Sponsored

What did you do to your S550 Mustang today?!

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'20 Mustang GT, '17 Expedition, '04 LS430
I can be there in three days. Save me a spot.
Well we may have a car washing going at Matt's Emporium of Speed this weekend. Perfect timing!
Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Which spring did you install? My Steeda spring was an improvement over stock.

I did, it was a 30 or 35lbs spring as opposed to the 80lbs (I believe it is) stock one.

TXGTPig

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It's supposed to have the opposite effect. Stock is too soft and leaves the engagement point hard to feel. Taking the spring out makes the peddle stiffer and more communicative.
Hmmm, maybe I'll just remove the perch and see how that feels.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I did, it was a 30 or 35lbs spring as opposed to the 80lbs (I believe it is) stock one.
Pretty much everyone else has the opposite experience you had with the softer spring. The softer spring helps get a better feel for when the clutch bites is what most say, and that was my experience too.

Sponsored

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Installed a clutch spring. Drove maybe 2 miles, promptly went back home and put the stock spring back on.

well, you're supposed to replace the spring with a lightweight one. Otherwise yes you get floppy-pedal but really it doesn't matter since the floppy bits isn't applying hydraulic pressure to anything anyway. The moment you push on the pedal though you're actually moving liquid.

I found the Ford spring to be entirely disgusting since it completely erased the 'detent' you feel when you transition from just compressing the spring to actually moving the piston+fluid.
Yes, it is strongly advised against not replacing the spring with another one, i.e. don't leave it "spring-less."

This - what spring did you use? I felt instant improvement and more linear feel. Even without a spring, it was an improvement.
I see he didn't get the Steeda, which is supposedly great. I wouldn't leave it without a spring tho.

The original one in the S550 is a 185lbs/in, not 80. At least per Steeda.

Pretty much everyone else has the opposite experience you had with the softer spring. The softer spring helps get a better feel for when the clutch bites is what most say, and that was my experience too.
Per their website it's 185lb/in by design and Steeda's is 35lb/in.
I've read really good things about the Steeda one on here and on the site itself, so I think I'll give it a shot.
Worst-case scenario, if it doesn't work well at all, I'm out $30, which ain't that bad of a gamble to see if it'll improve shifting.
https://www.steeda.com/steeda-555-7022-s550-clutch-spring

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
It's supposed to have the opposite effect. Stock is too soft and leaves the engagement point hard to feel. Taking the spring out makes the peddle stiffer and more communicative.
I think you meant the stock is too stiff, not soft? I think the original, per Steeda, is 185lb/in (which is a stiff spring) and the one you can get from Steeda is 35lb/in, which would suggest lot softer and easier to feel the grab point.
Unless I'm real dumb and am not getting this right.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I think you meant the stock is too stiff, not soft? I think the original, per Steeda, is 185lb/in (which is a stiff spring) and the one you can get from Steeda is 35lb/in, which would suggest lot softer and easier to feel the grab point.
Softer spring gives a harder (and more consistent) pedal, the pedal gets harder again with no spring :like:

My thoughts on it :

Impressions ... ? Well, bear in in mind I’ve drove manual for 27 years and didn’t really have a problem with the original setup, but the spring was cheap and I already had it in the spares box so I had little to lose. Normal driving it only makes a little difference on initial setting off, it kind of feels like the pedal is a little harder, BUT only through a bit of it’s travel (about a third of the way through its travel as you release the clutch). It does kind of feel a bit more ‘linear’.

So after driving it around the estate so I had plenty stop start driving, I could take it or leave it - no real benefit (for me). However, I reverse up my drive through a gate on a bit of an incline at a speed where I’m right on the biting point of the clutch - in that scenario there was a marked improvement in feel / control. On those grounds alone I would recommend it (for me), especially considering the nominal outlay :like:

WD :like:
WD :like:

Sigman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Mustang MT82
Yes, it is strongly advised against not replacing the spring with another one, i.e. don't leave it "spring-less."
Out of curiosity, why the need for some type of assist spring other than making the clutch peddle artificially lighter? Many cars from the 80s-90s had hydraulic clutches w/o assist springs.

frank_white

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Convertible, Velocity Blue

Sponsored

Scooter MGee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
'20 MGT, '18 H-D Fat Bob 131ci, '17 Yaris
Out of curiosity, why the need for some type of assist spring other than making the clutch peddle artificially lighter? Many cars from the 80s-90s had hydraulic clutches w/o assist springs.

Totally off topic here.....holy crap, it's been decades since I've seen a KFAT sticker in person. Being from the Bay Area and later living in Hollister I saw them all over in the 70's.

Sigman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Mustang MT82
LOL, lived in the Santa Cruz Mountains till 2008 when we made our great escape to Texas.
After KFAT went away another great station popped up, KPIG out of Freedom, CA. Can stream them on the net.

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt

I see he didn't get the Steeda, which is supposedly great. I wouldn't leave it without a spring tho.

The original one in the S550 is a 185lbs/in, not 80. At least per Steeda.

Per their website it's 185lb/in by design and Steeda's is 35lb/in.
I've read really good things about the Steeda one on here and on the site itself, so I think I'll give it a shot.
Worst-case scenario, if it doesn't work well at all, I'm out $30, which ain't that bad of a gamble to see if it'll improve shifting.
https://www.steeda.com/steeda-555-7022-s550-clutch-spring
I installed the Steeda spring. MUCH better than stock. Requires a little more effort to depress the clutch but much smoother action.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
This is what Steeda's site cites for that product:
"Many new Mustang owners have found that taking out the stock OE spring will give you somewhat similar results, but realistically the clutch becomes far too heavy especially if your Mustang is daily driven. Most owners fail to realize the prolonged effects of simply taking out your factory OE spring and not replacing it with another spring. By negating your factory clutch assist spring you will notice chatter/NVH from your clutch pedal. Your clutch pedal will never fully return to stock position without any assist spring, and over time your slave cylinder may begin leaking due to constant pressure on its seals from the clutch pedal not returning to the stock position."

That sounds like they're saying the cylinder and parts are not made to withstand lack of the spring. Maybe cars are build with less margin for error, I don't know.
What they're saying makes sense though - if the pedal never returns, it's like you're always feathering your clutch for a long time or resting your foot on the clutch while driving, each of which is a known "no-no."

I installed the Steeda spring. MUCH better than stock. Requires a little more effort to depress the clutch but much smoother action.
That's pretty sweet, especially when my experience should be similar as we both have a Bullitt (although I think that doesn't matter).
Did you just put in the spring, were you able to reused to clips that hold it on?

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Call in your order. Ask for your forum discount ! Ordering thru the web site does not give a discount .......... Mike
Sponsored