and a lot of stuff is torque based. I am assuming that you need to really change a bunch of different tables.

I know reading a post somewhere that Lund has done it on their own shop S550's.

I bet the highlighted parts in the screenshot below are a great start to do some testing. I do believe that HP Tuners and SCT are able to unlock almost anything engine/transmission related that's written into the program by the Ford engineers. They continually add more tables as new things are unlocked.
Untitled.jpg
I know there was a thread on this over at HPT, and if I remember right they did find that you could manipulate the traction control "effect" to an extent. I never tried it personally though.

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
I know there was a thread on this over at HPT, and if I remember right they did find that you could manipulate the traction control "effect" to an extent. I never tried it personally though.
I adjusted mine so a fuel cut would not lean out the engine, and aso gave it a bit less spark authority so it hits much softer. Before the car would fall on its face hard and it felt unsafe.
Sponsored