Upgraded Cams

Kevin65469

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang Gt Premium 50th Year
Was wondering if there’s another post for this but I’m wanting to have a nice chop on my 2015 Mustang Gt. Would I have to get a custom cam for that or would the comp cams do enough to hear and feel it. Any suggestions of other cams as well? Thanks
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Alot of the chop you hear is from the tune, so any sort of aftermarket cam (even stock ones to some degree) can be made to chop. IMO it's better to spec the cams to your driving style rather than pure sound which can be adjusted to your liking after the fact.

Personally I would go with the L&M cams, they sell them as intake only or paired with the exhaust ones too.

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
Coming from the LS family chop is something we love but it has it down side.

Chop comes from the valve events of the exhaust and intake valve staying open for a split second. You get it in LS based cars with lower LSAs when you get into the 108-110 area. Also lobe size ramp speeds lift I mean there’s a lot that goes into chop in LS engines. These valve events get less and less at higher rpm’s, why these cams sometimes are slugs at lower rpm’s. Can it be done with these engines of course but at what cost.

Me I tend to like power down low because if you look most races you’ll get is a streetlight to streetlight so it would be better to get the power planted down low. With that said these cams tend to tax valve trains especially with their high loft rates.

Ford has optimized its valve train with the type of cams are best for these engines. Can you get custom cams for this chop? You can buy I’d advice against it in these engines.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
You have to tune for custom cams. if all you want is chop and you’re tuning anyway then might as well leave the stock cams and do a ghost cam tune. I made my own. It got old after 1 day so inout the idle back stock.

Sponsored

SteveB17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT

gcadorette13

PoopStang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
You will have to lock the cams out to get any sort of overlap. Cam tune can get you the sound you want tho.

LxMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
Vehicle Showcase
If all you want is chop get a ghost cam tune... Unless you can do the work yourself it'll cost over $2k...

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
N/A stage 3 comp cams give my car a slight chop at idle. You need a ghost cam tune for it to have a noticeable chop.

You could get custom cams and lockout the vct. But imo there is not much of a point in doing that especially for a street car as you will lose a ton of hp and torque in everything but 6.5k+rpm. Like on the stock engine vct adds like 100hp on the low end...

There are people who will make you custom more aggressive cams that could work with the vct. Don't know how much effect it will have on the chop sound tho.

Sponsored

gcadorette13

PoopStang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
N/A stage 3 comp cams give my car a slight chop at idle. You need a ghost cam tune for it to have a noticeable chop.

You could get custom cams and lockout the vct. But imo there is not much of a point in doing that especially for a street car as you will lose a ton of hp and torque in everything but 6.5k+rpm. Like on the stock engine vct adds like 100hp on the low end...

There are people who will make you custom more aggressive cams that could work with the vct. Don't know how much effect it will have on the chop sound tho.
I noticed the same thing. I feel like I notice it more on 93 vs when it's on E85. Kinda weird

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt

Sounds good! If I could get by with a ghost cam tune on my Bullitt I would run one over actual cams. The only problem is, I have catted LTHs. It’s not worth burning up and washing out the cats though.

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
Sounds good! If I could get by with a ghost cam tune on my Bullitt I would run one over actual cams. The only problem is, I have catted LTHs. It’s not worth burning up and washing out the cats though.
Why would that happen? Not a facetious question, I've never heard this.

Cams on a coyote are abput the single biggest waste of money anyone can do. 12-1500 hp coyotes, still run oe ground cams. If you lockout to get chop, your drivability suffers and so does your powerband. Part of what makes a coyote so great is, variable cam timing.

Lots of people think an ls will out pull a coyote, and thats fair. Centri blower pushing 10lbs on both ls and coyote the coyote will put out more power and drive better.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Why would that happen? Not a facetious question, I've never heard this.

Cams on a coyote are abput the single biggest waste of money anyone can do. 12-1500 hp coyotes, still run oe ground cams. If you lockout to get chop, your drivability suffers and so does your powerband. Part of what makes a coyote so great is, variable cam timing.

Lots of people think an ls will out pull a coyote, and thats fair. Centri blower pushing 10lbs on both ls and coyote the coyote will put out more power and drive better.
This is what American Muscle had to say about Ghost Cam Tunes.

“In order to maintain a proper idle and prevent stalling, more fuel needs to be used during idle than our normal Bama tunes or stock tune. This causes a lot of unburnt fuel to exist through the exhaust, which will start to clog any type of catalytic converter in the exhaust. Eventually, the cat will become completely clogged or burn out. This is why we only offer the Bama cam tune with O/R mid-pipes.”

I personally ran a Bama Ghost Cam Tune on my 2013 GT and man was the raw and unburned fuel smell super strong! It sounded really good, but drivability sucked when trying to take off from a stop (car would often die). I was catless with LTHs on that car too, so I can imagine there being some truth to it being bad for cats. If I could run one for certain and know there wouldn’t be a risk of damaging my cats on the Bullitt, I would over actual cams though. I’m sure the takeoff issue that I had back in 2013 has probably been perfected to be non existent by now.

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
This is what American Muscle had to say about Ghost Cam Tunes.

“In order to maintain a proper idle and prevent stalling, more fuel needs to be used during idle than our normal Bama tunes or stock tune. This causes a lot of unburnt fuel to exist through the exhaust, which will start to clog any type of catalytic converter in the exhaust. Eventually, the cat will become completely clogged or burn out. This is why we only offer the Bama cam tune with O/R mid-pipes.”

I personally ran a Bama Ghost Cam Tune on my 2013 GT and man was the raw and unburned fuel smell super strong! It sounded really good, but drivability sucked when trying to take off from a stop (car would often die). I was catless with LTHs on that car too, so I can imagine there being some truth to it being bad for cats. If I could run one for certain and know there wouldn’t be a risk of damaging my cats on the Bullitt, I would over actual cams though. I’m sure the takeoff issue that I had back in 2013 has probably been perfected to be non existent by now.
I'm sure driveability with ghost cams would suck just like regular chopping cams need a bit more finesse in parking lots etc.

I haven't messed with a ghost cam, I've been told Lund has it dialed in, but who knows.

Thanks for posting that up
Sponsored