Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
sunlight in rear, goes into rear seat.
Donald: From your photos, It appears as though you reside at least in the mid latitudes or futher north. Believe me, that big window in back most assuredly is the reason for the car getting SO hot when parked down here in the Tropics. As for the windshield tint and me in the car, that's what air conditioning and sunglasses are for, right? <smile>

Mark: Amazing and CHP hasn't hassled you yet? Darker definitely looks better but the reduction in viz is what I don't like.
Sponsored

P4mnceblue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500, Ranger
Thank you! This is exactly what I was wanting to see. This has me leaning towards 35%. I think it is dark enough against the blue to look sharp but not scream "give me a ticket"! The 20% looks amazing but I'm not sure I want to deal with the chance of having to remove it later. Here in Michigan you remove it or it's a fine and 2 points. The fine isn't a problem but the points on your drivers license can get real expensive.
Valid concern. Unless you go to your ophthalmologist and explain you have been getting headaches when outside and/or driving, esp on sunny days. Polarized sunglasses help but not 100%. Such a scenario would warrant a medical script for tinted windows for photosensitivity. At which point you could get whatever % you feel best remedies your condition without worry of the law!

peoples1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS
Again, not a 500 but I have 35% 3M Crystalline tint which has a bluer hue than charcoal ceramic tint. It’s plenty dark for me.
93814FF6-A44D-4E6B-BB72-A255D3B44AF5.jpeg

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Donald: From your photos, It appears as though you reside at least in the mid latitudes or futher north. Believe me, that big window in back most assuredly is the reason for the car getting SO hot when parked down here in the Tropics. As for the windshield tint and me in the car, that's what air conditioning and sunglasses are for, right? <smile>

Mark: Amazing and CHP hasn't hassled you yet? Darker definitely looks better but the reduction in viz is what I don't like.
I meant for driving, not sitting. The ac will fight that hot feeling yeah but you can block it pretty much all way if you fully ceramic all around the car

I grew up key largo Florida, ceramic tint is a luxury. Worth grabbing

Sponsored

marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Vehicle Showcase
KB, it is illegal in CA to have ANY tint on the windshield below the already tinted eyebrow at the top also the front drivers and passengers windows. However, 70% is a fairly light tint and it isn't really noticeable. I have been doing this on all my vehicles since 2007. I only go as dark as 50% on the front passenger and drivers windows because you can still see in and that is what they are mainly concerned about and I have never been bothered with that either. On the rear side or back windows, I normally use 8-10 %. If you do get stopped and cited, you have two choices. Have the tint removed, the citation signed off and pay $25 or pay $240 and keep the tint.

I tint my windows mainly to keep the UV's out to save the interior. The windshield is important as it keeps the dash and front seats from fading, cracking, etc. When you have leather seats, it is very important. Not sure if you have ever seen the leather seats that are in a Ford King Ranch truck but after a few years they can look very faded and become very stiff. I have a 2007 F150 King Ranch with 272,000 miles and the seats look almost as good as the day I bought it. Sure there are some wear signs but they are not faded and still somewhat supple.

As far as ceramic tints, they are great for keeping the heat out so if you live or drive in areas with extreme heat, it is very useful. I normally just use ceramic on the windshield and back rear window as they bring in the most heat. I will be getting my Mach E in about a month and even though I'm sure that glass roof will have a good amount of UV and heat rejection, I will for sure be having that tinted with a ceramic/UV tint just to add even more rejection along with the windshield and rear hatch window.

While this is not Velocity Blue (FPB), I am posting these so you can see what lighter tint (what I seem to get away with in CA) looks like. 70% on the windshield, 50% on the side windows. These were taken with the sun low early in the morning with the light going through the windows so the tint looks a little lighter than normal. With the sun overhead, it would look darker.

NZ7_53671900.jpg

NZ7_53731900.jpg

Last edited:

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Love reading your posts, Mark, I virtually always learn something (like I had forgotten what that RB rig is worth.) <grin>

I wondered about those CA laws, obviously many people are teasing the animals. I hear ya on the interior, had an '05 SD KR and used neoprene seat covers for many years. The different in the leather underneath was substantial.

The interior fading argument is solid and since tint it is not a moving violation, I don't THINK points are associated here in the Republic of Texas, but it wouldn't surprise me, especially for a repeat offense. I'll look into that but it's such a small town and we know how easily the car is noticed, it would be my luck to receive three or four cites a year and that would certainly make for some expensive tint. :cool:

I do use a CC dash cover on two of the three vehicles...(she doesn't care) and I know that helps the vinyl but the seat argument is definitely valid.

I do wish the industry would use a different way to measure the amount of tint or at least say it in a more logical way, at least to me. A percentage of visible light transmission is not something that rolls off the average Joe's tongue. :cool:

But, with the difference in some OEM tints, I can see where a very slight one might sneak by most of the time. But if they can't literally see you through the side window around here, you're gonna get stopped, period.

Anyway, I do need to get my girl's done here pretty soon as it's gonna be hot and bright before too long.

T'anks for the info...

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
First time to tint a front windshield and i was little apprehensive. My sides/back are 5% DARK. Front is 50? i think. I was worried about the front as i have become accustomed to driving at night with dark sides. I can honestly say i don't notice the front windshield at night which is amazing. And during the sunlight its awesome.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
time to tint a front windshield and i was little apprehensive. My sides/back are 5% DARK. Front is 50? i think. I was worried about the front as i have become accustomed to driving at night with dark sides. I can honestly say i don't notice the front windshield at night which is amazing. And during the sunlight its awesome.
+1 Same here, was doubtful at first but no regrets.

They have 90% it’s invisible
I have 70% and no one has even realized that I have it. Barely noticeable.

Sponsored

marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Vehicle Showcase
I did tint one of my F150 windshields 50% and it was a bit dark for me at night. So went back to 70%. I did it for the look but wanted a little better vision at night even tough I do have all LED lighting plus light bars on the front. It’s what happens when you are old like me. Need more light to see better. 😊

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
+1 Same here, was doubtful at first but no regrets.

I have 70% and no one has even realized that I have it. Barely noticeable.
yeah, thats what ive been trying to stress. 70 is slightly visible, like barely, 80% (what I have) even basically invisible. Looks 100% oem. and 90%. that is, truly 99% invisible. it wouldn't be a darkness factor it would be you touching the windshield inside to realize its tinted.

if you are being pulled over, they wouldn't even know its tinted unless you tell them. Your windshield wouldn't be why you are pulled over anyway to worry about it.