Sponsored

Up the exhaust a notch (or 2)

rocknstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium A6
My GT is my DD and I really love to listen to music (already upgraded the sound system). I've been running the Borla by FP Touring axle backs for almost a year. I want to up the exhaust volume just a notch or 2.

I'm leaning toward swapping out the Touring ABs for the Stinger S Types.

How big or small of a jump is that? Considering I'm keeping everything else exhaust related stock.

Thanks!
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
That's a fairly small jump, one I'm not sure would give you what you want.

Going to the ATAK AB or Roush AB would be a modest jump if keeping the resonator in place. I'd personally go X or H pipe with your AB rather than go to a louder AB.

OP
OP

rocknstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. I'm tempted to try an H pipe. I guess worst case is I get drone and I can swap back in the suitcase. It's just metal right? Haha.

But drone is my big concern. I absolutely can not tolerate any. Which is why I went Borla in the first place.

OP
OP

rocknstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh and BTW - I know I'm walking a fine line. I don't want the exhaust to interfere with the music but I want to be able to turn the music down and enjoy the exhaust note too.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT

Going to the ATAK AB or Roush AB would be a modest jump if keeping the resonator in place. I'd personally go X or H pipe with your AB rather than go to a louder AB.
I agree with Bmac. The other pro to deleting the resonator is you’ll likely free up a little exhaust flow using an X or an H pipe. Not a lot, but many people including me have reported some minor gains. It may get you a couple more ponies.

I prefer the more exotic sound of the X pipe but a lot people like the H pipe also for a deeper rumbling sound.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I'm tempted to try an H pipe. I guess worst case is I get drone and I can swap back in the suitcase. It's just metal right? Haha.

But drone is my big concern. I absolutely can not tolerate any. Which is why I went Borla in the first place.
You shouldn't have much if any. I've had ample time in cars with Borla S-type catback and FP by Borla Sport catback. Neither had drone and they sound great w/o being obnoxious. There is constant tone at highway cruise, but it's not resonance (drone). The only thing that's dead quiet at cruise is Corsa (it's quieter than stock until you downshift to get on it).

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
H pipe is your best bet. It was perfect on my 1st setup before longtubes (SLP LM2's).

OP
OP

rocknstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the input. Need to mull this over a bit.

NYDP77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Mustang Stage 3
Vehicle Showcase
These questions are difficult to answer. I can say that I installed the FP Touring with x-pipe. It was too loud for my (wife's) tastes. I recently installed the Borla resonator in place of the x-pipe. It lowers the db significantly but louder than stock. I think an h-pipe or x-pipe would definitely interfere with enjoying music. I've attached a sound clip of the Touring catback with the Borla resonator.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
I agree with BmacIL. I have the one-step-up FP by Borla Touring system from you; it included the X-pipe, which deletes the 35-pound factor suitcase resonator and replaces it with an x-pipe. At cruising speeds in 6th it's pretty tame but at 4K or above it is LOUD and ANGRY. IMO, I've got the best of both worlds.

I made a video with some well-recorded-sound comparing the two. IMHO, it would benefit you to watch/listen. Make sure you're either using headphone or listening through decent speakers and not your phone. ;)
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...d-performance-by-borla-touring-catback.81241/

Sponsored

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Unless you're doing a ton of stop n' go in traffic or dicking around where the RPMs and exhaust are going to drown out your music, X or H pipe on it and be done. I'd do that first and then look at different axle-backs than the other-way around. Even with an X or an H once you hit cruising RPM it's not really that much different from stock inside the car.

Last edited:

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
A buddy at work also has a 17GT. He put some type of axle-back mufflers on his and kept the stock resonator. To me, his car is louder than stock but has the exact same tone. Hard to explain. The catback FP by Borla touring I put on with the included x-pipe fundamentally changed the sound of the exhaust for the better. The car sounds and FEELS different than stock. It also scares the crap out of sleeping drivers when I pass them on the highway at 5K rpm. :muscle:

OP
OP

rocknstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unless you're doing a ton of stop n' go in traffic or dicking around where the RPMs and exhaust are going to drown our your music, X or H pipe on it and be done. I'd do that first and then look at different axle-backs than the other-way around. Even with an X or an H once you hit cruising RPM it's not really that much different from stock inside the car.
That's a really good point. I rarely see the highway. 90% of my driving is on surface streets so there is quite a bit of accel and decel.

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
Considering how cheap X/H pipes are Id go that route forsure!

If you dont like it change it to something else.

At the very least Id try that 1st.

I loved my X pipe and Roush Axle back setup on my 2016. However keep the stock manifolds and cats with that setup!!

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
I’m loving my Solo Performace exhaust. Stock resonator is replaced by a straight through X pipe muffler with two adjustable Helholtz resonators in place of the factory mufflers.

Quiet while cruising, with a deep angry yet “smooth” exhaust tone under mild acceleration, and a machine gun fury when WOT.

I have received countless compliments on the exhaust.
Sponsored