Sponsored

OEM-ish Active Exhaust - All done! Mini write up pg 2

Synyster06Gates

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Has anyone managed to make this happen? I'm not looking for anything like the Roush kit that uses their big ugly knob/plate (and I just want open/closed). It doesn't need to be exactly like the GT350, but having a simple switch would be ideal. I've already got the GT350 catback, just need to see if it's worth it to get the motors and go ahead with the project.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
Awe makes ones that uses a key fob to close of the H in their midpipe.

Besides that you can see if ford makes the ones on the 18 retrofitted for earlier models.

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Performance Package
These threads keep coming up, I don't know why there aren't more vendors doing it! I have been wanting dual-mode exhaust for a while, everything except Roush seems to still sound pretty loud in quiet mode, and Roush is just too expensive, not to mention I love the look of my Premium rear valance.
I keep thinking about getting cut outs, and having them welded in after the resonator, before the mufflers, and routing to a small glasspack-style or similar shorty muffler with turn downs, all shoved in right next to the OEM mufflers.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Because the cost of those systems pretty much removes 90% of the market away from them. Most people aren't interested in paying $1,600-$2,000+ for a catback exhaust system. It's not worth their time to create something such a small market is only interested in.

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
Because the cost of those systems pretty much removes 90% of the market away from them. Most people aren't interested in paying $1,600-$2,000+ for a catback exhaust system. It's not worth their time to create something such a small market is only interested in.
Except it doesn't have to be that prices, since XForce sells their Varex catback in the $1,300 range, which is basically the same as the top end exhausts from Corsa or AWE.

Only problem with the Varex catback currently is that it comes with a resonated midpipe so it's too quiet for most people.

Word is that sometime this year a new version is coming out that will address those concerns though :thumbsup:

Sponsored

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Except it doesn't have to be that prices, since XForce sells their Varex catback in the $1,300 range, which is basically the same as the top end exhausts from Corsa or AWE.

Only problem with the Varex catback currently is that it comes with a resonated midpipe so it's too quiet for most people.

Word is that sometime this year a new version is coming out that will address those concerns though :thumbsup:
Exactly! And Varex is even an SS 3" system. Imagine how much cheaper it could be as a 2.5", aluminzed, axle back. Varex also has a fully active mode with smartphone customization, just like Roush, except for less. I just don't personally like the sound of the varex system- my taste is more along the lines of Corsa's.

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
My car came with the active exhaust from the factory.:shrug::)

OP
OP

Synyster06Gates

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
So the Ford Performance kit that comes with the active exhaust looks MUCH easier...

Anyone know how I could get my hands on the wire harness used here?

Sponsored

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Ford kit is just like all the aftermarket wireless ones. QTP is $82 to add wireless, $350 for two cutouts...

OP
OP

Synyster06Gates

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
The Ford kit is just like all the aftermarket wireless ones. QTP is $82 to add wireless, $350 for two cutouts...
The Ford kit uses the same motors as the GT350 - I already have the valves in place, just need the motors to turn them and a way to make it work. I can buy the motors for $90 each. They are 3 wire motors though instead of 2 wire like most cutouts.

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ah! Try calling up Ford Performance and say you need a price on a replacement harness, you damaged yours during install...?

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Who said anything about Ford?:shrug:
You implied Ford when you said "from the factory".

Generally, the statement "from the factory" refers to the original manufacturer. So for a 2015 Mustang that would be Ford. If you had said "from the dealer" then you open it up to other aftermarket options.

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
You implied Ford when you said "from the factory".

Generally, the statement "from the factory" refers to the original manufacturer. So for a 2015 Mustang that would be Ford. If you had said "from the dealer" then you open it up to other aftermarket options.
He's just being a smartass, since he has a Challenger now per his signature, which has active exhaust from the factory. So he is referring to an OEM, just not Ford.
Sponsored