Sponsored

Chad1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Probably not. When talking to Lund about going boosted, and not sure turbo or blower, they said just do stage 3 na cams best all around and work well forced induction and still keeps the phasers with no locks, will work well with a blower or turbo. Turbo may take a small hit in spool speed, but up high will make up for it.

OP
OP
BrianGT2015

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Mustang Eco Convertible
Probably not. When talking to Lund about going boosted, and not sure turbo or blower, they said just do stage 3 na cams best all around and work well forced induction and still keeps the phasers with no locks, will work well with a blower or turbo. Turbo may take a small hit in spool speed, but up high will make up for it.
really that is kind of interesting to me. I remember back when I had my 05 a tuner told me that the NA cams in a blower set up wasn't going to be really efficient. I believe what I read from Lund though. I am ordering a set of BBK shorty headers and deleting that cats. I thought about doing the cams until I went boosted. Well, I might now just for the shits and giggles of it. I hate doing work twice so thats one thing that made me hold off on the cams. I didn't want to have to swap them out again. You know. Going NA to FI.

Chad1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The technology is much better now than in 05. Tivct is an amazing thing for making things that would not work work otherwise. With as much control as they have with the cam timing now it makes cams more versatile than they used to be.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BrianGT2015

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
The technology is much better now than in 05. Tivct is an amazing thing for making things that would not work work otherwise. With as much control as they have with the cam timing now it makes cams more versatile than they used to be.
you have officially become my wife's least favorite person on the planet. another 1600 or so dollars going to the girl.

Chad1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
It will happen, atleast she doesn't know who I am LoL let me know when you get your new toys, I'll make sure to pour one out for ya lol

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Are turbo cams worth it?
I personally would suggest upgrading the valvesprings, valves and retainers before buying cams. Especially on a twin turbo car or a setup with a log style manifold. These setups tend to have increased back pressure at higher boost the stiffer valvesprings will help prevent valve float or worse you snapping a valve spring.

All turbo setups have higher back pressure so upgrading springs is a good mod for any boosted engine. Stiffer valvesprings also allow you to run higher RPMS safer.

All cams are "worth it" but your choice depends on what you want out of the car. Treat cams like the final mod you do to optimize your setup. You want to match your cams to a specific RPM range that you want to optimize

So say the car is a track only machine you're spending most of your time above 5000 rpm then something with big lift and duration is what you want.

If your turbos are late spoolers cams can help with the off boost throttle response.

"Worth it" is also relative. If your car is a daily, and your just driving to work and spirited drives spending 2-3k on a cam swap for 20-30whp may not be worth it... If you are trying to break into a class or you have sponsorship money riding on result spending 25,000 for 2hp is "worth it"

What's worth it depends entirely on you.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
really that is kind of interesting to me. I remember back when I had my 05 a tuner told me that the NA cams in a blower set up wasn't going to be really efficient. I believe what I read from Lund though. I am ordering a set of BBK shorty headers and deleting that cats. I thought about doing the cams until I went boosted. Well, I might now just for the shits and giggles of it. I hate doing work twice so thats one thing that made me hold off on the cams. I didn't want to have to swap them out again. You know. Going NA to FI.
I'd go another route on the headers and decide if your going to go turbo eventually or supercharged before buying the headers.

Yolo from Lund was saying BBKs are pretty restrictive, that said hes working with 600+ hp builds.

Texas speeds are pretty much knock offs of ARH and ARH is used by the Ford racing teams in their cobrajet race cars. I think they also use kooks.

OP
OP
BrianGT2015

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
I personally would suggest upgrading the valvesprings, valves and retainers before buying cams. Especially on a twin turbo car or a setup with a log style manifold. These setups tend to have increased back pressure at higher boost the stiffer valvesprings will help prevent valve float or worse you snapping a valve spring.

All turbo setups have higher back pressure so upgrading springs is a good mod for any boosted engine. Stiffer valvesprings also allow you to run higher RPMS safer.

All cams are "worth it" but your choice depends on what you want out of the car. Treat cams like the final mod you do to optimize your setup.

So say the car is a track only machine you're spending most of your time above 5000 rpm then something with big lift and duration is what you want.

If your turbos are late spoolers cams can help with the off boost throttle response.

"Worth it" is also relative. If your car is a daily, and your just driving to work and spirited drives spending 2-3k on a cam swap for 20-30whp may not be worth it... If you are trying to break into a class or you have sponsorship money riding on result spending 25,000 for 2hp is "worth it"

What's worth it depends entirely on you.
I get what your saying. The car is a toy. Not a dedicated track car. It's one of those, take her out the garage, drive her around, maybe go on a few errands on the weekends. Drive to friends houses maybe a road trip every so often. I like having stupid amounts of power for that unsuspecting kitty cat or vette. The huge reason I'm trying to go with a under mount turbo set up is the fact it's not so in your face and I can surprise the crap out of folks. Fairly quiet under normal driving situations. I want the cams kind to say I got them I guess. Oh well. I might do what you said and wait till the last bit.

Sponsored

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
I get what your saying. The car is a toy. Not a dedicated track car. It's one of those, take her out the garage, drive her around, maybe go on a few errands on the weekends. Drive to friends houses maybe a road trip every so often. I like having stupid amounts of power for that unsuspecting kitty cat or vette. The huge reason I'm trying to go with a under mount turbo set up is the fact it's not so in your face and I can surprise the crap out of folks. Fairly quiet under normal driving situations. I want the cams kind to say I got them I guess. Oh well. I might do what you said and wait till the last bit.
Bro once the car has a turbo there wont be any hiding... Once the engine is on they're going to know somethings up. They Will hear the turbo spooling at idle... And all turbo engines have a distinct pulse sound because of how the exhaust flows through it. So you won't be fooling anyone.

If The plan is to to turbo I'd suggest you just go turbo. Don't waste money on any other mod. You can get valvesprings, oil pump gears. As preventative stuff.

Titanium valvesprings will give you a bump in throttle response and you can rev the engine higher so those are pluses

OP
OP
BrianGT2015

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Bro once the car has a turbo there wont be any hiding... Once the engine is on they're going to know somethings up. They Will hear the turbo spooling at idle... And all turbo engines have a distinct pulse sound because of how the exhaust flows through it. So you won't be fooling anyone.

If The plan is to to turbo I'd suggest you just go turbo. Don't waste money on any other mod. You can get valvesprings, oil pump gears. As preventative stuff.

Titanium valvesprings will give you a bump in throttle response and you can rev the engine higher so those are pluses
It's getting close to time. I'm ready and hope the build goes easy. Hope I don't have a head ache getting tuned.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
iplusesi prefer top mount turbo, because the turbo are easily accessible, if you need to check the wastegate for boost leaks, or check for oil leaks or replace a turbo. A top mount makes them easy to access. Plus if you're gonna spend 8-12k why not show it off...

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
It's getting close to time. I'm ready and hope the build goes easy. Hope I don't have a head ache getting tuned.
You're gonna have head aches but that's part of the game bro.

OP
OP
BrianGT2015

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
iplusesi prefer top mount turbo, because the turbo are easily accessible, if you need to check the wastegate for boost leaks, or check for oil leaks or replace a turbo. A top mount makes them easy to access. Plus if you're gonna spend 8-12k why not show it off...
I thought about a top mount however, love that look too under the hood. What about inlet temps. Are they not better on the under mount kits? Not trying to go with meth injection and I don't have e85 stations near me.
Sponsored