Sponsored

Under The Hood Manufacturing Issues.......................................................

US HWY 666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R
This is a '20R. There appears to be small dents in the aluminum on the inside
of the hood. A lot of GT 350's seem to have a small round sticker in this
location. The sticker is about the size of a penny, so I'm thinking this could
possibly be indentations left by the assembly line process. These are actual
dents, which are hard to see in these photos. Does anyone have any experience
with this? I've talked to one person that does not have the stickers or denting of
the aluminum.

IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0493.JPG

IMG_0494.JPG

IMG_0495.JPG

IMG_0496.JPG
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I'd get the factory service touch up paint pen from your Ford dealer's parts department. At least the dents are underhood. My guess is they are from the way the hoods are racked. Poor quality and care? Absolutely. I've kind of given up on thinking Ford might actually listen and now just take my lumps, bitch about it for a bit, and then fix it and move onto the next issue. As long as they put your engine together right...

OP
OP

US HWY 666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R
I'd get the factory service touch up paint pen from your Ford dealer's parts department. At least the dents are underhood. My guess is they are from the way the hoods are racked. Poor quality and care? Absolutely. I've kind of given up on thinking Ford might actually listen and now just take my lumps, bitch about it for a bit, and then fix it and move onto the next issue. As long as they put your engine together right...
Thanks. That was sort of my theory. This R was built and put on the train in
about 8 days, so this Ray Charles Quality Control does not surprise me. Most
of the 350's I've seen have stickers covering this spot weld, who knows what
happened.
I think Ford may be rushing the R's out, before the cold weather arrives and
damages the Cup 2's.

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
To me it looks like these were corrective spot welds. Perhaps after the initial hood welding and then painting, some spot welds were not secure and they were spot welded again, over the paint. These hoods are flexible and weak welds may have popped loose? But there should have been a QA paint touch up afterwards, even if under the hood. I have seen examples on some car where the fender alignment was adjusted and they blobbed touch up paint on the bolts afterwards.

Sponsored

OP
OP

US HWY 666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R
To me it looks like these were corrective spot welds. Perhaps after the initial hood welding and then painting, some spot welds were not secure and they were spot welded again, over the paint. These hoods are flexible and weak welds may have popped loose? But there should have been a QA paint touch up afterwards, even if under the hood. I have seen examples on some car where the fender alignment was adjusted and they blobbed touch up paint on the bolts afterwards.
All the 350's have these 3 spot welds on each corner. Usually there is a small round
sticker at the spot weld in question, leading me to think Epiphany's theory is correct.
At any rate, not much quality control going on here.

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
All the 350's have these 3 spot welds on each corner. Usually there is a small round
sticker at the spot weld in question, leading me to think Epiphany's theory is correct.
At any rate, not much quality control going on here.
Yep checked under my hood and there are dot stickers just as you pointed out.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
Mine has the stickers also... they could have at least put a Cobra logo on the sticker so when we finally discovered it, some folks would think it's cool. Ford could have started selling the stickers as Shelby Hood Indention Spot stickers (aka S.H.I.T. stickers)......................... I should be in marketing!

What is that Smell?
Ohhhh, it's sarcasm...!

Last edited:

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
My 17 has the round black stickers too. I just noticed them yesterday coincidentally.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
On a positive note, I found this looking for the stickers.
Cool no?

EC64DE74-B3B0-4716-B874-B9B6BF2F979F.jpeg

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I'm not quite done bitching yet. Trying to get back into an R for 2020 and Ford is making it damn difficult not to go Porsche. Nothing like walking out to your $80k Mustang and having the apathy of the UAW staring back at you. If I can find a clean one, I'll be back in...but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the rush of 2020 production has made them worse than EVER.

That said, OP - you're making me chuckle...focusing on blemishes on the underside of the unfinished sheetmetal ;). Did you really have to go that far?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Sorry, for the amount of money these limited production vehicles cost, issues as noted in this thread are unacceptable. Not just because itā€™s a Ford, but because the Consumer is paying (cash or finance) to getting a vehicle of their liking and in some instances, their ā€œdreamsā€. The lack of Quality Control and/or final inspection before that vehicle is pushed out of the factory is appalling.

You canā€™t tell me that on a bright ass orange vehicle (any brand) that NO ONE didnā€™t see what is shown in the images here...

I would call the Ford 800# and complain as loudly as you can and then tell them youā€™re posting the BS ā€œqualityā€ product on their social media sites for all to see....

ā€œStickersā€ to cover up assembly line incompetence on an $70-$80k+ vehicle??? Thatā€™s BS.

If there is an assembly line ā€œBotā€ issue with how it welds, then why isnā€™t Management or Engineering going back to FIX the problem, this way itā€™s not a persistent issue with end results like above ??
Sponsored