Sponsored

Water spot etching on stripes

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
My car got stuck in the rain while I had a repair man working in the garage on the water heater. Looks like I have some water spots on the stripes that won’t come off. I have a coat of wax on the stripes too. Any other way I can protect against this happening again?
Sponsored

TxGT350-52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lead Foot, 2021 Diesel Tremor CG
Ceramic coating is an option. I am planning to have my paint corrected and ceramic coated to avoid hard water spots. You can pay to have it done or do it yourself if you want to save some money.

Nicky Pass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
You can buff them with a light compound....just like the paint.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2020 GT350R, 2020 Explorer ST
Definitely the ceramic coating as earlier stated. It makes a difference especially on those days where the car is parked and rain hits hard followed by clear sunny skies an hour later, and you won’t be able to get back to your car until later in the day.

:like:

OP
OP
09cs

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
You can buff them with a light compound....just like the paint.
I did that a few weeks ago after the dealer let it stay out and put two coats of wax on it thinking it would help prevent this again

Sponsored

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
I have used diluted (50%) distilled white vinegar to remove water spots. It will not harm the paint, but it will strip any wax. What I did was to wet some cloth and let it sit on the area with the spots a minute or two (in the shade), but not so wet that it runs outside the cloth area. Then used a wet microfiber to wipe away. Might need to repeat, but it worked well for me. Used a cleaner wax afterwards. I have done this on cars with and without ceramic coating. This also works well on glass with water spots.

offcamber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic GT - Premium/PP
If vinegar or alcohol doesn’t work try clay bar.
Of course a wax and sealant after.

Hard water spots suuuuuuuck.

Sponsored
OP
OP
09cs

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
If vinegar or alcohol doesn’t work try clay bar.
Of course a wax and sealant after.

Hard water spots suuuuuuuck.
I just put wax on the stripes two weeks ago, so a little frustrated at it right now

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
I have used diluted (50%) distilled white vinegar to remove water spots. It will not harm the paint, but it will strip any wax. What I did was to wet some cloth and let it sit on the area with the spots a minute or two (in the shade), but not so wet that it runs outside the cloth area. Then used a wet microfiber to wipe away. Might need to repeat, but it worked well for me. Used a cleaner wax afterwards. I have done this on cars with and without ceramic coating. This also works well on glass with water spots.
This.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
Are the vinyl stripes clear-coated over?
No... the edges of the stripe are to sharp. If clear is put over stripes, the edge of the stripe gets rounded over due to the thickness of the clear coat.
If you rub your finger from the paint to the stripe, you can feel the defined edge of the stripe.
I have actually sprayed clear over stripes and decals and it rounds off the edges.

Les

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lester
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350-Ruby Red, 12 Roush RS3 Kona Blue, 33 Ford
Vehicle Showcase
I have used diluted (50%) distilled white vinegar to remove water spots.
This does work VERY well. Claying is an other option.
https://www.mckees37.com/jeweling-wax.html
McKee’s Jeweling Wax will remove water stops, scratches, scuffs dullness from stripes and paint. One of my favorite products to make paint and stripes POP! It takes shine to another level! Gloss Meter shows the real results!
3389AAF0-C0B3-4B6F-AF1C-5CD9F3C936DE.jpeg
Sponsored