Sponsored

Ford Mustang EcoBoost has fake engine soundtrack

Moustache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TTC
:thumbdown:
So whatever you hear in the cabin is artificial...and you can't even turn it off unless you pull the fuse. But you won't have a radio.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/24/ford-mustang-ecoboost-fake-engine-soundtrack/

The 2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost represents a huge change for the Blue Oval as the first pony car in decades to be available with a four-cylinder engine. But a recent tweet (below) from Road & Track raised our curiosity about the new vehicle. Editor Jason Cammisa pulled a fuse while driving the latest 'Stang with the 2.3-liter EcoBoost engine, and he found that both the stereo and engine went quiet in the cabin. That indicated the coupe might have some form of artificial engine sound being piped in – a feature not previously heavily reported for the model. Autoblog spoke with Ford engineer Shawn Carney who confirmed that only the turbocharged four-cylinder Mustang comes with this system, called Active Noise Control.
In fact, Carney is partially responsible for tuning and shaping the EcoBoost's note in the Mustang, and he said the setup serves two distinct functions. First, it cancels out some of the coarse noise as part of the 'Stang's refinement strategy. It also allows Ford to enhance things by "layering in certain sound characteristics on top of what's already there," he said. To determine the right mix, the engine processor monitors torque output and changes things accordingly. "The intent is to be a natural experience," said Carney.

According to Carney, Mustang fans actually helped to shape the enhancement mix. Ford held clinics with clubs dedicated to the model and played different "sound concepts" for them. With that input, the company eventually narrowed it down to a final one.

Some drivers might find some potential downsides to Active Noise Control, though. For buyers that hate the idea of artificial sound in the cabin, the system can't be turned off (except pulling the fuse and killing the radio). If you like the way your 2015 Mustang sounds with ANC on, we hope you like the sound of the original stereo, too. The tech is integrated into the head unit, so if you upgrade your audio system, your car's powertrain isn't going to sound the same.
Sponsored

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Yeah; this has been well-known for months now. It's just the Ecoboost models.

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT Premium w/PP
Sorry, I couldn't resist.
33753136.jpg

phil1336

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid & S550 Convertible
WTF? Boy, that aging Dinosaur 3.7 V6 (without) artificial engine sound enhancement is starting to look better and better and ............

Sponsored

Malikona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R1
WTF? Boy, that aging Dinosaur 3.7 V6 (without) artificial engine sound enhancement is starting to look better and better and ............
*sigh* DUDE we know you like the V6 better than the EB, it's doesn't need you to evangelize for it. (Well it probably does come to think of it...) Besides I think everyone will agree that the V6 sounds better than the EB, but if you're choosing an engine based mainly on how it sounds...well...go for it.

And FWIW, Ford has explained repeatedly that the engine sound from the speakers is just an amplification of the actual engine sound with noise cancelling, not a 'fake' engine sound. But people will never agree on what 'fake' means anyway. I think it sounds awesome, which is all that really matters to me! :love:

phil1336

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid & S550 Convertible
*sigh* DUDE we know you like the V6 better than the EB, it's doesn't need you to evangelize for it. (Well it probably does come to think of it...) Besides I think everyone will agree that the V6 sounds better than the EB, but if you're choosing an engine based mainly on how it sounds...well...go for it.

And FWIW, Ford has explained repeatedly that the engine sound is just an amplification of the actual engine sound with noise cancelling, not a 'fake' engine sound. But people will never agree on what 'fake' means anyway. I think it sounds awesome, which is all that really matters to me! :love:
Why deny the "joy" of artificial engine sound enhancement to those with the 3.7 V6 or the 5.0 V8? I want my enhancement (chip) too!:thumbdown:

Malikona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R1
Why deny the "joy" of artificial engine sound enhancement to those with the 3.7 V6 or the 5.0 V8? I want my enhancement (chip) too!:thumbdown:
I've never understood people who get their kicks by shitting on other people's interests and decisions, but in the spirit of open-mindedness - I hope you are at least enjoying yourself on this board.

If people like the way the EB sounds with the noise cancelling and enhancement - which I for one do - good for them. Ford did that to make the car sound better than it otherwise would, so I'm glad they did. I understand the purists' point-of-view, but I think it's pretty cool tech (beats putting a fart can on the car by a long shot), and if it enhances the driving experience, I want more of it, "artificial" though it may be.

There's not much reason to debate this, either you like it or you don't. And I'm assuming you've actually listened to the videos of the EB vs the V8 interior sound to form a fact-based opinion.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Dude in OP's pic kind of looks like Adam Sandler.

Sponsored

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
There's not much reason to debate this, either you like it or you don't. And I'm assuming you've actually listened to the videos of the EB vs the V8 interior sound to form a fact-based opinion.
It's not so much the interior sound -- I didn't really buy the V8 so that I could hear it, so much as that other people around me could hear it. I don't really care what the engine noise is -- but I want to make sure the people on the sidewalk when I pass like what they hear. Piped in audio doesn't really help with that.

Patrick S

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 50 year Ap/Pkg
I've never understood people who get their kicks by shitting on other people's interests and decisions
there is a segment of the car community who are like that. Having owned the 2005 V6 for the past 10 years, it became very clear and apparent that some in the car community can not accept that someone else might want, or like, something different than what they want and like.

Josh Painter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
the-12th-fan.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford Fusion SEL
Year and years of fake engine scoops, fake portholes, crummy vinyl roofs from Detroit (and elsewhere) elicit yawns. Yet Ford enhances the 23EB's engine noise, and OUTRAGE!.

That fake continential kit on the Lincoln Continental Mark VII is way cool, but a little creativity to get the more unpleasant notes out of the S550 EB's soundtrack are blasphemy! And, yeah, the fake shark gills on the front are cool, but enhanced actual engine sounds are not.

Got it, hypocrites.

PJE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base Ecoboost Mustang - Ingot Silver
I have no issue with sound enhancement. I'd like the option to change the amount of noise cancelation and enhancement to fit my mood.

If the car performs well, I have no problem with how it sounds from outside, but everyone has their own opinions.

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
I have no problems with it. I wonder how it works with Bluetooth? does it lower the volume of the engine sound when making a call? I wonder how it works with the convertible model. Did they create a soundtrack for the fastback and a separate one for the ragtop?
Sponsored