Sponsored

Varitune vs Varex - review

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I tried both and can compare the two.

BBK Varitune axleback is cheaper and thus was my first option.

Varitune with closed valve is louder than Varex catback with open valve by ~5 decibels on idle, warmed up.

BBK Varitune is nice but was louder than I wanted it to be with closed valve. I ended up driving it with closed valve only and even was having some buffles inserted in tips to make it a little quieter.

Drone - the key to not having drone with this system is proper installation. It is a clamp on system, so make sure you have enough overlap in all joints. Make sure you clamp it tight, make sure tips are not behind bumper cover but rather stick out as far as possible. Otherwise there might be sound leak under the car and it will result in unpleasant frequencies penetrating cabin at ~ 2000rpm. I reclamped mine. With proper clamping drone is very minor. I'd rate it 2/10 maybe. You do not have to raise your voice or anything. That's driving with closed valves. People claimed that having different valve openings right vs left tunes drone out completely, but I haven't tried that as I did not want it any louder.

After about three months I decided to give Varex a try after one of forum members claimed that closed valves equal to stock sound level. That's what I wanted to begin with.

Indeed, xforce Varex is really stock quiet (closed valve) which I really appreciate during cold starts in the neighborhood. Open valve configuration is a tad quieter than closed valve Varitune. It's kind of what I was trying to achieve with varitune by inserting buffles in the tips.

Varex costs more, but you also get an x-piped resonator and remote control which justifies the difference for me.

Drone was completely absent for the initial period of several days, but I can hear it a little now, maybe 1/10,... maybe even 0.5/10... or maybe I'm just too picky.

Quality wise Varex is much better in terms of material and joints if that matters to you. Varex is all shiny and reflective... maybe even too much :)

If I need to drop a grain of salt on Varex - that would be this: I decided to verify system functioning before the install and figured out that valves in mufflers do opposite things.When one closes another on opens and vice versa. I filled in a support form and then tried to call them at their phone numbers but got no response whatsoever. I eventually decided to take a risk and swapped wires that connect to valve engine - that fixed the issue and I decided to proceed with installation.

Flange joints guarantee no sound leaks, but that makes installation a little more difficult.

I haven't weighed systems, but both feel lighter than parts they replace of the stock system.

Sound wise I like Varex more, but YMMV.

So, if you do not want it too quiet, get BBK Varitune even though it's just axleback. you'll be able to adjust it to your liking, but this is not the system you'd adjust frequently as you need to get on the ground and wrench. Takes 2 minutes, but I'd not do it daily.

Varex catback lets you switch it here and there, but it's not very loud in open state if you wanted your system to scream...

It happened to be what I wanted and what adults with families would most likely preffer. Those who preffer not to disturb neighbour families, those who preffer their families not to be disturbed by neighbours in exchange. Open valve, normal driving mode - you'll get noticed, but not like from couple of blocks. You'll need to push to make it loud.
Sponsored

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Man, why does nobody have a review on the standard X-force non Varex system!!!!

I think the Varex with their full header kit sounds awesome, but am allergic to super loud exhausts :)

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Man, why does nobody have a review on the standard X-force non Varex system!!!!

I think the Varex with their full header kit sounds awesome, but am allergic to super loud exhausts :)
Me too. So I tried adjustable systems.

Sponsored

AZStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium /Performance

EODTech87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Btw for cost buy from carid. They sell some of the x-force stuff under the SpeedFX brand for quite a bit cheaper.

DeCo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I am seriously considering the X-Force Varex exhaust. Being able to have it quiet when needed would be a huge bonus, my wife hated my 97 Cobra with Flowmasters, I didn't like the drone with the top up. I recently bought my 2016 GT, the dealer had the Borla mufflers replaced and they had Factory mufflers welded in. So I have been trying to decide if I should go with the X-Force Varex Catback for the axle back. I'm certainly not a kid anymore at half a century lol. Anyone have any experience with the Varex system with a Borla X-pipe? My other thoughts are if I go with the Catback it will be a 3" system as opposed to 2.5" and if I decide to go for the headers later it would be an easy fit.

SilverStallion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alexis
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I am seriously considering the X-Force Varex exhaust. Being able to have it quiet when needed would be a huge bonus, my wife hated my 97 Cobra with Flowmasters, I didn't like the drone with the top up. I recently bought my 2016 GT, the dealer had the Borla mufflers replaced and they had Factory mufflers welded in. So I have been trying to decide if I should go with the X-Force Varex Catback for the axle back. I'm certainly not a kid anymore at half a century lol. Anyone have any experience with the Varex system with a Borla X-pipe? My other thoughts are if I go with the Catback it will be a 3" system as opposed to 2.5" and if I decide to go for the headers later it would be an easy fit.
It should be a 3" catback all the way through. If you get the xforce header it's a direct bolt on. If you get anything else your going to have to figure it out. I'm in the process of see how to make my xforce catback work on tsp headers

Sponsored

djcodeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT roush SC
Thanks for the review... just picked up a used varex locally...will install it this week
20220517_221519.jpg

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I have the 2018+ version of the varex on my 2018 (totally custom setup though, I had the MBRP catback then added 20" bottle resonators on the H pipe then added just the varex mufflers). Absolutely love it. One thing though, dont go WOT with the valves closed, way too much backpressure especially if you are supercharged. Literally you lose like 250+ horsepower by having the valves closed atleast if you normally make ~800 rwhp.

brianbr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic GT PP
I have the 2018+ version of the varex on my 2018 (totally custom setup though, I had the MBRP catback then added 20" bottle resonators on the H pipe then added just the varex mufflers). Absolutely love it. One thing though, dont go WOT with the valves closed, way too much backpressure especially if you are supercharged. Literally you lose like 250+ horsepower by having the valves closed atleast if you normally make ~800 rwhp.
I have basically the same setup as you only with catted headers, with the valves open it's stupid loud.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I have basically the same setup as you only with catted headers, with the valves open it's stupid loud.
It really is insane lol. I just have cat deletes with oem manifolds. Sounds so good and doesnt drone, but when you get above 4k rpm its just insanity.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Thanks for the review... just picked up a used varex locally...will install it this week
20220517_221519.jpg
A year or so later I found their smart box add on on a great sale. Like it. It adds some programming to you varex system. Like you could enter your neighborhood GPS coordinates and it will close\open valves for you automatically. Or you can make it open under load. Or, open 50%, etc, etc etc.
Sponsored