Sponsored

What did you do to your S550 Mustang today?!

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Have fun! Just remember the bolts won't go in if the subframe is out of alignment when you use kits like these, so if you keep having to fight or keep crossthreading, you may need to loosen all of the bolts and muscle it to where it needs to be.
Thanks for the tips! Hopefully it’s not too bad but only one way to find out 🤞
Sponsored

Onewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ecoboost Premium Convertible
This morning I had the opportunity to test the tire pump (worked) and take my Mustang (with only 420 miles) to the local tire place to get the tire fixed. The screw was about 2.5" in from the shoulder and they were able to patch it. I would have hated to have to replace a tire with just 420 miles on it. Ordering the spare tire kit is still on my list. A little higher on the list. :)
20230119_094831.jpg

Last edited:

MarkM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the tips! Hopefully it’s not too bad but only one way to find out 🤞
Mine was unbelievably straight, pulled the bolts one at a time, slid the bushes in and the bolts threaded correctly, I was shocked!

Snakebyte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
This morning I had the opportunity to test the tire pump (worked) and take my Mustang (with only 420 miles) to the local tire place to get the tire fixed. The screw was about 2.5" in from the shoulder and they were able to patch it. I would have hated to have to replace a tire with just 420 miles on it. Ordering the spare tire kit is still on my list. A little higher on the list. :)
20230119_094831.jpg
Yes, a spare can come in handy. I purchased a full size spare after getting stranded during covid about 700 miles from home on an early Sunday morning on a rural interstate. The tire made a thump followed by a bang and shredded immediately. There was no place close to get a spare, but thankfully AAA found me a Walmart about 30 miles away that had a covid emergency policy to where they would replace a tire during covid restrictions.

The bottom line is...If anyone has ever driven at odd hours, been in rural settings, hundreds of miles from home, and realize you cannot predict a tire blowout......having a good spare, jack, and lug wrench is a great suggestion. I don't want to leave my Mustang vulnerable to other hazards as well, whether on a remote road or in a not so great part of town.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, a spare can come in handy. I purchased a full size spare after getting stranded during covid about 700 miles from home on an early Sunday morning on a rural interstate. The tire made a thump followed by a bang and shredded immediately. There was no place close to get a spare, but thankfully AAA found me a Walmart about 30 miles away that had a covid emergency policy to where they would replace a tire during covid restrictions.

The bottom line is...If anyone has ever driven at odd hours, been in rural settings, hundreds of miles from home, and realize you cannot predict a tire blowout......having a good spare, jack, and lug wrench is a great suggestion. I don't want to leave my Mustang vulnerable to other hazards as well, whether on a remote road or in a not so great part of town.
I have been looking at the spare tire options.

Yours is "full size"? Can you show me a pic of where you keep it?

Sponsored

Snakebyte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
I have been looking at the spare tire options.

Yours is "full size"? Can you show me a pic of where you keep it?
It is an OEM wheel and tire size. It just fits through the opening into the tire well. Of course because it is full size, I had to build a frame to maintain a flat storage surface. I'm pleased with how it worked out. In the photo, the size jack I purchased fits within the inside diameter of the wheel (it is wrapped in the Amazon bag in the photo to keep from scratching paint).

Ful-Size Spare.jpg

Trunk with Full-Size Spare Cover.jpg

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
So i had previously replaced all my factory speakers with aftermarket ones. Today i modded my rear deck panel. I got the idea from others on the forums about opening up the deck panel over the speakers so its not muffled. Was just something to do on a cold day
image000000 (10).jpg
I'd love to see more pics of this if you have any. I guess how exactly you did this?

Not much, but I took it out from its winter spot and beat on it a little tonight(last night).

Damn had I missed the sound, the vibrations and response. Rev’d it out a couple times.

Came home and parked it for long term again. Today was the last of the 60s for the foreseeable future.

A happy yet sad day.
Hope you guys have gotten some better weather these past couple days. It's in the 60s today in KY and has been above 45 since Tuesday, so the Lightning's gotten some road time.

I also really like how he installs a little allen key inside the base of the knob for adjustments, so you don't need a jam nut or to rely on just loctite.
Love my Lathewerks knob. Cold honestly seems to bother me more than the warm. And I wish mine had an allen for it - I've got a nut in there and have to tighten it every so often.

Today I changed the air vents, I adapted the parts from a mercedes C w205. There are plug&play solutions on the market with the same design, but I ended up making the adaptation because I like DIY work and also because I found a good deal on parts. The vent housing itself did't needed any modification, I just changed the central "plate". These vents have also a "perfume container".
This is so friggin cool.

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed Manual
Good way of describing it. I believe this is why the non PP cars have air channels in the bumper that dump air right into the front of the tire (whereas the PP cars have these blocked off, and air channels underneath instead). But this is woefully inadequate in a track setting.
I just ordered the Ford Lower Air Deflector Kit Ford Lower Air Deflector Kit as well as the Performance Pack 2 Front Splitter Kit to complete the brake upgrade. I didn't think about the air channels in the bumper... Any thoughts on if I should block them off? If I leave them as-is... what adverse effect would that have?

Last edited:

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Oops! Bad cut-n-paste! Here is the correct link to the Lower Air Deflector Kit I ordered.

By the way, still super happy with your FP Oil separator relocation kit!!!
Oh hey Patrick! Didn't recognize the user name at first. I know all about bad cut and pastes. Haha
I was just making sure you didn't actually order 2 of the same parts to save you a headache. With the new belly pan you will need to trim out the plastic at the front of your wheel wheels for the new air flow brake cooling passage to work. I saw a post recently on this. I will try and find it.

Glad to hear you're happy with the kit. :like:
I have emptied out mine a few times. It's so quick to do now. Just unclip and dump.

19gtMD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aj
Vehicle(s)
19 Gt premium
I'd love to see more pics of this if you have any. I guess how exactly you did this?
I dont really have any others than what i posted. But I can tell you. I took out the back deck and flipped it over. You will see the speaker holes on the bottom. I took the speaker grill, traced its circle shape as centered as possible and cut it a half inch inside of that. Used the mounting screws and screwed them down and reinstalled the deck.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Added @5 SPURS start button. Than you Kevin!

5DDBC8B5-1AD3-4E49-8467-F99087951C51.jpeg

3B0EE793-2091-4196-8DB9-795D229D017E.jpeg

Mr X

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
It is an OEM wheel and tire size. It just fits through the opening into the tire well. Of course because it is full size, I had to build a frame to maintain a flat storage surface. I'm pleased with how it worked out. In the photo, the size jack I purchased fits within the inside diameter of the wheel (it is wrapped in the Amazon bag in the photo to keep from scratching paint).

Ful-Size Spare.jpg

Trunk with Full-Size Spare Cover.jpg
I always wanted a full size tire, but didn't like the bulge because the wheel well isn't deep enough. Now you've got me thinking about building a frame around it.

How did you anchor the frame to the trunk floor ??

Snakebyte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
I always wanted a full size tire, but didn't like the bulge because the wheel well isn't deep enough. Now you've got me thinking about building a frame around it.

How did you anchor the frame to the trunk floor ??
The frame is secured along the back edge with screws. (Ford included an angle lip Left and Right of the center which helps support the spare tire well cover (which also holds the emergency funnel on the L/S). I secured the frame there using 4 screws (2 each side) from the underside and into the frame.

I also applied high quality 3M double-faced tape along the front edge between the frame and the painted metal. (To compensate for the surrounding trunk carpet thickness I stacked the 3M tape as necessary to ensure positive contact between the trunk surface and the frame bottom surface).

One other thing...I didn't want the cover to slide around so I attached hook and loop (velcro) to at corners to the cover underside and to the frame top.

Note that my wheel/tire thickness a 3-inch frame height was perfect. That way the tire and frame support the spare tire well cover evenly.

The other benefit of the design is that it retains emergency items on the Left and Right trunk sides (like my lug nut breaker bar, tire compressor/repair kit, battery jump starter, and fire extinguisher). The extinguisher bracket is secured to the side of the frame and the 3-inch height works out perfectly for the extinguisher I use.

One other benefit for us convertible owners....the tonneau covers (seen in blue and white plastic bags in pic #2) are nestled in front of and below the frame surface minimizing opportunity for damage.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored

Last edited: