Sponsored

Updated pistons and ring packs for MY18+

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Hmm, that does help. And it just goes to show that maybe ignorance is bliss!

So turn up the radio (or the exhaust valves) and drive on. :sunglasses:
I’ve gotten reliable information from 2 different sources that there has been some silent but very big changes to the rotating assembly of the voodoo motor starting with MY18.

I’m trying to track down more info as far as build dates etc would be concerned but may never narrow it all the way down. Depends on how forthcoming I can get these sources to be and if they will allow me to publicly name sources.

The changes I’ve been told are to the pistons and ring packs.

The pistons have been modified to tighten up the piston to wall clearance to alleviate the slap that has been a known issue that even ford issued a TSB about. I myself have noticed on my car that there is very little slap that you would have to put your head in the wheel well to hear and if dissipates very quickly. With forged pistons there will always be some movement to cold pistons but it’s negligible on my car. Not sure if any other 18 owners can chime in. My build date is 6/18.

The second change is to the piston ring pack. They switched to steel rings with tighter clearances to hopefully alleviate oil consumption issues that have haunted the voodoo motor.

Both of the changes are good things for the motor as it stands N/A but not so much for boost ‍

There was also mention of water jacket modifications but nothing reliable

Like I said I got this from 2 very reliable sources with access to engineers from ford. Hoping to get more info in the near future.

This also fits ford MO of silently making changes to known issues. So take that as you like
Sounds like you sources are good to go since it's becoming more widely accepted and known that the 18 GT350/R got revised pistons and rings at some point during production. It would sure be nice to know when that change was implemented
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Your engine is fairly tight when new. As clearances increase, however small, you may begin to hear forged pistons at work where you didn't before.

Last edited:

Romvarif

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frigyes
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350 (2017)
I’ve gotten reliable information from 2 different sources that there has been some silent but very big changes to the rotating assembly of the voodoo motor starting with MY18.

I’m trying to track down more info as far as build dates etc would be concerned but may never narrow it all the way down. Depends on how forthcoming I can get these sources to be and if they will allow me to publicly name sources.

The changes I’ve been told are to the pistons and ring packs.

The pistons have been modified to tighten up the piston to wall clearance to alleviate the slap that has been a known issue that even ford issued a TSB about. I myself have noticed on my car that there is very little slap that you would have to put your head in the wheel well to hear and if dissipates very quickly. With forged pistons there will always be some movement to cold pistons but it’s negligible on my car. Not sure if any other 18 owners can chime in. My build date is 6/18.

The second change is to the piston ring pack. They switched to steel rings with tighter clearances to hopefully alleviate oil consumption issues that have haunted the voodoo motor.

Both of the changes are good things for the motor as it stands N/A but not so much for boost ‍

There was also mention of water jacket modifications but nothing reliable

Like I said I got this from 2 very reliable sources with access to engineers from ford. Hoping to get more info in the near future.

This also fits ford MO of silently making changes to known issues. So take that as you like
Hi, do you have any update or news if the pistons and the rings were really modified in gen2 voodoo engines?

I just bought a 2017 Shelby GT350, shipped it to Europe and turned out that she its 1 quart every 300 miles. The car is not under warranty and FORD wants to do nothing with it. I would like to know if changing the piston and the rings would help me or only the ring should be changed if no modifications were made on the pistons. Any recommendation? PCV valve was changed, did help a bit but not much. Thanks a lot!

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Hi, do you have any update or news if the pistons and the rings were really modified in gen2 voodoo engines?

I just bought a 2017 Shelby GT350, shipped it to Europe and turned out that she its 1 quart every 300 miles. The car is not under warranty and FORD wants to do nothing with it. I would like to know if changing the piston and the rings would help me or only the ring should be changed if no modifications were made on the pistons. Any recommendation? PCV valve was changed, did help a bit but not much. Thanks a lot!
The Gen 2 had the same Piston/Rings as the 2018 I believe. There were other changes

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The Gen 2 had the same Piston/Rings as the 2018 I believe. There were other changes
It's really hard to say - I can't remember how many times I posted that "there is no Gen 2". There's Gen 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, ... 1.9, 2.0, 2.1... etc. There were so many running changes that which parts are in which production run is pretty hard to know. And not every running change was to "improve performance". Many were just changes in parts suppliers or cost reductions or some other mundane reason. Since the engine performance specs never changed from 2015 to 2020, the notion that later engines performed better is a bit hard to defend. I had quite a chuckle about the 2020 engine with the GT500 block. It made the Voodoo heavier, and that's about it. In the end, the most reliable Voodoo's were the 2015-16 engines and the late 2019-2020 engines. The ones in the middle had a noticeable failure rate, but even then it wasn't that high but it was heavily amplified by social media. I'm just glad that the C8 Z06 has an FPC so the click-stream media folks can get on with slagging it and leave the Voodoo alone.

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I personally really enjoyed the shift in mentality between the two generations! Pre “gen 2”, the thought of an engine replacement, non matching numbers car, and what that’ll do to my resale value was the talk of nightmares. Please, take my first born! Heck, take my wife and all my children, but please don’t take my factory engine.

And now that there’s a “gen 2”, I’ve literally heard of peeps hoping and attempting to blow an engine so they can get one installed under warranty. It’s been quite comical.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
It's really hard to say - I can't remember how many times I posted that "there is no Gen 2". There's Gen 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, ... 1.9, 2.0, 2.1... etc. There were so many running changes that which parts are in which production run is pretty hard to know. And not every running change was to "improve performance". Many were just changes in parts suppliers or cost reductions or some other mundane reason. Since the engine performance specs never changed from 2015 to 2020, the notion that later engines performed better is a bit hard to defend. I had quite a chuckle about the 2020 engine with the GT500 block. It made the Voodoo heavier, and that's about it. In the end, the most reliable Voodoo's were the 2015-16 engines and the late 2019-2020 engines. The ones in the middle had a noticeable failure rate, but even then it wasn't that high but it was heavily amplified by social media. I'm just glad that the C8 Z06 has an FPC so the click-stream media folks can get on with slagging it and leave the Voodoo alone.
Well said except there is a Gen 2 per Ford. But the rest is spot on. Each year there were changes made to improve to Voodoo. The major change was in 19 and hence the Gen 2 tag, The GT500 block does allow for longer head studs although I'm not sure they used them. There is also changes to the cylinder head. Nothing to increase performance but reliability. And 19/20 were the only years the Base model received the same engine as the R. But, again, nothing that would make it faster than the earlier versions

Stormtroopin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Mach 1 on order; ‘18 Mustang GT (sold)
In the end, the most reliable Voodoo's were the 2015-16 engines and the late 2019-2020 engines. The ones in the middle had a noticeable failure rate, but even then it wasn't that high but it was heavily amplified by social media.
I know this is completely anecdotal but issue/replacement threads do seem to hint at a bit of truth regarding which MY engines are most reliable. I've noticed a lot of late 2016 build, 2017, & 2018 owners with engine replacements. I really wish there was decent owner reported data to hint at some conclusion regarding this sentiment.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I know this is completely anecdotal but issue/replacement threads do seem to hint at a bit of truth regarding which MY engines are most reliable. I've noticed a lot of late 2016 build, 2017, & 2018 owners with engine replacements. I really wish there was decent owner reported data to hint at some conclusion regarding this sentiment.
There was a website that one of the owners put up with stats on engine failures derived from forum posts and Youtube and other social media. He put a lot of work into it and included stats about the types of failures and so on. It's gone now, but that's where I got my sense of the numbers from. 2017 was the worst year, 2018 was better, and the early engines and the late engines were more or less on par.

My pet theory about the early and late engines is that the early 2015/16 engines were built as originally designed by FP engineers when the car was homologated and stress tested. That is, they hadn't had any supplier changes or "value engineering" to bring costs down. At the end of the GT350 run, once again there would have been fresh input from FP engineers developing GT500. It's just a theory, but hey, at least it's not a conspiracy theory.

Stormtroopin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Mach 1 on order; ‘18 Mustang GT (sold)
There was a website that one of the owners put up with stats on engine failures derived from forum posts and Youtube and other social media. He put a lot of work into it and included stats about the types of failures and so on. It's gone now, but that's where I got my sense of the numbers from. 2017 was the worst year, 2018 was better, and the early engines and the late engines were more or less on par.

My pet theory about the early and late engines is that the early 2015/16 engines were built as originally designed by FP engineers when the car was homologated and stress tested. That is, they hadn't had any supplier changes or "value engineering" to bring costs down. At the end of the GT350 run, once again there would have been fresh input from FP engineers developing GT500. It's just a theory, but hey, at least it's not a conspiracy theory.
Interesting, I wasn't aware of said website. I'm inclined to believe your assessment is accurate given nobody has spent the time or effort to litmus test his results. As for your pet theory, it feels like that could have some validity given the business importance of successful product launches. In a way it somewhat counteracts the whole "new model = stay away" mantra. Either way, your pet theory may be a good guiding principle to those in the market as prices fall.

Sponsored

Romvarif

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frigyes
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350 (2017)
Hi All,
I made a decision and I am refurbishing (with a friend how builds and repairs racing engines) my Voodoo gen 1 engine due to the insane oil consumption (1 Qrt in 300 miles). After taking the engine apart there were 3 cylinders where there was oil leak big time and the piston rings material was quite soft. I guess she got some hard push when was young.

QUESTION TO YOU:
Can anyone send me a Ford Engine Bolt Torque Chart for the 5.2L Voodoo engine that includes how to torque the cylinder head bolts and the connecting rod bolts? A general motor assembly / repair / service manual that includes such info would be great. I was not able to locate any doc on the net about this only for any other Ford engines, like this one dose not include 315 that is the Voodoo: http://mainemustang.com/mustang-info/ford-engine-bolt-torque-chart

Thanks a lot!

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Hi All,
I made a decision and I am refurbishing (with a friend how builds and repairs racing engines) my Voodoo gen 1 engine due to the insane oil consumption (1 Qrt in 300 miles). After taking the engine apart there were 3 cylinders where there was oil leak big time and the piston rings material was quite soft. I guess she got some hard push when was young.

QUESTION TO YOU:
Can anyone send me a Ford Engine Bolt Torque Chart for the 5.2L Voodoo engine that includes how to torque the cylinder head bolts and the connecting rod bolts? A general motor assembly / repair / service manual that includes such info would be great. I was not able to locate any doc on the net about this only for any other Ford engines, like this one dose not include 315 that is the Voodoo: http://mainemustang.com/mustang-info/ford-engine-bolt-torque-chart

Thanks a lot!
This is what you're looking for: https://www.motorcraftservice.com/Home/Pricing

The online manual is the same as the "Oasis" system that Ford dealers use - it's complete and gives you information for your car based on VIN.

Romvarif

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frigyes
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350 (2017)
Hi All,

QUESTION TO YOU:

Thanks a lot!
Hi All,

QUESTION TO YOU:

Thanks a lot!
Dear All,

Update on solving significant oil consumption.

To recap: I bought a 2017 Shelby GT350, shipped it to Europe and turned out that she its 1 quart oil every 300 miles.

I bought new piston rings. It turned out that it is not just made of another material but it is also larger in 2 dimensions, e.g. 0,2mm thicker so it did not fit the original 2017 pistons therefore I had to buy new ones.

After the piston and piston ring change I broke the engine in and after 1000 miles there is no oil consumption at all.

Whoever is facing the oil consumption issue, I suggest to change the piston and the rings. It is not cheap, around 4000 USD for the parts, plus the service cost however it worth it. Now it runs more evenly.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
First I've heard of a self-service on this. Pretty cool. Did that include labor I assume?

Edit - Also would be interesting to see the old and new piston side by side - do you happen to have pictures?

Romvarif

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frigyes
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350 (2017)
First I've heard of a self-service on this. Pretty cool. Did that include labor I assume?

Edit - Also would be interesting to see the old and new piston side by side - do you happen to have pictures?
Unfortunately I do not have the pic but I will ask my mechanic to take some, he must have the old pistons. The ring I have but that is not so interesing to look at.

About the cost... 4k is only for the parts, labor comes on top.
Sponsored