Sponsored

Wait until Ford gets the 'bugs' worked out before buying?

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
In my opinion, waiting for the 2016 camaro numbers to be released would be a better idea, maybe Ford would want to match and increase power on both the ecoboost and v8 like what happened in 2010-2011
As much as I would like to wait for the new camaro or gt350. I do not currently have the patience to wait. I've been itching for a new car for almost a year now and have been obsessing over the mustang since just before it's official reveal. I am beyond ready for something new. In fact the only reason I don't have a new "Car" is because I bought the ranger last summer. That and the news of IRS coming to the new stang stopped me from picking up a 13 or 14. I know I will be happy with the stang, and more than likely it is my best choice between the two. Camaro might come out looking better it might not, but I highly doubt the fuel efficiency will be better. Power and tq will no doubt be better than the stang and again I really like chevy motors and their low end tq. But i've always been more of a mustang fan and i've wanted the 5.0 since it came back out. I always disliked the 4.6, not because it was a bad engine...but because it wasn't at least a 5.0. Wouldn't really stop me from buying an 03-04 but it just never wow'd me. Probably because my dad had a 90 or 91 5.0 fox body :)
Sponsored

smitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Auto, 13 Escape SEL
There will almost surely be a refresh by 2018 at latest IMO, based on the history of refreshes and what some insiders have posted on the site. If so then you are looking at a whole other set of potential bugs if they upgrade the transmissions and engines (which you have to think is almost guaranteed between now and then).

As Tony already pointed out, with a lot of carry over of parts that are the most high risk for problems, I think 2015 MY should not see any catastrophic recalls or anything like that. I have to wait until next year to buy for financial reasons but if I were in a position to, I would not hesitate to pull the trigger now. If your main reason for waiting is just fear of early adopter bugs in the suspension/chassis then I would give it until Job 2, Job 3....those issues should show up pretty early on I think.
:thumbsup: my order would already be in if I didn't have a '13 Focus to pay off first. I hate having 2 car payments at once :tsk: job3 probly for me ;)

Racerzx

In my opinion, waiting for the 2016 camaro numbers to be released would be a better idea, maybe Ford would want to match and increase power on both the ecoboost and v8 like what happened in 2010-2011
I think u missed the whole point of OP's question.

But to respond to this, I think it is just becomes a slippery slope. Waiting for 2017 to see how Ford will respond to the 2016 Camaro sounds great and all but then you will start to see spy shots of the 2018 refresh and consider waiting for the upgrades and new design. So you wait for the 2018, but then Camaro will be refreshed the next year and you wonder if you should wait to see how Ford responds to that in 2019/2020. It never ends. Bottom line is buy what you like now and stop worrying about keeping up with the joneses because you never will unless you plan to get a new car every 2-3 years.

Anyway back to the topic of BUGS in the first year...FWIW I agree that with the Coyote making a return there shouldn't be many issues there. The tranny has been updated to hopefuly be more reliable and address some complaints I have read. Only big question is IRS... and the EB engine I suppose.

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
Obviously I am not waiting. We'll see if that was wise or not. But the benefit of going early is you get to enjoy the new car. It's got great power, and if there's a big increase next year, I won't miss it. If there's a great refresh in 2018, I can decide then if I want to trade.

But my plan at the moment is to do with this one like I did with my first Mustang: drive it until it dies. I think it has 150k or 200k miles in it, and I want them all!

Fomoco15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 GT Vert
It depends how bad you really want that little thing on the dash that says SINCE 1964. Me ... I want it bad!!!!
:headbonk:

Sponsored

smitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It depends how bad you really want that little thing on the dash that says SINCE 1964. Me ... I want it bad!!!!
:headbonk:
Yes. I want a 50 year car too. Can't afford the 50th anniversary car, or I'd get that. This is the last new mustang for me. Nobody is going to believe me though ;)

oustaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully 2016 Mustang
Yes. I want a 50 year car too. Can't afford the 50th anniversary car, or I'd get that. This is the last new mustang for me. Nobody is going to believe me though ;)
This post is sad..... I wish you live enough to see the next and the next one until they stop making them :amen:

smitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This post is sad..... I wish you live enough to see the next and the next one until they stop making them :amen:
Thanks. I'm only 51 though so I should be around for a while (I hope) :p no, what I mean is I'm done with the latest greatest. I plan on ordering exactly what I want and what is available this model year and keeping it. Won't need to daily drive it, although I will at times. If you look at the list below, the one I wish I would have kept was the bullitt. Divorce forced the sale :frusty:
I took the supercharger off before I sold it and liked the balance of the car better without the extra power and weight. I plan to order the ecoboost, so that's the only "new" unknown that I see potentially having 1st year teething pains. The torque and lighter weight should make the EB an extremely fun package all around driving dynamic-wise. Anyway, I have no trepidation ordering in the first year :clap2:

Don's Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500. 2018 C63S
I have a very early 2011, and have had very few issues. I am not really worried, as the engine is pretty much the same, as is the trans. The only real issues the 11-14's have had were with the manual trans, and most of them just in the 11's and 12's seems the 13's and 14's have most of the trans issues fixed

Vapor08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Always used to hear that comment that's it's not a great idea to buy a new model right away - there'll be some bugs that will come up, best to wait until they're addressed.

Do you think that's still the case? I'd figure that it's not much of an issue these days. And, if it is, I still have the warranty . Thought? Experience?
I can only speak from experience but as of late every new vehicle platform that I've owned made by Ford has had it's growing pains. The same can be said for the Ecoboost motors as well. Ask any 1.6l Ecoboost owner if they would have waited until Ford had solved the overheating problem before they bought one.

I've spent too much time dealing with warranty issues over things that were addressed in later builds to get caught buying a first run of a new platform again. I believe the increased complexity of the average car will lead to more problems that some may have not experienced in the past. MFT still sucks and updates are hardly introduced anymore.

Visit the board after people have had the car for more than a couple of months and the honeymoon period is over. You'll start to see complaints and common issues start to pop up. This is a trend I've seen with many of the new vehicles I've purchased. It would be nice if the new Mustang proves me wrong but given Fords track record as of late with new platforms I don't see it happening.

Sponsored

oustaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully 2016 Mustang
Thanks. I'm only 51 though so I should be around for a while (I hope) :p no, what I mean is I'm done with the latest greatest. I plan on ordering exactly what I want and what is available this model year and keeping it. Won't need to daily drive it, although I will at times. If you look at the list below, the one I wish I would have kept was the bullitt. Divorce forced the sale :frusty:
I took the supercharger off before I sold it and liked the balance of the car better without the extra power and weight. I plan to order the ecoboost, so that's the only "new" unknown that I see potentially having 1st year teething pains. The torque and lighter weight should make the EB an extremely fun package all around driving dynamic-wise. Anyway, I have no trepidation ordering in the first year :clap2:
:thumbsup:

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
I can only speak from experience but as of late every new vehicle platform that I've owned made by Ford has had it's growing pains. The same can be said for the Ecoboost motors as well. Ask any 1.6l Ecoboost owner if they would have waited until Ford had solved the overheating problem before they bought one.

I've spent too much time dealing with warranty issues over things that were addressed in later builds to get caught buying a first run of a new platform again. I believe the increased complexity of the average car will lead to more problems that some may have not experienced in the past. MFT still sucks and updates are hardly introduced anymore.

Visit the board after people have had the car for more than a couple of months and the honeymoon period is over. You'll start to see complaints and common issues start to pop up. This is a trend I've seen with many of the new vehicles I've purchased. It would be nice if the new Mustang proves me wrong but given Fords track record as of late with new platforms I don't see it happening.
People that complain about using MFT are either to stupid to use it or to stupid to update it. We had it when it was MyFordHELLDONTTOUCHME the newest V2 is a breeze to use and much better.

Plus I'm guessing you have never used a Mercedes Nav.....seriously. "Joes Crab Shack"..........."Did you say Church of Scientology?"......."Fuuuuu nooooo"

Mikes5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track/2014 Explorer Sport

What issues did the 1.6 have? I bought a 2014 escape with this engine but did not see many complaints other that my Ford touch issues.

Snakedriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I'm not waiting either, I have dealt with early Gen problems before just have to deal with it.

Vapor08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
People that complain about using MFT are either to stupid to use it or to stupid to update it. We had it when it was MyFordHELLDONTTOUCHME the newest V2 is a breeze to use and much better.

Plus I'm guessing you have never used a Mercedes Nav.....seriously. "Joes Crab Shack"..........."Did you say Church of Scientology?"......."Fuuuuu nooooo"
I guess the experience is all relative. If you only use it for small tasks like changing a radio station or turning on the AC then it may be ok for you. I still cannot get the damn thing to recognize a POI from the prompt screen. Fords own IVT team knows of the issue but does not know of a fix yet. I've used Nav and hands free systems in many different vehicles including Mercedes. No system is perfect but Ford is at the bottom with MFT, just check out consumer reports, NHTSA, or any of the others. The last Mazda I owned had a system that worked pretty damn well but it was not as complex as MFT either.
Sponsored