Sponsored

What Coilovers? (OEM like performance, or softer)

MidnightStars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Been digging through the posts in this thread, and I'm having a hard time finding what I want based on my needs. Let me know if there's anything I can do better, or alternative choices that could be better. Anyone that reads this all the way, I love you.

I will be updating this thread over time as I learn more about the suspensions I find. I know some of the suspension setups I may list are very highly priced that may be more geared towards track/performance setups, but I am demanding excellent build quality + reliability. Suspension's one I refuse to cut corners on. Trying to stay away from airbags (durability + upon failure concerns).

This thread helped me get some ideas: Can you make my Mustang ride like a BMW 6 series? | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

Needs: Goal is to have a car w/ adjustable damping for street driving (soft as possible) plus some track use (not crazy hard, but as hard as desirable). Priority is softness--if there is one that is equal or softer than OEM (not sure if possible?), it would function incredibly well for my build of a solid "GT" car. Additionally, camber plates, for changing camber in the front to increase turning grip + accommodate my offset 305's better with less poke.

• Suspension with 0.75"~1" max drop (I assume just about any decent coilover can grant that +more?). I understand that a ride drop counteracts the statement above of the softest ride possible.
  • Spring type: Progressive? I assume this would allow some softness on lighter loads (street), but provide some extra support once you push it (spirited/track).
---Coilovers---
If I get just about any coilover, am I free to switch springs with any brand? Or am I more or less restricted to that brand?
For an idea of how I may like my springs, I do like the numbers for Steeda's Progressive Sport springs.
  • JRZ RS Line (Two & above)
  • H&R Street Performance Coilovers Progressive Springs (cannot find information on spring-rates)
  • KW Clubsport series Progressive? (cannot find information on spring-rates)
If Linear spring rates are fine/feels great for both comfort cruising + track use:
  • ST Suspensions XTA/XTA Plus 3 (Primary reasoning for ease of customizability)
  • Ohlins (Rebuildable + quality. But racecar oriented :( )
  • Riaction (I see no performance difference in their variants. No Spring rate info)

With those "simple" changes in mind, I understand the suspension geometry changes quite a bit, and thus, my control arms and such will suffer extra/unintended loads. What can I change to strengthen or improve it?
Sponsored

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Funny, I had just put this list together the other day. Granted, I'm more focused on track use but it may still be of some use to you.

1673631150049.png

For reference, the first item is more or less identical to what comes on the GT350R.

If you want "softer" than OEM but still track-able, you're going to have a hard time. The OEM stuff feels like a boat. Perhaps magneride take-off parts could be an option for you. Otherwise, I would think Steeda coilovers might be a happy medium for you. Most of the items on my list above are going to be much stiffer than OEM.

Most of the higher price items are geared toward racing, so not what you want.
The cheaper kits are typically for folks wanting to get their cars as low as possible, so usually also very stiff. I think KW V3 would be decent for you, or Steeda, Ridetech, etc.

Or perhaps keep your OEM shocks and just get some stiffer sway bars. That way the suspension will still be soft over bumps but won't flop around like a wet noodle on track....though you'll still get horrendous nose dive under braking. Generally "comfy cruiser" and "track car" are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum.

taylor.crandall1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Been digging through the posts in this thread, and I'm having a hard time finding what I want based on my needs. Let me know if there's anything I can do better, or alternative choices that could be better. Anyone that reads this all the way, I love you.

I will be updating this thread over time as I learn more about the suspensions I find. I know some of the suspension setups I may list are very highly priced that may be more geared towards track/performance setups, but I am demanding excellent build quality + reliability. Suspension's one I refuse to cut corners on. Trying to stay away from airbags (durability + upon failure concerns).

This thread helped me get some ideas: Can you make my Mustang ride like a BMW 6 series? | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

Needs: Goal is to have a car w/ adjustable damping for street driving (soft as possible) plus some track use (not crazy hard, but as hard as desirable). Priority is softness--if there is one that is equal or softer than OEM (not sure if possible?), it would function incredibly well for my build of a solid "GT" car. Additionally, camber plates, for changing camber in the front to increase turning grip + accommodate my offset 305's better with less poke.

• Suspension with 0.75"~1" max drop (I assume just about any decent coilover can grant that +more?). I understand that a ride drop counteracts the statement above of the softest ride possible.
  • Spring type: Progressive? I assume this would allow some softness on lighter loads (street), but provide some extra support once you push it (spirited/track).
---Coilovers---
If I get just about any coilover, am I free to switch springs with any brand? Or am I more or less restricted to that brand?
For an idea of how I may like my springs, I do like the numbers for Steeda's Progressive Sport springs.
  • JRZ RS Line (Two & above)
  • H&R Street Performance Coilovers Progressive Springs (cannot find information on spring-rates)
  • KW Clubsport series Progressive? (cannot find information on spring-rates)
If Linear spring rates are fine/feels great for both comfort cruising + track use:
  • ST Suspensions XTA/XTA Plus 3 (Primary reasoning for ease of customizability)
  • Ohlins (Rebuildable + quality. But racecar oriented :( )
  • Riaction (I see no performance difference in their variants. No Spring rate info)

With those "simple" changes in mind, I understand the suspension geometry changes quite a bit, and thus, my control arms and such will suffer extra/unintended loads. What can I change to strengthen or improve it?
Based on what you are looking for, I would definitely go with the Ohlins R&T and get them through Vorshlag or J&M as they will include camber plates as well as custom spring rates.

The Ohlins R&T kit uses an inverted shock for the front which is much stronger and stiffer. No other kit offers that besides the motorsport Penskes, DSC/Tractive and AST.

It is such a high quality damper for the money and you can get it to ride better than stock.

https://vorshlag-store.com/collecti...-track-for-2015-19-ford-mustang-s550-fos-mr00

https://hotpart.com/product/jm-prod...coil-over-kit-custom-spring-rates-front-rear/

OP
OP
MidnightStars

MidnightStars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Funny, I had just put this list together the other day. Granted, I'm more focused on track use but it may still be of some use to you.

1673631150049.png

For reference, the first item is more or less identical to what comes on the GT350R.

If you want "softer" than OEM but still track-able, you're going to have a hard time. The OEM stuff feels like a boat. Perhaps magneride take-off parts could be an option for you. Otherwise, I would think Steeda coilovers might be a happy medium for you. Most of the items on my list above are going to be much stiffer than OEM.

Most of the higher price items are geared toward racing, so not what you want.
The cheaper kits are typically for folks wanting to get their cars as low as possible, so usually also very stiff. I think KW V3 would be decent for you, or Steeda, Ridetech, etc.

Or perhaps keep your OEM shocks and just get some stiffer sway bars. That way the suspension will still be soft over bumps but won't flop around like a wet noodle on track....though you'll still get horrendous nose dive under braking. Generally "comfy cruiser" and "track car" are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum.
That's what I was hoping adjustable coilovers would be able to cover for--at least one adjustable set that can cater to being softer than OEM, but not much stiffer. And the noise-dive is another reason I really wanted to move away from the OEM setup! Had many encounters where I needed almost full braking, but then let off because I thought the front of the car was about to slam into the pavement.
Thank you!
Based on what you are looking for, I would definitely go with the Ohlins R&T and get them through Vorshlag or J&M as they will include camber plates as well as custom spring rates.

The Ohlins R&T kit uses an inverted shock for the front which is much stronger and stiffer. No other kit offers that besides the motorsport Penskes, DSC/Tractive and AST.

It is such a high quality damper for the money and you can get it to ride better than stock.

https://vorshlag-store.com/collecti...-track-for-2015-19-ford-mustang-s550-fos-mr00

https://hotpart.com/product/jm-prod...coil-over-kit-custom-spring-rates-front-rear/
They seem too stiff. Looking for something a bit stiffer, if anything, over the 160 lb/in OEM. Maybe more in the 180~220 range, hence hoping for a progressive spring that may be able to handle that. I know some purchasing & "exterperimentation" would be needed on my part.
I know I need significantly rear softer springs in the rear as well. There are quite a lot of bumps I have to slow down for, only because the rear end feels like it kicked up like a horse (HAH) if I don't.

OP
OP
MidnightStars

MidnightStars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
1673635025661.png

Been looking at the spring rates thread as well, and I've really been liking the SR Performance Fronts + Steeda Progressive rears. Are there any adjustable coilovers they can mix with? Hate there isn't some sort of standard.

If there truly are none, I may try to team with KW/ST, or some other brand out there that could help me design... "GT" suspension?

Last edited:

Sponsored

taylor.crandall1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
They seem too stiff. Looking for something a bit stiffer, if anything, over the 160 lb/in OEM. Maybe more in the 180~220 range, hence hoping for a progressive spring that may be able to handle that. I know some purchasing & "exterperimentation" would be needed on my part.
I know I need significantly rear softer springs in the rear as well. There are quite a lot of bumps I have to slow down for, only because the rear end feels like it kicked up like a horse (HAH) if I don't.
They seem too stiff, but you want something stiffer? Do you mean too soft and you want something stiffer?

DId you not check the links I sent you? Both Vorshlag and J&M offer custom spring rates and valving.

The Ohlins R&T is one of the best coilovers you can get. On top of that, you have two companies that offer custom spring rates and valving. It doesn't get much better than that.

OP
OP
MidnightStars

MidnightStars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
They seem too stiff, but you want something stiffer? Do you mean too soft and you want something stiffer?

DId you not check the links I sent you? Both Vorshlag and J&M offer custom spring rates and valving.

The Ohlins R&T is one of the best coilovers you can get. On top of that, you have two companies that offer custom spring rates and valving. It doesn't get much better than that.
Isn't a higher spring rate a stiffer set up? I was wanting one fairly soft, similar to OEM, if not only a little stiffer. The options in the linked websites don't offer that, and the Ohlins only shows one rate.

They all definitely offer different spring rates, but I may need to contact them to get one that's not listed. I do, afterall, want something that's not track oriented, by companies that focus more on track performance 🤣

taylor.crandall1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Isn't a higher spring rate a stiffer set up? I was wanting one fairly soft, similar to OEM, if not only a little stiffer. The options in the linked websites don't offer that, and the Ohlins only shows one rate.

They all definitely offer different spring rates, but I may need to contact them to get one that's not listed. I do, afterall, want something that's not track oriented, by companies that focus more on track performance 🤣
Okay I think you meant to say you want a lower (softer) spring rate.

Ohlins R&T Isn't really a track oriented damper. Its still a street damper that can be used on the track.

If you said you were looking for a track focused damper I would have recommended something else.

Do yourself a very and get in contact with Vorshlag and J&M. You won't regret it.

OP
OP
MidnightStars

MidnightStars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Okay I think you meant to say you want a lower (softer) spring rate.

Ohlins R&T Isn't really a track oriented damper. Its still a street damper that can be used on the track.

If you said you were looking for a track focused damper I would have recommended something else.

Do yourself a very and get in contact with Vorshlag and J&M. You won't regret it.
I certainly will! Thank you!

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
OP - with the goals stated you really should get Koni Yellows with possibly some relatively soft lowering springs and camber plates. You're going to waste a lot of money on coilovers unless your goal is to say you have them.

If you get coilovers though, you can pretty much get any springs you want (most use springs made by someone else anyway) or even make your own.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MidnightStars

MidnightStars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
OP - with the goals stated you really should get Koni Yellows with possibly some relatively soft lowering springs and camber plates. You're going to waste a lot of money on coilovers unless your goal is to say you have them.

If you get coilovers though, you can pretty much get any springs you want (most use springs made by someone else anyway) or even make your own.
One of the reasons I wanted to get coil overs is so I can more freely play around with wheels and tires some more down the line. Currently have 305/30/19's, but also wanted a taller 305/35 to see how much of an impact it may have on quality. I know I'd have to play around with height settings as well to find my own favorable mix.

And I really would not mind "wasting" my money on it, as long as it is an incredibly well built part meant to last, and can be serviced by myself. This Mustang is the first ever car I've purchased myself, and I have zero intention of ever getting rid of her.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Low and soft isn’t a great combination.
You can go low and stiff, or high and soft.

When it comes to springs and ride height, you can’t have your cake and eat it too. Too soft and low and you’re hitting the bump stops at low speed. The lower you are the more you need increased spring rate to make up for the lack of suspension travel before you bottom out.

The most comfortable ride with control at the track (IMHO) would be like PP1 springs at full height, bigger swaybars, with adjustable shocks imho, then you can crank up the shocks when you want to attack a road course or back road.

If the stock wheel gap bugs you, get aftermarket wheels with more aggressive offsets.

if you have to lower it, then use the minimum (0.75” works well) and pick spring rates like the handling springs or GT350R rates. The ride will be stiffer but it will function like a suspension should with the reduced travel.

OP
OP
MidnightStars

MidnightStars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Low and soft isn’t a great combination.
You can go low and stiff, or high and soft.

When it comes to springs and ride height, you can’t have your cake and eat it too. Too soft and low and you’re hitting the bump stops at low speed. The lower you are the more you need increased spring rate to make up for the lack of suspension travel before you bottom out.

The most comfortable ride with control at the track (IMHO) would be like PP1 springs at full height, bigger swaybars, with adjustable shocks imho, then you can crank up the shocks when you want to attack a road course or back road.

If the stock wheel gap bugs you, get aftermarket wheels with more aggressive offsets.

if you have to lower it, then use the minimum (0.75” works well) and pick spring rates like the handling springs or GT350R rates. The ride will be stiffer but it will function like a suspension should with the reduced travel.
Yeah, that's just about what I expected sadly xD
I'll play around with what I can find. If there's truly nothing, I'll go for a good quality set of Ohlins, ST's, or ISC's with some of the softest springs they have.
Sponsored