Sponsored

Comparision vid: 2017 GT Stock Exhaust vs. Ford Performance by Borla Touring Catback

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Hi all,

Here is the exact exhaust I purchased and installed:
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-5200-M8TB

The video is 12+ minutes long. For those who want to cut to the chase: First 5:30 of the video is the stock exhaust. After that is the Borla.

This video has been two months and 2,300 miles in the making. Bought my 2017 GT back in Feb and immediately wanted a better exhaust note. But what's "better?" As I found out, that's pretty subjective, and that's what led me on a long, S550 aftermarket exhaust video watching spree. One guy's "killer exhaust" sounded like an open pipe in a tunnel to me. Another sounded like bubble wrap being popped inside a bathroom. Audio quality has a lot to do with this, so I attempted to make this video with quality equipment, under semi-controlled conditions.

Here's the setup:

The SPL was measured with a USB miniDSP UMIK1 into an HP laptop. The mic was exactly 6 feet from the rear bumper, centered on the car, both before and after. UMIK's come with a calibration file that you load into the measurement software (REW, below). The mic was calibrated using a 90db 1KHz test tone played over my PC's speakers, which are KRK studio monitors. https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-1

Mic was placed exactly 6 feet away from the rear bumper each time, and pointed at the same mark (the license plate).

"Test Chamber" was my garage, with the door open so I didn't die from carbon monoxide poisoning.

SPL measurements done with REW, which is typically used for EQing/measuring home theaters. https://www.roomeqwizard.com/

The "after" part of the video is a very good representation of what the Borla Touring is like once it's broken-in. The after-video shows the exhaust as it is today. I actually have 2 months/2,300 miles on the Borla since installing it. It's as broken-in as it's going to get at this point.

The video you see and sound you hear was recorded with a JVC HM-170U recording 1080P and a Rode NTG1 shotgun mic.

And here's the video in all it's undedited, unpolished glory. I suggest a decent pair of headphones if you don't have decent speakers for your computer if you really want to hear what things sound like:
[ame]

Some interesting numbers for you:

STOCK EXHAUST
Idle: 85db
Throttle Blip: 88db
2K rpm: 77db
3K rpm: 80db
4K rpm: 87db
Revs to around 5K rpm: 92 db

BORLA TOURING CATBACK
Idle: 82db
Throttle Blip: 97db
2K rpm: 92db
3K rpm: 93db
4K rpm: 96db
Revs to around 6K rpm: 105db+

Keep in mind this was recorded in a semi-closed space, my 3-car garage with the 2-door part's door wide open. A truer SPL measurement would be done outside, in a space like a football field. While my experiment is inherently flawed b/c of the garage aspect, where it has some good points is that the measurement equipment is decent and the test was repeated with the same controls. Same equipment, same space, same mic distance, etc.

It's interesting that the stock exhaust is actually louder at idle than at 2k rpm. Not sure how that happens, but the video doesn't lie. The stock resonator/mufflers do a damn good job of keeping the sound very tame.

With the Borla Touring, there is almost zero drone below 1800rpm. Problem is that in 6th gear at 80mph, which is my daily commute, rpm is about 2200 or so, and there's a little drone. I covered my entire trunk area in Dynamat Xtreme (thread on these forums in the Infotainment section) and that killed most of the drone. The rest I drown out with the radio or the loud pedal. I'm very sensitive to drone. "What's "sensitive" mean?" Good question. Again, very subjective.

I'm very happy with the Borla Touring. It was easy to install, the quality of parts and fitment is first-rate and it's exactly what I wanted. At idle and under about 1800rpm, it's pretty docile. When you put your foot in it, it is LOUD, make no mistake about that. 2nd-3rd gear blasts to 70mph up highway entrance ramps lets everyone within a 1/4 mile know you're coming. But once you're at 70mph in 6th, it's very close to stock...a bit louder but close enough.

I've never used any other aftermarket exhaust, so I've nothing to say about them. I hope this helps someone looking at the Borla Touring catback for their S550.
Sponsored

Last edited:

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Scientific Approach Instead of Opinion

The data does not lie! Here is objective evidence to base a purchase decision on.

Very well done!

Thanks!

CVCashmere

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
I wish more videos were done like this, very nice and a good baseline. I know db isnt everything but it helps people out a lot.

since you have the equipment are you able to capture the sound or what you describe as the drone in the car? An how would you say it is overall? A lot of the rasp i hear in the other videos seem to not be there and it sounds bigger and slightly deeper. Maybe this is from it reflecting a little in the garage? I doo hear that there isnt the deep lope some exhausts give it though unless that is just not present in the video.

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Thanks, @Souldriver & @CVCashmere . I really tried to keep it simple and factual. The web vendors have great vids, but they just want to sell stuff, so every exhaust, nut and bolt is "awesome the best the loudest the quietest the best looking the least bright the brightest"...and you get the idea.

There's a good amount of vids out there with good audio. Clear sound, easily heard, etc. But as compared to what? That was the problem I had with those vids. Some exhaust sounds recorded well on an empty service road somewhere...sounds great but would I think it's loud? Muted? Raspy? The only real measuring stick is decibels. If you have that, then you can add in the subjective pieces. I.E. my "raspy" is your "awesome".

That's some of the stuff bouncing around in my head...glad you guys found the video helpful. I know it could've been better with a script in my hand, but I set up the camera and laptop and winged it. Sometimes you just need to get it done, you know?

I can tell you that actually driving on the highway at 60-70-80mph, you have the added tire noise (considerable IMO with 35 profile tires) as well as the noise from the vehicles around you. When the car is outdoors in an open area and very warmed up, idling produces a muted, deep thrum if you're standing within about 20 feet from the rear of the car. Moving to the sides or front of the car, you hear the engine ticking but no exhaust. It's sort of weird. At the same warmed up state, inside the car at idle it's almost silent.

Best summary I can give of my car with this exhaust is that from the inside, under 1800 rpm, it sounds like stock. Between 1800 and about 2200-2300rpm you have a muted drone inside. Above that rpm drone goes away, but the "damn that's loud!" factor goes up exponentially the more you put your foot in it. That aspect of this exhaust, I really like. Cruising around town from stoplight to stoplight under 60mph, nobody would really know you've got an aftermarket exhaust unless you wanted them to know. You know....you can go from 0-50 with 3-4 shifts...or just 2 shifts. :D

As stated in the OP, I've never had any other aftermarket exhaust on this car, so I don't have anything else but stock to compare to. If I was you guys (and I was before I bought this exhaust) one of my top questions would be "Would you buy it again?" I would definitely get this Borla Touring catback again. For me, it ticks all the boxes.

Last edited:

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
This type of high quality video and sound recording is exactly what I was waiting for.
The Borla Touring cat back will be the exhaust system for my '16 GT.
Thanks so much for your time and effort.
Outstanding job!!

Sponsored

bodam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Auto
You explain the Borla exactly how it is....quiet under 1,800....drone at 2,000....loud in cabin while cruising above 2,000

Very good data.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
I went from Borla Touring with the resonator to an x pipe making it an s type. Touring was way to quiet for me. Since i had one of the very first assembly units, they didn't come with the drain holes either. So i had to drill quarter inch diameter holes underneath the mufflers.

bodam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Auto
It's amazing the range of opinions on exhaust. Some think one is quiet, some think its loud. Some hear no drone, while some go crazy with headaches, lol

Shows you just how subjective it can be

david borla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Thanks, @Souldriver & @CVCashmere . I really tried to keep it simple and factual. The web vendors have great vids, but they just want to sell stuff, so every exhaust, nut and bolt is "awesome the best the loudest the quietest the best looking the least bright the brightest"...and you get the idea.

There's a good amount of vids out there with good audio. Clear sound, easily heard, etc. But as compared to what? That was the problem I had with those vids. Some exhaust sounds recorded well on an empty service road somewhere...sounds great but would I think it's loud? Muted? Raspy? The only real measuring stick is decibels. If you have that, then you can add in the subjective pieces. I.E. my "raspy" is your "awesome".

That's some of the stuff bouncing around in my head...glad you guys found the video helpful. I know it could've been better with a script in my hand, but I set up the camera and laptop and winged it. Sometimes you just need to get it done, you know?

I can tell you that actually driving on the highway at 60-70-80mph, you have the added tire noise (considerable IMO with 35 profile tires) as well as the noise from the vehicles around you. When the car is outdoors in an open area and very warmed up, idling produces a muted, deep thrum if you're standing within about 20 feet from the rear of the car. Moving to the sides or front of the car, you hear the engine ticking but no exhaust. It's sort of weird. At the same warmed up state, inside the car at idle it's almost silent.

Best summary I can give of my car with this exhaust is that from the inside, under 1800 rpm, it sounds like stock. Between 1800 and about 2200-2300rpm you have a muted drone inside. Above that rpm drone goes away, but the "damn that's loud!" factor goes up exponentially the more you put your foot in it. That aspect of this exhaust, I really like. Cruising around town from stoplight to stoplight under 60mph, nobody would really know you've got an aftermarket exhaust unless you wanted them to know. You know....you can go from 0-50 with 3-4 shifts...or just 2 shifts. :D

As stated in the OP, I've never had any other aftermarket exhaust on this car, so I don't have anything else but stock to compare to. If I was you guys (and I was before I bought this exhaust) one of my top questions would be "Would you buy it again?" I would definitely get this Borla Touring catback again. For me, it ticks all the boxes.
Thanks for this.

There should be zero drone anywhere, none, zilch.

Please contact me at [email protected] so we can resolve this.

If you hear even a "muted drone" something is not right and we need to fix it.

Thanks again

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
I wish all companies would send you their exhausts to test. Besides the time and work you would need to put in it would make for a great baseline.

Sponsored

bodam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Auto
Bora has the best customer service hands down...

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
This type of high quality video and sound recording is exactly what I was waiting for.
The Borla Touring cat back will be the exhaust system for my '16 GT.
Thanks so much for your time and effort.
Outstanding job!!
Regrettably, I gave kudos for this misleading video before watching it:frusty:

The OP title header states the system installed and reviewed is the Borla Touring cat back, when in fact it is the Ford Performance Touring cat back by Borla.

These are two different systems with each having it's distinctive sound and components.
The FP by Borla catback has an x-pipe while the Borla Touring cat back has a resonated h-pipe.

The true Borla Touring has a much smoother and milder sound and volume.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Regrettably, I gave kudos for this misleading video before watching it:frusty:

The OP title header states the system installed and reviewed is the Borla Touring cat back, when in fact it is the Ford Performance Touring cat back by Borla.

These are two different systems with each having it's distinctive sound and components.
The FP by Borla catback has an x-pipe while the Borla Touring cat back has a resonated h-pipe.

The true Borla Touring has a much smoother and milder sound and volume.
Add the Borla X-pipe to yours and you will have the S-type catback, which sounds much more similar to the above (though a tad louder even). S-type is my 2nd fav system out there. Amazing sound.

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
Add the Borla X-pipe to yours and you will have the S-type catback, which sounds much more similar to the above (though a tad louder even). S-type is my 2nd fav system out there. Amazing sound.
to be clear the mufflers for the FR by Borla, and the regular Borla are different. And this is independent of the mid pipe or reso being run.

Also at EJS2016 how do you know which one is which from the video alone?

Edit: because his sig under it all says it.

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Though I mention the exhaust by name several times, and I think I do say "Borla Touring" and the thread title says that....I do say in the first part of the video, specifically, "Ford performance by Borla catback." I had no intentions of being misleading. I paid retail price for my exhaust kit from an online dealer and I got what I got. I had NO idea there actually was a "Borla Touring" catback in addition to the "Ford Performance by Borla Touring catback" nor did I know they had different parts.

For the record, here is what I bought: https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-5200-M8SB

My system looks exactly like what is pictured in the link above, and came in a Ford Performance box. I will try to change the thread title to ensure no misunderstanding.
Sponsored