Sponsored

Wait until Ford gets the 'bugs' worked out before buying?

SuperSnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Always used to hear that comment that's it's not a great idea to buy a new model right away - there'll be some bugs that will come up, best to wait until they're addressed.

Do you think that's still the case? I'd figure that it's not much of an issue these days. And, if it is, I still have the warranty . Thought? Experience?
Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Every car has bugs. My 2011 has been to the dealer once, yet there are people with '13s and '14s who've been to the dealer several times.

oustaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully 2016 Mustang
In my opinion, waiting for the 2016 camaro numbers to be released would be a better idea, maybe Ford would want to match and increase power on both the ecoboost and v8 like what happened in 2010-2011

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
You will continue to hear that expressed, in my opinion, no matter what. Having had multiple Mustangs since 1995, I can point to my own experience as follows in terms of things gone wrong in a new model -

1) 1994 GT - had for 2 years, no mechanical issues or reliability concerns
2) 1996 Cobra - marginal on engine cooling but never had an overheating issue in daily driver use
3) 2000 GT - clutch pedal vibration (eventually remedied by replacement of flywheel, clutch plate, throw-out bearing over multiple visits), paint delamination off front bumper
4) 2003 Mach 1 - transmission replacement after developing "crunchy" shifting
5) 2007 GT - airbag sensor replacement, seat cushion replacement
6) 2010 GT - airbag sensor replacement, seat cushion replacement, blend door actuator

These were the major items I had replaced under the factory warranty. Anything can happen at any time, but I personally feel confident enough to go ahead with a purchase. That is not to say that reliability concerns aren't real and could not occur in an all new car. However, of all the things I would worry about early on, it would be first in the powertrain, followed by electronics, and then assembly fit and finish.

My experience only here...others may vary.

1cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang automatic
Take a look at the C7

Hi,
The new mustang is NEW. it is not on the same platform so there could be problems. Look at the new C7 corvette, I have. The rear lower arm shock mount fell off one car and recalled a lot of them. The mustang will have all new rear suspension. The nav doesn't work as it's a new supplier also. So there are many things that could go wrong with all the part suppliers. I have had many Fords and have had no major issues but with cost cutting the suppliers could be suspect now.
Food for thought.
Perry.
:confused:

Sponsored

GNS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
I'm waiting until the 2017 or 2018 model before thinking of buying. Bugs get worked out, incentives will start to appear, more standard equipment, more improvements to match or better the competition, etc.

I'm patient, my current car is only 3.5 years old and still plenty fast, no issues since having had the headlights replaced under warranty for heat damage from DRLs. I refuse to jump into another car buying decision without careful thought.

Mikes5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track/2014 Explorer Sport
I bought my 2011 in 2010 so one of the first available and never had any issues. I was even lucky enough not to be effected by the bad trans but still had the dealer replace the trans fluid. The only reason I will probably not pull the trigger on the 2015 is I want to wait to see what the 2016 camaro looks like. In reality Ill probably walk on to the ford lot and leave with a new stang. lol

S550guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Hi,
The new mustang is NEW. it is not on the same platform so there could be problems. Look at the new C7 corvette, I have. The rear lower arm shock mount fell off one car and recalled a lot of them. The mustang will have all new rear suspension. The nav doesn't work as it's a new supplier also. So there are many things that could go wrong with all the part suppliers. I have had many Fords and have had no major issues but with cost cutting the suppliers could be suspect now.
Food for thought.
Perry.
:confused:
So, the "nav doesn't work"... Where is this info coming from?

In every S550 vehicle I've been in thus far, the nav/SYNC in general works better than any S197 or gen-1 SYNC/nav system...

Back to your point, this is indeed a new body, on a new chassis, with a new powertrain (I4 EcoBoost). So there are bound to be a few small nit-pick issues. However, understand that Ford is getting all the 'bugs' worked out before they bother launching S550. Otherwise, it would be recalls galore. Nobody wants to see a Mustang recall.... Nobody.

S550guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I bought my 2011 in 2010 so one of the first available and never had any issues. I was even lucky enough not to be effected by the bad trans but still had the dealer replace the trans fluid. The only reason I will probably not pull the trigger on the 2015 is I want to wait to see what the 2016 camaro looks like. In reality Ill probably walk on to the ford lot and leave with a new stang. lol
Also understand Ford isn't going to sit on it's haunches and let the 2016 Camaro take all of the glory.....

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
So, the "nav doesn't work"... Where is this info coming from?

In every S550 vehicle I've been in thus far, the nav/SYNC in general works better than any S197 or gen-1 SYNC/nav system...

Back to your point, this is indeed a new body, on a new chassis, with a new powertrain (I4 EcoBoost). So there are bound to be a few small nit-pick issues. However, understand that Ford is getting all the 'bugs' worked out before they bother launching S550. Otherwise, it would be recalls galore. Nobody wants to see a Mustang recall.... Nobody.
he's talking about the new stingray :thumbsup: but I have no idea how accurate his statements are

Sponsored

Mriley

There will almost surely be a refresh by 2018 at latest IMO, based on the history of refreshes and what some insiders have posted on the site. If so then you are looking at a whole other set of potential bugs if they upgrade the transmissions and engines (which you have to think is almost guaranteed between now and then).

As Tony already pointed out, with a lot of carry over of parts that are the most high risk for problems, I think 2015 MY should not see any catastrophic recalls or anything like that. I have to wait until next year to buy for financial reasons but if I were in a position to, I would not hesitate to pull the trigger now. If your main reason for waiting is just fear of early adopter bugs in the suspension/chassis then I would give it until Job 2, Job 3....those issues should show up pretty early on I think.

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
I never buy the first year anymore. Have had bad experiences in the past.

SWLA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In my opinion, waiting for the 2016 camaro numbers to be released would be a better idea, maybe Ford would want to match and increase power on both the ecoboost and v8 like what happened in 2010-2011
This is why I'm waiting also.

1cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang automatic
Nav

I'm talking the nav in the corvette as an example of new suppliers with untested equipment. I'm sure the new platform is good however everything that bolts to it has not been tested in real world yet.
Perry.
Sponsored