Well this will break some hearts.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
I know that the convertible weighs a bit more than the coupe but these results were very surprising.https://www.motor1.com/news/562435/vw-jetta-races-ford-mustang/
Sponsored

Last edited:

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
I have to admit I was relieved to see it was an EB.

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
The Germans lie, lie, lie about their hp numbers. Never believe them.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
IDK if I care that a glorified VW econobox is a little faster than my EB convertible. I probably drive by them daily without ever noticing. On the other hand I'm told twice a week or more by random strangers what a cool car I have.
So, no, my heart is intact.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
This will break more hearts:
Lmao. So you're telling me the best the Mach 1 driver with a manual could do was 13.7 seconds? That's actually embarrassing. Yes, the manual cars are much slower than the automatic, but if you can't get a number that starts with a 12, you suck, or the car is broken. It even has launch control built lmao

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Lmao. So you're telling me the best the Mach 1 driver with a manual could do was 13.7 seconds? That's actually embarrassing. Yes, the manual cars are much slower than the automatic, but if you can't get a number that starts with a 12, you suck, or the car is broken. It even has launch control built lmao
Yeah, clearly that staged race bears no relationship to everyday reality. Unless maybe the MT6 Mustang pilot had only one arm. Even thenā€¦

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
This exactly. Either it was a staged race (not surprising at all) or this was the first time operating a manual transmission for the Mach driver.

It's been shown many many times that a 2018+ Mustang GT is a low-mid 12 second car bone stock depending on the transmission. Those fancy Porsches (which cost twice as much as the GT mind you) that ran 12.9 and 12.7 respectively would have gotten whooped by any decent driver.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
The GT4 is an 11 second car. I could not beat one with my 911 (997.2) and it ran about 12.1 with the PDK in automatic mode. I don't know what they rate that 4.0 at but it's well over 400hp in real life and it isn't very heavy. It's a nasty little car, but It's really, really tight inside.

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
This exactly. Either it was a staged race (not surprising at all) or this was the first time operating a manual transmission for the Mach driver.

It's been shown many many times that a 2018+ Mustang GT is a low-mid 12 second car bone stock depending on the transmission. Those fancy Porsches (which cost twice as much as the GT mind you) that ran 12.9 and 12.7 respectively would have gotten whooped by any decent driver.
I donā€™t know. C&D, about as reliable as weā€™re going to get (standardized and corrected procedures and numbers), got the manual GT4 at 11.9@120. They got the Bullitt and M1 manual both at mid-12s at 115. 120mph indicates that, of course for a German car, the reported hp is a bit low even given its low weight. But the Porsche is >$100k, give me a break. Stupid comparison. If Ford had that price point in mind (MSRP) and made, say, a lower compression boosted Voodoo in a GT350, the results of this drag race would be very different.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bulldog9

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
I saw that video. Carwow is a joke, and this test was all about the drivers either in will or skill. I have a buddy with a Cayman GT4 and he is having a melt down over a BASE PDK Cayman hanging that close with the GT4.

https://carbuzz.com/compare/ford-mu...cayman-gt4#cars=i_52354-vs-i_84068-vs-i_81468

He and I have raced my 20 Bullitt and his 21 GT4, which is 300lbs heavier than a base Cayman and 500lbs lighter than the Bullitt (Mach 1), and let's remember that the Tremec is supposedly better/faster shifting than the Chinese built Getrag in the Bullitt. I haven't done anything to the trans, but have never experienced the lockout and problems, but after years driving cars requiring finesse with the shifter, and not being ham fisted, I find the Getrag a bit knotchy when cold, but fine otherwise. I do plan the BG fluid change soon, as well as a Steeda rear shifter mount.

We are about equal skilled drivers, though I have done more course work and used to autocross (Saab, VW GTI). We have also swapped out cars and completed same course in each others cars, and we find that the cars are about equal in acceleration in the straights and through the 1/4 mile with the GT4 having a slight advantage, but the Cayman eats the Bullitt's lunch in the curves and on the high speed (over 100) roll-ons.

But in the end, being in our mid-late 50's we are NOT track guys anymore, and while we don't DD our cars, the Bullitt/Mach 1 are far more comfortable, able to do cross country drives and all day trips like the Bourbon trail, run the BRP and twisties all day is greater comfort. PLUS we can double date putting our 5' wives or grand kids in the backseat ALL for 1/2 the price. He loves the GT4, but for the same price wishes he bought a Base 911 Carrera, or kept his Cayman S.

Yeah, this is OT, but I am the OP ;-)

Back to the Jetta GLI walking the HO ECO Boost with auto (fastest eco) I was most surprised that the Jetta waked the Mustang AFTER the initial launch/weight disadvantage. I've owned GTI's and GLI's and Audi's and always enjoyed the rolling response of the cars that let them punch above their class, but this test was a surprise.
Sponsored