Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
It all boils down to subjective opinions, Tom. I always thought Ford's decision to make the 350 badging a flat little plate was a bad one. They look cheap whereas the 500 Snakes are what should be on the car. I just prefer the black and silver over any red.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
Straight water might be alright for small decals like the snakes, Goose, but you need the solution to be slippery and that's where the the detergent comes into play. I've applied dozens and dozens of fairly large decals and the odds of you needing to "lift" it to reposition are high. So, with just water, you might find that the decal is much more difficult to apply than with a lightly soapy solution.

And, FWIW, I never use adhesive promoter as it just gets diluted or washed away while eliminating the air and liquid.

As an example, the rain tray snakes I made are a foot high and it would be totally impossible to apply such a large decal without lubricating solution.

raintray-snake.jpg
Totally agree. I’ve applied stripes, pinstripes, windshield banners and decals. I’ve used a soapy water solution for all of those. For these small graphics, I didn’t want to introduce any soap, especially on the splitter. I was already concerned with adhesion... having ceramic coating I’m sure doesn’t help.

So far so good though with everything staying put. I hit 150 on a Mustang cruise yesterday and also hit a crap ton of large bugs. The car is all clean again today and the decals all held firm.

A0522F9B-5484-47AB-B77E-57423506ACA1.jpeg

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
Straight water might be alright for small decals like the snakes, Goose, but you need the solution to be slippery and that's where the the detergent comes into play. I've applied dozens and dozens of fairly large decals and the odds of you needing to "lift" it to reposition are high. So, with just water, you might find that the decal is much more difficult to apply than with a lightly soapy solution.

And, FWIW, I never use adhesive promoter as it just gets diluted or washed away while eliminating the air and liquid.

As an example, the rain tray snakes I made are a foot high and it would be totally impossible to apply such a large decal without lubricating solution.

raintray-snake.jpg
I like that look, I wonder how well its going to hold up with the heat from the engine bay. And you made that huh? Interesting...I have to think about this, But I'm thinking white, or a contrast color.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Mike: Others have had the same rain tray decal on for some time and neither they nor I have seen any indication of heat issues on the vinyl. I'm fairly sure it would have affected it by now.

Yes, I cut the decal in the photo, it's two layers of vinyl, full black background and red snake, and I've made them for a few other folks as well.

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I would do the rain tray vinyl if I actually used my rain tray. I have it out most of the time since my car is a nice weather machine. I just put it back in to wash the car, but it’s coming back out again.

Sponsored

SEERED

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Vehicle(s)
20 GT500-LOUDMOUTH LIME
Mike, sorry I missed your question on the soap. A few years back I did some very large (12' x 2') splash decals on my F250 and the MFG of the vinyl gave me the tip for Johnsons Baby Shampoo and not a generic. I guess fresh squeezed babies are best and have no harsh chemicals. Worked like a charm with no lift or residue to fight.

Kent, are you interested in making another rain tray snake?

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Goose: That tray is a PITA to remove, at least for the shorter individuals. I believe The answer is Jaime's (@Jmeo) magnet solution that I plan to do, maybe this Winter. Check his build thread.

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Goose: That tray is a PITA to remove, at least for the shorter individuals. I believe The answer is Jaime's (@Jmeo) magnet solution that I plan to do, maybe this Winter. Check his build thread.
I vaguely recall seeing that mod thread and thought it was handy, but I’d be concerned about it coming loose some how. It would be bad if it dislodged while driving.

I plan to get the carbon fiber hood vent as soon as one becomes available. My rain tray will only get put on for washes or long road trips.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Based on Jamie's comments and the strength of the magnets, Goose, he didn't think there was a chance of it coming loose as the magnets exert considerable force. I believe he mentioned bumping up to even stronger versions just to be sure. But, I'll never race the car so she gets enough air with the tray for my needs and I would only need/want to remove it occasionally.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I vaguely recall seeing that mod thread and thought it was handy, but I’d be concerned about it coming loose some how. It would be bad if it dislodged while driving.

I plan to get the carbon fiber hood vent as soon as one becomes available. My rain tray will only get put on for washes or long road trips.
The magnets work perfectly for washing the vehicle. Open the hood, snap it in place, wash the car, then remove. This is the only reason I use this particular rain tray. I have a second one that I would install if ever I was worried about a long distance trip.

But.... what I would do if I didn't have two, is install the magnets to all but the four corners. This way the rain tray will have enough magnets to be held in place for washing, but also have the four corners to install the original hardware for long distance driving. Best of both worlds.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
The magnets work perfectly for washing the vehicle. Open the hood, snap it in place, wash the car, then remove. This is the only reason I use this particular rain tray. I have a second one that I would install if ever I was worried about a long distance trip.

But.... what I would do if I didn't have two, is install the magnets to all but the four corners. This way the rain tray will have enough magnets to be held in place for washing, but also have the four corners to install the original hardware for long distance driving. Best of both worlds.
Ahhhh, gotcha! That makes sense... good mod Jaime!
I did these on my rapid red as well Goose. I love them!
Awesome! I might be doing a bit more soon... :idea:
Sponsored