V8 potential problems coming? [ADMIN WARNING: *** NO POLITICS ***]

FinitePrimus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
you want authoritarianism? you want govt controlling labor? that's what it gets you. death.
Don't believe everything you see on Fox news.

Canada is a great country. As for death, Canada has a higher life expectancy than the US too.
Lifestyle is actually quite good. So are labour laws that protect workers from corporate greed. Why would anyone care that Ford has to pay their people 2 years salary when they axe them after a lifetime of service?
Sponsored

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Now we are moving away from much more energy-dense fuels (oil, gas, nuclear) to less energy-dense and unreliable ones (wind, solar).
The last time in the history of man that we reversed our path of progress it was the dark ages.
about 11 hours per day have zero sunlight
if there are clouds sunlight is drastically reduced
solar cells have an extremely low efficiency rate

so yes, unreliable is accurate.
And by the way, you can't store the energy people think you can store, and lithium is a very bad answer to it (extremely low energy density, 4 year lifecycle, then mine and repeat). The better way we have to store energy today is pumped hydro (about 100 years and counting of service life), but you can't make it everywhere and it faces a fierce opposition from environmentalist. Oh, environmentalist.
You think too much in the old central structures.
Here in Germany, we can see quite clearly that the future belongs to a large extent to small-scale local energy generation. Of course, this may change again when fusion energy works on an industrial scale.

From real life I can report that a friend of mine has built a house in a residential area and is completely independent of the grid on his doorstep.
Electricity is generated with solar, so much that he can also charge his EVs (he is considering buying another EV so he can use them alternately as storage, is cheaper than another stationary battery storage), fill a battery storage and at peak times even feed into the grid (not worth it because of low compensation).
Heat is also generated with solar and stored in a large heat storage (water), in addition there is a small pellet heater if the solar heat is not enough.
Of course, the house has excellent thermal insulation, so it is cool in summer and requires little heating energy in winter.

It works, if you only want it, regardless of what the state does or Mr Putler (or any other despot) comes up with.

By the way, I'm not worried about freezing in the winter, even if the media is making a "panic" (the national gas storage is currently more than 81% full).

I agree that batteries with lithium are not the solution. Here at my doorstep, the transit train is powered by hydrogen, no longer in trial operation, but in regular operation.
Hydrogen is an excellent storage medium for naturally generated electricity.

Regarding hydroelectric power, this can also be done underground in closed mines.
It has a long tradition in my country, and was used in mining from the 16th century onward, but not to generate electricity, but to directly drive power machines.
There are even such old systems here in the Harz mountains that are nowadays used to generate electricity.

I think the ICE is a phase-out model, but it will be with us for a long time.
I won't live to see having to buy gasoline at the pharmacy (that's how it was with the first cars).
Whether the world goes down the drain in the meantime and gets rid of us humans bit by bit remains to be seen, but I hope I won't live to see it.

In the meantime, let's have fun with the fact that we still got a decent V8 to enjoy.
I don't see any problems coming up with it, and mine has almost reached the magic 10,000 miles, after which it should last forever.

PS: The Indian should have gone to Sweden, only money does not ensure quality of life, even if he knows that from India and it is probably the same in the USA.

PPS: I earn my money in the steel making industry, some may know how to classify this from an environmental point of view (CO₂ etc.)

Last edited:

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
You think too much in the old central structures.
Here in Germany, we can see quite clearly that the future belongs to a large extent to small-scale local energy generation. Of course, this may change again when fusion energy works on an industrial scale.

From real life I can report that a friend of mine has built a house in a residential area and is completely independent of the grid on his doorstep.
Electricity is generated with solar, so much that he can also charge his EVs (he is considering buying another EV so he can use them alternately as storage, is cheaper than another stationary battery storage), fill a battery storage and at peak times even feed into the grid (not worth it because of low compensation).
Heat is also generated with solar and stored in a large heat storage (water), in addition there is a small pellet heater if the solar heat is not enough.
Of course, the house has excellent thermal insulation, so it is cool in summer and requires little heating energy in winter.

It works, if you only want it, regardless of what the state does or Mr Putler (or any other despot) comes up with.

By the way, I'm not worried about freezing in the winter, even if the media is making a "panic" (the national gas storage is currently more than 81% full).

I agree that batteries with lithium are not the solution. Here at my doorstep, the transit train is powered by hydrogen, no longer in trial operation, but in regular operation.
Hydrogen is an excellent storage medium for naturally generated electricity.

Regarding hydroelectric power, this can also be done underground in closed mines.
It has a long tradition in my country, and was used in mining from the 16th century onward, but not to generate electricity, but to directly drive power machines.
There are even such old systems here in the Harz mountains that are nowadays used to generate electricity.

I think the ICE is a phase-out model, but it will be with us for a long time.
I won't live to see having to buy gasoline at the pharmacy (that's how it was with the first cars).
Whether the world goes down the drain in the meantime and gets rid of us humans bit by bit remains to be seen, but I hope I won't live to see it.

In the meantime, let's have fun with the fact that we still got a decent V8 to enjoy.
I don't see any problems coming up with it, and mine has almost reached the magic 10,000 miles, after which it should last forever.

PS: The Indian should have gone to Sweden, only money does not ensure quality of life, even if he knows that from India and it is probably the same in the USA.

PPS: I earn my money in the steel making industry, some may know how to classify this from an environmental point of view (CO₂ etc.)
Well, no, it's not that I see it from a traditional point of view, but rather from a more complete end-to-end point of view.
Residential energy is one small part of the picture.
Most of the energy you consume is not for keeping the lights on of a perfectly insulated and efficient house that consumes very little on its own. It's for food and goods you consume inside that perfectly insulated house (production, processing, transport...). If you can live without them good, you have solved the problem.

Hydrogen is a very weak and dangerous medium for transporting energy, while oil, gas and nuclear are energy itself.

While there are enormous efforts undergoing the "feel better" part of the equation (EVs, a little hydrogen here and there) eg. greenwashing there is little to none investment in what is really needed: massive nuclear power deployment, insulating as better as possible, shortening the supply chains to curb down emissions from inter-continental transports, to say a few.

But hey:
Nobody wants to talk nuclear
Nobody wants to tear down old houses, even if these are energy pits
Nobody wants to shorten supply chains because everybody wants a new pair of pants for 2€ every week.

Edit: and sorry, I don't take lessons from a country that shut down it's nuclear reactors because Frau Merkel was losing votes and has been for many years the herald of Russian gas in Europe (both Merkel and Scholtz speak fluent Russian, for the fellow Americans).
Sorry, but just no. We suffered enough in the past for/because of Germany, we should learn from our mistakes. Ask Greece for the recent past.

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
@luca1290
May I ask how well Italy has organized its nuclear waste storage?
Here is no solution for this yet.
In fact, the final storage of nuclear waste that does not originate from energy production is being recovered from unstable repositories at great expense.

Nuclear energy is, in my view, the greatest fraud on society that has existed here in Germany.
The profits have flowed to the companies and the risks are now being paid for by the taxpayer.
At the same time, they are trying to find a political solution to the technical problem of final disposal, where each federal state wants to have its extra sausage cooked.

Old houses can be renovated, you just have to do it.
I know from my family, instead of buying new windows and additionally blowing out the hollow walls, money is sunk somewhere else.

For decades, trucks have been driving through my area with hydrogen for technical purposes, which is transported from a chemical plant.
That chemical plant, where large quantities of hydrogen are in the process, is about 40 km away from me, I worked there for 5 years, also in the power plant, where hydrogen is used in gas turbines and boilers.
We have a hydrogen filling station here (for said train).
Hydrogen does not scare me.

Dealing with it is not easy, when something goes wrong it pops and everyone cries. But when the tears are dried and the crater is filled, nothing is left behind.
You can't say that about nuclear energy.
You can see how good the safety situation is with the French.
How many nuclear power plants are shut down there right now because there are problems?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

It works, for a handful of millionaires. Everything is possible when money is no object.
But the average German can't afford such a house - or any house for that matter.

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
My friends is very far from being a millionaire.
No one who builds a house here installs a conventional heating system.
All of them are normal families, what you might call middle class.
(ok, I know one, who has chosen gas and is probably annoyed now).

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
@luca1290
In fact, the final storage of nuclear waste that does not originate from energy production is being recovered from unstable repositories at great expense.

Nuclear energy is, in my view, the greatest fraud on society that has existed here in Germany.
The profits have flowed to the companies and the risks are now being paid for by the taxpayer.
At the same time, they are trying to find a political solution to the technical problem of final disposal, where each federal state wants to have its extra sausage cooked.

I know from my family, instead of buying new windows and additionally blowing out the hollow walls, money is sunk somewhere else.

For decades, trucks have been driving through my area with hydrogen for technical purposes, which is transported from a chemical plant.
That chemical plant, where large quantities of hydrogen are in the process, is about 40 km away from me, I worked there for 5 years, also in the power plant, where hydrogen is used in gas turbines and boilers.

Dealing with it is not easy, when something goes wrong it pops and everyone cries. But when the tears are dried and the crater is filled, nothing is left behind.
How many nuclear power plants are shut down there right now because there are problems?
There is nothing better than nuclear in every aspect.

The EV push will never reach primary transportation goals without it in the future. This is a fact.

Until we build hundreds of new nuclear plants, ICE will co-exist with EV for at least 30-50 years.

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
@luca1290

Nuclear waste is originated from many activities besides power production, and actual NPP can burn wastes other produces, but you need the whole process for it.
Nuclear does not scare me, as well does not hydrogen.

The point is that hydrogen, besides it's uses in the industrial estate in the last 100 years, it's useless as an energy vector (whereas oil/coal/gas/nuclear are energy themselves).
Being in Germany your "green" hydrogen is produced from methane by removing the carbon atom OR by electrolysis from some coal/gas plant.
You had been better if your train was a diesel one.

That is the whole point: you are scared from a technology you don't know and you don't like (nuclear) and at the same time you don't want to forfeit the commodities of live to live a frugal one. So it is the vast majority of the population.

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
@luca1290
Do you really think conventional nuclear energy is the future?

Germany, like Italy, has been using nuclear energy for decades now, but final storage is still not regulated.
In my eyes, this is not a sustainable business model.

Of course, the hydrogen train is not green at the moment (I didn't claim that anywhere). But it shows that hydrogen works as an energy storage medium instead of a battery.
It is a link in the chain to a hydrocarbon-free and thus CO2-neutral economy.
Regardless of whether the electricity is generated from wind, solar or nuclear power.

@Cory S
Nuclear energy has its advantages, without a doubt.
Especially if you want to address the topic of CO2.
But the issues like final storage and operational safety have to work, and that's definitely not the case here in Europe.

Personally, I hope that it will not take too long until fusion energy works on an industrial scale.
That would be the "clean" form of nuclear energy.
But that will take at least 30...40 years.

Sponsored

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I think nuclear fission is the energy of the future.
Fusion is a dream and has been 40 years apart for the last 50 years. When it will work on an industrial scale we will talk of it. I'm used to solving problems with things that are actually ready and usable.

I don't see nuclear power have safety issues in Europe, America or even China/India.
We had 1 accident that was surely catastrophic but we have to remind it happened in Soviet Union with a rector design nobody in the civilized world ever used because it was inherently unsafe (but cheap and good for making weapon grade plutonium).
Other accidents are as big as a normal industrial accident and did not have dire consequences for the whole globe. They were well contained and managed, given the circumstances.

I can't wrap my head around how environmentalists can overblow something as Three Mile Island happened 43 years ago and resulted in approximately 0 outside contamination and overlook how many sunken oil carries, spills, coal mine fires, besides actual CO2 production from all this industry.

Just to clarify my position: I'm an IT freelance consultant and for my professional career I sat on an active reactor and I wore protective clothes to go and see some General Electric reaction chambers used to irradiate drugs. Worked around particle accelerators, so yes, I'm not scared of this technology, I highly respect it and people who work around it.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Nuclear fusion was thought to be 30-40 years away 40 years ago. I wouldn't hold my breath. We may never see it.
Well, to be very fair, humanity hasn't really invested much time or money into really seeing if contained fusion is possible or not until fairly recently. Luckily some major projects are coming online in the next few years to test the important questions (ignition, containment, and finally energy harvesting). Ignition seems possible based on some recent developments, so I think containment is going to be the big one. We've been able to generate fusion reactions for a long time, but burning them slow at a small scale and without destroying everything around them is hard mode.

Regardless, I don't think fusion will be some panacea even if it does end up being possible. The capital costs to build a fusion plant, especially in the beginning, will be enormous. It will be a great achievement for sure, but economical? That remains to be seen. It won't really matter too much because the usefulness would outweigh its cost for certain applications, but I doubt it's going to help out much at a consumer level, at least not in my lifetime.

Ultimately we're too busy arguing about which technology will "take over" for gas, when in reality it's going to take everything in the bag working together to make something workable. For example, electric cars are great for city dwellers, but terrible for long distance. So, why not hydrogen to fill that deficiency? And then gas can stick around for remote areas and harsh climates, where it excels. Gasoline will always be coming out of distillation towers when we refine crude (which has too many uses to truly retire), so keeping it around at a smaller scale far into the future makes perfect sense.

Polski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marek
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP2 401A
Vehicle Showcase
Good luck to Germany, let's talk in a few years and see how that green energy works for you :)
Sponsored