The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Update.. geico is saying they’re going to replace with aftermarket parts, not oem… doesn’t seem good to me
Sorry this happened but you are okay. I've dealt with Geico before when it was someone elses fault. A good body shop can put up a great argument for OEM for you but who knows with prices on parts these days.
Sponsored

kauljp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Update.. geico is saying they’re going to replace with aftermarket parts, not oem… doesn’t seem good to me
I would not agree to that at all. OEM parts are what you need, do what you must to convince them. (as someone on the thread already suggested, threaten that lizard)

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Assuming Geico is the guy who hit you insurance company? If so, tell them absolutely not on aftermarket parts. You are not at fault and should be made whole (both with oem parts and diminished value). If Geico isn't willing to make you whole then you have a couple options. 1) argue with them, escalate to higher management until they agree. 2) work with the repair shop to have them convince Geico that oem is needed or 3) file a claim with your own insurance company, pay your deductible and let the 2 insurance providers battle it out.

I put them in order of which I would approach the situation. You could also threaten to hire and attorney, but I wouldn't suggest that unless you are willing to see that through. I've dealt with this in the past both when I was hit and when I was the cause. Both insurance companies tried to get me to agree to aftermarket and I simple said no and they agreed.
Good luck!

Polski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marek
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP2 401A
Vehicle Showcase
If you are going with his insurance, say hell the f*** no.
If you are going with your insurance and don't have the OEM replacement option (additional cost per year) they won't put OEM parts. Been there, done that. My dealership was goo enough to price match and I got OEM.

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
That sucks. I never feel the same way about a car after it's been wrecked.

Sponsored

Mustangmatty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
Glad you’re ok. Had a brand new 02 GT get it in the rear. Still had paper plates. Felt the same as you but over time I got over it.

Hope this guy has high limits on his insurance. Hitting four cars there might not be enough $$ to go around all depending on total damage done. Do you have under-insured coverage?

Fastoldman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2021 Iconic Silver Mach 1, 13 Viper GTS, 22 Ram CC
Getting good info from a lot of sources and Torched10 and Black and Blue , you want to tell them you now have a vehicle with diminished value, because Carfax, Autocheck and others will show the car as a damaged vehicle and it will command less money. If the driver that hit you has Geico start explaining to them what they will do for you and frankly you have the right to OEM parts in most States. If he has no Insurance and you have Geico get your Agent involved and tell them this is what you paid them for. Frankly if things go awry and Geico is the company that the driver who caused all this mayhem has then get your Insurance Company involved.

Have them press for diminished value in the settlement.
Have them tell Geico only OEM parts are acceptable to their client.

If you get diminished value, take that money and trade in the Mustang, before it is repaired, because most Dealers will take it in trade if they have a body shop. It looks minor to many , but the rim could have potential IRS issues, so you want a reputable shop to fix it if you don't trade.

#1ford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt premium convertble antimatter blue
Vehicle Showcase
In my opinion you should expect a undetectable repair! And I would not expect the car unless it is to your satisfaction 100%

Soonertim4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2021 twister orange gt performance pack
First off, glad you are ok. The thing that sucks the most is if he does have insurance, how much coverage does he have? Enough to cover all vehicles?
the same thing happened to me and i had to use my own insurance to cover repairs.
hopefully things work out for you

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
The feeling of not wanting the car anymore is understandable. This is a big stain on what was probably a consistent source of happiness and fun in your life. I suspect I would be feeling the same.

I agree with @Konamoth. Get it assessed, insisting that it be made as good as new with OEM parts and see where you end up. It's worth holding out on making any decisions until then since your car is/was/will be beautiful. It looks like you have done some tasteful mods, likely have made it your own in ways that aren't visible from the pics.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Shitty. I hate that we have to share the road with people who shouldn't be there. ...
A LOT of people say this about Mustang drivers. Just saying...

Sponsored

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
That is business 101 for Geico, they don’t use OEM parts whenever possible. I’ve heard a hundred times people argue that the car isn’t going back to how it was before the accident so they were going to fight Geico, and then an update that they lost the fight… not trying to be a downer, just want you to be aware of the shitty reality. In many cases you can argue some parts with the body shop, and some parts OEM, some parts not. Once that’s done you can pay the difference out of pocket to make all parts OEM. Again, I know it sucks, I’d be furious, but I don’t want you to get your hopes/expectations beyond the reality of a giant company with more lawyers than people that care about your car…I hope it all works out for you one way or another, sorry you have to deal with this.

Side note, I have Geico on all my cars and after my wife got into an accident in her SUV and I dealt with all this I’m switching my Mustang to Hagerty, because they *seem* to be an insurance company for people who love cars.

Polski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marek
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP2 401A
Vehicle Showcase
That is business 101 for Geico, they don’t use OEM parts whenever possible. I’ve heard a hundred times people argue that the car isn’t going back to how it was before the accident so they were going to fight Geico, and then an update that they lost the fight… not trying to be a downer, just want you to be aware of the shitty reality. In many cases you can argue some parts with the body shop, and some parts OEM, some parts not. Once that’s done you can pay the difference out of pocket to make all parts OEM. Again, I know it sucks, I’d be furious, but I don’t want you to get your hopes/expectations beyond the reality of a giant company with more lawyers than people that care about your car…I hope it all works out for you one way or another, sorry you have to deal with this.
I have Liberty Mutual and I had no idea that you need to select the OEM replacement option. I knew that after my first accident when I gof rear-ended by a POS without insurance. After that, I upgraded my insurance, like 40 bucks a year so next time "hopefully won't need it) I will just get OEM without the body shop jumping in and helping.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The feeling of not wanting the car anymore is understandable. This is a big stain on what was probably a consistent source of happiness and fun in your life. I suspect I would be feeling the same.

I agree with @Konamoth. Get it assessed, insisting that it be made as good as new with OEM parts and see where you end up. It's worth holding out on making any decisions until then since your car is/was/will be beautiful. It looks like you have done some tasteful mods, likely have made it your own in ways that aren't visible from the pics.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

A LOT of people say this about Mustang drivers. Just saying...
Haha, it's true. Lots of bad drivers of all cars. With that said, demanding OEM parts is probably a bad idea these days. There's a body shop I pass by every day at work, and until about the middle of last year their parking lot never had more than 10 or so cars waiting for work/parts. Now it's like triple that. They're running out of damn lot space for vehicles that are waiting for parts.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Interesting read for those unaware of the use of Non-OEM crash replacement parts or even in some instances, salvaged crash replacement parts. Scroll to page (9) of the doc to see if your State is listed. Not sure if there's an updated more current version, but this gives the base of knowledge for what to expect (AND if some folks just didn't read the fine print in their Insurance Policy) when it comes to crash repairs.

https://www.mwl-law.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/USE-OF-OEM-AFTERMARKET-CRASH-PARTS-CHART.pdf

and here's a good read regarding "Right To Repair":
https://www.fenderbender.com/articles/16441-whats-right-to-repair-all-about

Fastoldman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2021 Iconic Silver Mach 1, 13 Viper GTS, 22 Ram CC
Great post by Cobra Jet as he is reiterating what I was trying to tell the OP. Depending on the State you are in you can demand OEM parts and you can select the Body Shop to repair your vehicle, even if the estimate is higher. Do your due diligence and right now many of the parts are OEM , because aftermarket panels, etc. are often from China and the delays are often for those issues.

Do not forget to post the damage amount, check your State on that also, because some States have low damage figures that will cause your car to be rebranded as damaged, etc. This will drop your resale value tremendously and that is another reason to work on diminished value. Honestly , since the car will be listed on Carafe, Autocheck, etc. from now on, your trade in/sale value will always be less.
Sponsored