Sponsored

Tunes that remove fake engine noise

Theripcity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost
Hey everyone, been lurking for a while but just now decided to sign up.

My question is what tuners/off the shelf tunes, remove the fake engine noise from the cabin?

I know you can do it with forscan and the Ford performance tune does this as well.

If it matters this is for an 18 EcoBoost.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Deleted member

Just go to the rear of your headliner where it meets the rear window, gently pull down and you'll see a wire leading to a small microphone. Cut or disconnect the wire if you can and boom no more fake noises.

OP
OP

Theripcity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost
Just go to the rear of your headliner where it meets the rear window, gently pull down and you'll see a wire leading to a small microphone. Cut or disconnect the wire if you can and boom no more fake noises.
That 100% removes it? I’ve seen conflicting information on it.

Deleted member

That 100% removes it? I’ve seen conflicting information on it.
Worked for me, the added drone got really bad when i added my exhaust. So i looked it up, cut it and it went away.

Sponsored

bullcity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I use the unleashed tune with the SCT tuner. It did not remove the sounds.

I feel like the noises come from 2 sources. There is a module here that is located in the rear headliner on hardtops and the map light area on convertibles. That introduces noises as the exhaust is hitting different RPMs. Then there is a fake engine noise generator that is separate. I was able to remove that by installing an aftermarket stereo going to an aftermarket amp and not using the factory amp.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
That did not work for me. It caused the noise cancelling to stop working and the overall noise level went up so i hooked the microphone back up.

For me the fake engine sound just sounded weird. Couldn't put my finger on it, just something didn't sound right. When i installed the FP tune the weirdness stopped and i couldn't be happier.

Reactions: Cxp

Cxp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB app
i agree with the Weird sentiment. They tried to make the engine sound lower than it really is, but it sounds wrong. My guess is since there has to be a cheap amplifier, cheap DAC, cheap speakers, we are hearing the fake sounds plus unnatural distortion harmonics overlayed which is why it’s unnatural. All natural sounds have a fundamental and then multiple harmonica layered on top. With cheap audio equipment, harmonic distortion is introduced and intermodulation distortion is introduced.

I am happy the FP cal turned all of this nonsense off, the engine sounds better without the help.

320guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EB PP soon
Does the FPT keep the noise canceling on?

Sponsored

320guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EB PP soon
You can get a cheap OBD2 reader and do it yourself regardless of tune...
I guess my question is. If I turn off the fake engine noise through Forscan, the ANC still on or does it shut it off also?

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost PP Manual Recaro
I guess my question is. If I turn off the fake engine noise through Forscan, the ANC still on or does it shut it off also?
Using Forscan turns off both the fake engine sound and the ANC. I miss the ANC; and now that I have the FP tune I'm going to return to the original settings in Forscan. I'll report back on the results when I finally get around to it.

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
Anc and fake engine noise are the same code, they are together either both on or both off.

Engine noise disabled, speakers sound so much nicer with music

320guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EB PP soon
Anc and fake engine noise are the same code, they are together either both on or both off.

Engine noise disabled, speakers sound so much nicer with music
That makes sense. Now, other question...

How’s the cabin noise without the ANC?
Sponsored