Sponsored

Uneven Brake Pad Wear

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
It looks like it is finally time to change my OEM pads. They have lasted me around 1000 minutes of track time (which obviously means I am not very hard on the brakes). In any case, I have noticed that I have uneven wear from one side of the car to the other (passenger side has more wear than driver side), but also from one "pole" of the pad to the other (the top part near the squeaker vs the bottom part). Is this expected? Any ideas what I should do to remedy this in the future?
Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
It looks like it is finally time to change my OEM pads. They have lasted me around 1000 minutes of track time (which obviously means I am not very hard on the brakes). In any case, I have noticed that I have uneven wear from one side of the car to the other (passenger side has more wear than driver side), but also from one "pole" of the pad to the other (the top part near the squeaker vs the bottom part). Is this expected? Any ideas what I should do to remedy this in the future?
Totally normal from my experience. Are you wearing tires on the passenger side faster than driver side?

OP
OP
matthewr87

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Totally normal from my experience. Are you wearing tires on the passenger side faster than driver side?
Slightly more wear on the passenger side tire. I do rotate them side to side (by trying to equalize the number of left and right hand turns but its obviously not perfect). My last event was at Dominion which is counter-clockwise.

OP
OP
matthewr87

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Probably due to traction control
Hmmm...I do keep the nannies on (or whatever the nannies are in sport mode). I should have specified that these are the front pads. Does traction control negatively affect front pads too?

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Hmmm...I do keep the nannies on (or whatever the nannies are in sport mode). I should have specified that these are the front pads. Does traction control negatively affect front pads too?
in Norma and sport mode, yeah. Since the car keeps STM on, it’ll work the front tires as well as the rears. In track, it only keeps basic TCM on, so it only works the rear tires.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
You certainly continue to have traction control in sport mode, even in track mode unless you make it a point to disable it completely.
This is what I’ve heard from this forum. Personally I’d never disable it completely….I’m not that good.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Slightly more wear on the passenger side tire. I do rotate them side to side (by trying to equalize the number of left and right hand turns but its obviously not perfect). My last event was at Dominion which is counter-clockwise.
My home track has more high speed clockwise turns and more wear on the drivers side (tires and brakes.) I think the uneven wear has more to do with pulling G’s harder in one direction and the free-floating pads contacting the rotor as they’re being slung toward the outside (against the rotor) by centrifugal force. My pads on the right side (driver side inner and passenger side outer) show more uneven wear than the opposite pads.

Full disclosure, I got a B- or worse in physics, so I may be wayyyyyy off…. Just an observation and hypothesis based on observation.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
They do what they do. Sometimes the inner pads will wear faster as well. It would be prudent to pull the wheel every so often to do a visual on the inner pads.

OP
OP
matthewr87

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Interesting to learn about the STM using the front brakes. Makes sense.

And yeah I don't have the skill to turn off all the nannies either.

I read once on here about the inside pad wearing out before the outside pad so I've been paranoid ever since and I've been checking them each time I swap to my track wheels. Seems even so far between inside and outside.
Sponsored