Tune for V8: Ford vs Lund vs Livernois

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
yeah im liking after market myself, my car is only 6 months old . but money wise for the gains ford offers its not worth it . and as far as i have read these motors are fairly bullet proof, im going all n/a so. im sure i wont have a issue with the motor at all
Sponsored

racer24crm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT
I think I've mentioned this on every tune vs warranty thread on here but the factory powertrain warranty is 5 years/ 60k miles. Adding the ford tune drops it to 3 years/36k miles so you are basically paying to lose a good chunk of your warranty on a a mild tune.

I only have a little over a year left at this point so if I do anything I'm going 3rd party. I figure if anything was gonna go wrong with the engine it would have happened by now and if anything happened from a trusted tune then it would most likely be out of the 5 year/ 60k anyway.

OP
OP
Mustang_Lou

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Adding the ford tune drops it to 3 years/36k miles so you are basically paying to lose a good chunk of your warranty on a a mild tune. .
And if I read it correctly, the warranty on the Ford tune starts from the date you BOUGHT the car, not the date the tune was installed. So if you've got an early 2015 you could be down to just over a year or so. What's the point.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
What tuners can do crank relearn and what causes that? Is it possible to get lund or other tunes on a different hand held tuner like sct x4?

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
A crank relearn is something that happens even with Ford IDS software flashing. It is not a by-product of aftermarket tuning. Basically, it is a service procedure that has to do with the calibration of the PCM to a specific engine’s crankshaft position sensor.

Sponsored

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
After a few days I can report back to you My version 8 tune revision is pulling like a freight train! :headbang:

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I think I've mentioned this on every tune vs warranty thread on here but the factory powertrain warranty is 5 years/ 60k miles. Adding the ford tune drops it to 3 years/36k miles so you are basically paying to lose a good chunk of your warranty on a a mild tune.

I only have a little over a year left at this point so if I do anything I'm going 3rd party. I figure if anything was gonna go wrong with the engine it would have happened by now and if anything happened from a trusted tune then it would most likely be out of the 5 year/ 60k anyway.
It only drops the parts that are replaced by the package to 3/36. If you have an issue that was determined it wasn't caused by the parts that were from the performance package & tune, it's still covered by the 5/60 warranty.

SVT Wylde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randall
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
A crank relearn is something that happens even with Ford IDS software flashing. It is not a by-product of aftermarket tuning. Basically, it is a service procedure that has to do with the calibration of the PCM to a specific engine’s crankshaft position sensor.
The SCT X4 has the crank relearn option. Does your programmer have that feature if I decide to go with your tuning? I have a 2016 and I've heard they are more likely to throw that code.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
The best part of our MyCal tuner for the S550 is that crank relearn is something that it does automatically for you! There is no need to go to the dealership or even flip to an alternate menu on your tuner.

Sponsored

racer24crm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT
It only drops the parts that are replaced by the package to 3/36. If you have an issue that was determined it wasn't caused by the parts that were from the performance package & tune, it's still covered by the 5/60 warranty.
True, but thinking Ford won't find a reason to attribute an engine problem to the Ford Performance Tune is kind of naive in my opinion. Especially, when you consider there are already several people on these forums reporting problems on cars that are otherwise stock (one guy does have an airaid MIT, doubt that is significant enough to cause a problem with the tune). Ford still hasn't offered them a solution/explanation and this shows that the Ford tune isn't bulletproof.

I highly doubt Ford is gonna spend the money and time needed to dissect an engine to determine the true cause of a problem at some random dealership that has other cars and customers to worry about.

murphy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I downloaded a Lund 93 oct tune on Saturday, had constant rain all weekend so did not get much play time, but with some dry periods yesterday and today I was finally able to check out the tune within reason. And I gotta say I am more than pleased with the results! The low end torque and throttle response is amazing! Due to the 235 stock A/S tires, going WOT right now is very unsettling. Prior to the tune, I would get a lot of tire spin and now I get crazy squirrely. Tires are a must! LOL Even with that said, the car pulls a lot harder, quicker response, and even my H pipe to stock mufflers sound better/more aggressive. I'm not the biggest fish on the street but for me and my street driving I am very happy, the tune has exceeded my expectations, and I know my smile will get bigger once I get stickier tires!
Shout out to [MENTION=10926]beefcake[/MENTION] for all the help! Thanks bro!

MedStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Guard GT PP 401A
Man, these tunes are tempting. I'm a little jealous of you guys with them. I'd like to get one someday, but I'm not sure that my wife would like me voiding my warranty. 4+ more yrs is a long time to wait. This is the first car that I've bought that has a warranty (my first new car). Honestly, I would be okay financially if something did go wrong and Ford wouldn't cover it, but I'm sure my wife wouldn't be happy.

I was gonna go with Ford's tune, but not sure now. Probably too early to tell, but it looks like they are gonna leave a bit to be desired.

How many miles do you have on your car?

dg108

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Fyi I have 1000 miles on my car and am already tuned. I have tuned many other cars and never had an issue. Just use a reputable tuner and have fun!

OP
OP
Mustang_Lou

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Got the Livernois e-mail late in the afternoon saying the tunes were ready to be downloaded from their servers. Installed the software on my laptop from the link they sent and then updated the tuner device with those server files as per the instructions.

I got a 91 and a 93 octane tune (same price) and just uploaded the 93 to the car. Idled fine for a minute or 2 in the garage ... now waiting for the rain to stop and drive it normally for a bit before going wot. Will see what tomorrow brings ... may drive it to work if the weather holds.
Sponsored