V8 potential problems coming? [ADMIN WARNING: *** NO POLITICS ***]

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Well, to be very fair, humanity hasn't really invested much time or money into really seeing if contained fusion is possible or not until fairly recently. Luckily some major projects are coming online in the next few years to test the important questions (ignition, containment, and finally energy harvesting). Ignition seems possible based on some recent developments, so I think containment is going to be the big one. We've been able to generate fusion reactions for a long time, but burning them slow at a small scale and without destroying everything around them is hard mode.

Regardless, I don't think fusion will be some panacea even if it does end up being possible. The capital costs to build a fusion plant, especially in the beginning, will be enormous. It will be a great achievement for sure, but economical? That remains to be seen. It won't really matter too much because the usefulness would outweigh its cost for certain applications, but I doubt it's going to help out much at a consumer level, at least not in my lifetime.

Ultimately we're too busy arguing about which technology will "take over" for gas, when in reality it's going to take everything in the bag working together to make something workable. For example, electric cars are great for city dwellers, but terrible for long distance. So, why not hydrogen to fill that deficiency? And then gas can stick around for remote areas and harsh climates, where it excels. Gasoline will always be coming out of distillation towers when we refine crude (which has too many uses to truly retire), so keeping it around at a smaller scale far into the future makes perfect sense.
Wow, a balanced and reasonable statement without hyperbole, demands, accusations or extremist claims. What is the internet coming to? šŸ¤£

Seriously, you are spot on. I see nothing wrong with having options and I see no reason we cannot continue to have different flavors of performance oriented vehicles in the future. They may not look exactly like they do now, but seeing what else might be possible is more than half the fun!
Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Ultimately we're too busy arguing about which technology will "take over" for gas, when in reality it's going to take everything in the bag working together to make something workable. For example, electric cars are great for city dwellers, but terrible for long distance. So, why not hydrogen to fill that deficiency? And then gas can stick around for remote areas and harsh climates, where it excels. Gasoline will always be coming out of distillation towers when we refine crude (which has too many uses to truly retire), so keeping it around at a smaller scale far into the future makes perfect sense.
The problem is that, as reasonable as this may seem in theory, you couldn't implement it.
EV research and development takes an enormous amount of money and effort, which no big company would willingly invest just for the sake of a few city dwellers or virtue signallers. Unless you force them to invest in it, by banning the products they normally make, they won't do it. We've seen how many major auto manufacturers jumped on the bandwagon before the politicians stepped in - none.
So, if you want proper, functional EVs, and not just some stupidly useless things that not even Greta would drive, then you must ban ICEs. But if you go down this route, then you can't make exceptions for remote areas and harsh climates. Why should you be allowed to buy an ICE car just because you happen to live in a remote area, while I should be forced to give up something I love if I live in a town with nice weather? It wouldn't be fair. And even if you managed to pass such a law, it would be in vain, because no manufacturer would continue producing ICE cars for a few people living in remote areas, after having being forced to invest billions in EVs for the rest of the market.
And hydrogen? That technology must still be developed. But who's going to develop it, if not auto manufacturers? But if auto manufacturers are literally forced to go "green" so extremely quickly, then they can't afford to invest extra billions in a new, unproven technology. Time is running out, fast. In automotive development fifteen years is like a week and a half. So they have no choice but to just take whatever happens to be available right now, however good or bad it may be, and to make do with it somehow.

Last edited:

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
I don't see nuclear power have safety issues in Europe

We had 1 accident that was surely catastrophic but we have to remind it happened in Soviet Union with a rector design nobody in the civilized world ever used because it was inherently unsafe (but cheap and good for making weapon grade plutonium).
You are obviously not well informed.
Read up on the corrosion problems that the French are currently experiencing with their reactors.
The main problem is the age of the equipment, all over Europe.

I would also include Fukushima, but these are only the major events with catastrophic effects, so I would not base my assessment on that.

Germany is not alone in this, by the way.
The Swiss are also getting out.
You can say whatever you want about them, but not that they are significantly influenced by Germany.

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
You are obviously not well informed.
Read up on the corrosion problems that the French are currently experiencing with their reactors.
The main problem is the age of the equipment, all over Europe.

I would also include Fukushima, but these are only the major events with catastrophic effects, so I would not base my assessment on that.

Germany is not alone in this, by the way.
The Swiss are also getting out.
You can say whatever you want about them, but not that they are significantly influenced by Germany.
I'm "obviously" now well informed. Thanks to you for letting me know that.
I see the whole France glowing from the window at night, now that you say it I figured it out what it was.

Fukushima was yes a 1 on the INES scale, but you know how many people killed the tsunami? And how many the accident?

If the majority of the people were thinking we would not be having todays problems. It's not that because the majority is doing something, then is good.

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
The problem is that, as reasonable as this may seem in theory, you couldn't implement it.
EV research and development takes an enormous amount of money and effort, which no big company would willingly invest just for the sake of a few city dwellers or virtue signallers. Unless you force them to invest in it, by banning the products they normally make, they won't do it. We've seen how many major auto manufacturers jumped on the bandwagon before the politicians stepped in - none.
So, if you want proper, functional EVs, and not just some stupidly useless things that not even Greta would drive, then you must ban ICEs. But if you go down this route, then you can't make exceptions for remote areas and harsh climates. Why should you be allowed to buy an ICE car just because you happen to live in a remote area, while I should be forced to give up something I love if I live in a town with nice weather? It wouldn't be fair. And even if you managed to pass such a law, it would be in vain, because no manufacturer would continue producing ICE cars for a few people living in remote areas, after having being forced to invest billions in EVs for the rest of the market.
And hydrogen? That technology must still be developed. But who's going to develop it, if not auto manufacturers? But if auto manufacturers are literally forced to go "green" so extremely quickly, then they can't afford to invest extra billions in a new, unproven technology. Time is running out, fast. In automotive development fifteen years is like a week and a half. So they have no choice but to just take whatever happens to be available right now, however good or bad it may be, and to make do with it somehow.
I have just one amendment: automakers did not choose hydrogen not because it's not mature but because it's even worse compared to lithium-ion (that is already saddening when you compare it to petrol).

Anyway, give them time. Already the price of lithium, nickel and cobalt are through the roof. Just let them cooking.

Sponsored

baazooka

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6MT

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Why would anyone care that Ford has to pay their people 2 years salary when they axe them after a lifetime of service?
Because it is not Ford paying them. It is you and me when we buy a car or truck.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Ford does take care of it's employes, or at least they used to. When they shut down the Batavia transmission plant most got big checks. One person I know got 80K. He said some got more, some got less. It was based on time on the job.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Exactly how did this thread about Ford layoffs and there effect on engine quality (it doesnā€™t) become an energy bitchfest amongst our European brothers? :cwl: :crackup: :like:
Yeah this may be a worldā€™s record veer off, no doubt about it.

But itā€™s good to know someone is worrying about this kind of stuff while Iā€™m enjoying the 7500 rpm wail of an angry V-8.

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
Yeah this may be a worldā€™s record veer off, no doubt about it.

But itā€™s good to know someone is worrying about this kind of stuff while Iā€™m enjoying the 7500 rpm wail of an angry V-8.
a resident of america's attic tacitly ripped on our entire culture.

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Probably wouldn't want to take energy policy advice from them either, for that matter.
Meanwhile, in Russia, right beside my buddy in Finland, the Russians are burning off $10m in gas per day cause it isn't being sold to Germany now LOL

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec