Sponsored

What aftermarket brake pads are you running and how do you like them?

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
So about a year ago I ended up going with the G-LOC GS1 brake pads for front and back. They've been amazing with reducing brake dust, but I think it's about time for me to move on. I've had one track day and about 20k miles on these pads. Been squealing for a few months and looking for the next best pads. The GS1s were also supposed to be quieter, but I've squealed more in these than the stock pads, despite bedding and even constantly cleaning.

Curious to know what you guys are running and what your feedback is like thus far.
Sponsored

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
OEM pads for the street. GLoc R12/R10 combo for the track. The OEM setup is great for street duty. I don't worry about dust and just accept it as a normal part of owning a car like this. They start to squeak if I drive like a normal person for a few days. I just go out into the backroads and do a couple HARD stops from 65-70mph and the brakes are nice and quiet again. They don't like to be driven slowly.

On track, I throw the GLocs on because they last much longer and the initial bite is awesome. They pair very well with sticky tires too. With the GLocs and Sport Cup 2 tires, it takes a few laps to get accustomed to how well this car stops from over 100MPH. Just slam on the brakes and holllllly shit. They overpower the stock Super Sports but work amazing with stickier tires. And they cause so much brake dust it's kind of hilarious.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
I bought the PowerStop Z26 pads. I have made the switch to them twice prior with my wife's vette and my HC, so they are all I know for aftermarket brake pads. I have been very pleased with them. Very little if any brake dust, no squeal, with excellent braking. They are sitting on my work bench currently. I'll be making the swap on all four corners of the R when my new wheels come in.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
GLOC from OPMustang.com -- can swap pads (street to track) keep same rotor without re-bedding due to compound design. Dust doesn't destroy wheels like Powerstop pads, too.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I bought the PowerStop Z26 pads. I have made the switch to them twice prior with my wife's vette and my HC, so they are all I know for aftermarket brake pads. I have been very pleased with them. Very little if any brake dust, no squeal, with excellent braking. They are sitting on my work bench currently. I'll be making the swap on all four corners of the R when my new wheels come in.
^This^

I've been doing the same homework as you Alton, and my homework has led me here. PowerStop has a couple options for pads, but consensus seems to be the 26 is the one to go with. I'm just waiting on a tiny bit warmer weather. I don't think they're overly expensive either.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
^This^

I've been doing the same homework as you Alton, and my homework has led me here. PowerStop has a couple options for pads, but consensus seems to be the 26 is the one to go with. I'm just waiting on a tiny bit warmer weather. I don't think they're overly expensive either.
Do you use them for track days, street driving or both?

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
So about a year ago I ended up going with the G-LOC GS1 brake pads for front and back. They've been amazing with reducing brake dust, but I think it's about time for me to move on. I've had one track day and about 20k miles on these pads. Been squealing for a few months and looking for the next best pads. The GS1s were also supposed to be quieter, but I've squealed more in these than the stock pads, despite bedding and even constantly cleaning.

Curious to know what you guys are running and what your feedback is like thus far.
GS-1s aren't supposed to on track, only the street. G-Loc recommends swapping to one of their more aggressive compounds for track use. I use to swap back and forth between the GS-1 pads and a set of R16/R12s.

Last edited:

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
I'll be running the same setup as HB. Once I get some seat time at the track I'll share my experiences.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
GS-1s aren't supposed to on the street.
GS-1's aren't supposed to do what on the street?

And just had a thought...seems like you don't hear anything about Akebono in this community. Disclosure -- I have not looked to see if they have any for us. They seem to be quite raved about in other communities.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

And just had a thought...seems like you don't hear anything about Akebono in this community. Disclosure -- I have not looked to see if they have any for us. They seem to be quite raved about in other communities.

Oye. Thanks for calling that out. Fixed :crazy:

Sponsored

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I have ST43s on the car but I would not consider this to be a good street pad.

They have an ass ton of cold bite though but they do make noise and they do dust like a mofo. I expect good things when I can finally get to a track.

It does appear that power stop has some street friendly compounds that are extremely affordable.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
OEM pads for the street. GLoc R12/R10 combo for the track. The OEM setup is great for street duty. I don't worry about dust and just accept it as a normal part of owning a car like this. They start to squeak if I drive like a normal person for a few days. I just go out into the backroads and do a couple HARD stops from 65-70mph and the brakes are nice and quiet again. They don't like to be driven slowly.

On track, I throw the GLocs on because they last much longer and the initial bite is awesome. They pair very well with sticky tires too. With the GLocs and Sport Cup 2 tires, it takes a few laps to get accustomed to how well this car stops from over 100MPH. Just slam on the brakes and holllllly shit. They overpower the stock Super Sports but work amazing with stickier tires. And they cause so much brake dust it's kind of hilarious.
Nice, thanks for this suggestion. I'm wondering if I'd be fine with the R12/R10 combos on the street as well. Trying to avoid having to buy separate pads if I have to, but I might just have to. I don't really want to have to drive like a maniac on the street to get brakes working just fine, lol.

Very interesting. Haven't heard of these so I really appreciate the feedback here. I'm going to look into these as well.

^This^

Yep. I'll be looking into these as well. First time hearing about them but it sounds like they might be an option to go with.

GS-1s aren't supposed to on track, only the street. G-Loc recommends swapping to one of their more aggressive compounds for track use. I use to swap back and forth between the GS-1 pads and a set of R16/R12s.
Yeah that's actually true. These are street compound brake pads. If I do end up getting a set of track pads and then a set for the street, I may end up just going back to the GS1s and swapping at the track. I do wish the bite was a little stronger though on the street, but it's possible that mine have been just wore out since all the miles and the one track day that I forgot how they feel when relatively new.

Haven't heard of those either before. Great to know though.

Thanks everyone for the input!

REDLINE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Z51 Stingray
I switched over to the Powerstop Z23. I believe these are the same as the Z26, but instead of a metal backing plate, it uses rubber/composite for quiteness. For the track I use the stock brembos. I first used the Z23 powerstops on my C7 stingray and loved them. They worked just as good for the street and almost no dusting/no squeel. I also installed the caliperfexions on my gt350, which makes switching out pads a breeze.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
How come the PowerStop Z26 pads are only $66 compared to G-Loc GS1's $250+? Not a huge expert here on pads but someone else was pointing out that I could just pick some up from another online store they recommended to. I just couldn't really believe that going from street compound G-LOC GS1s to another set of pads designed for the street (not the track) on these cars would be nearly identical in price. Seems like a huge difference.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Coming from the BMW world, Akebono are commonly recommended - and I hate them. I hate ceramic pad compounds in general. Mushy pedal feel, worse bite. They are virtually dust-free and quiet, so if you primarily drive your car to Cars 'n Coffee they might be the thing you need. No disrespect, horses for courses, etc.

To me, the worst thing about ceramic pads like the Akebono and the Hawk Ceramics is that they last FOREVER, so once you install them and realize how bad they suck you're faced with a terrible decision: live with crappy pedal feel for years or throw away the expensive pads you just bought.

By the way, if anyone needs a set of NIB Akebono Euro Pro ceramics for an E36 M3, I can sell you some!
Sponsored