Sponsored

TSB for Secondary Cam Chain Tensioner

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
S
I wanted to take a closer look at the secondary chain tensioner itself so I ordered one through my Ford Parts guru - thanks again Bryan. I filmed a quick video with my phone to hopefully capture a better view of the tensioner.

In a nutshell, if you can see the groove like this you should be all good (assuming the tensioner on the other cylinder head was released as well).

20210509_163429-X2.jpg

If your tensioner is still compressed such that you see no groove as in the above photo you may want to stop driving your car and contact your dealer immediately.

Note that the guides themselves are subject to wear and can be replaced. So if you notice a chewed up guide you may want to have that serviced in short order.

As I mentioned in the video, the guides are made from PA46.

20210509_153835-X2.jpg

20210509_154040-XL.jpg

PA46 "enables lower frictional torque in comparison with any other material (e.g. PA66) at relatively low engine speeds ranging from idle to 1800 rpm. PA46 allows for reliable solutions due to its high abrasion resistance (7 times better than PA66)." For more on PA46 see the attached pdf.
So, PA46 may get worn if the tensioner is not engaged, but the shaving from it should not affect the engine... Correct?
Sponsored

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350/'95 F250/'65 Fastback/'96 Cobra Project
L0424 (which was not on the list) built in Nov. '19 by Jeff Hamblin checks out ok.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
I wanted to take a closer look at the secondary chain tensioner itself so I ordered one through my Ford Parts guru - thanks again Bryan. I filmed a quick video with my phone to hopefully capture a better view of the tensioner.

In a nutshell, if you can see the groove like this you should be all good (assuming the tensioner on the other cylinder head was released as well).

20210509_163429-X2.jpg

If your tensioner is still compressed such that you see no groove as in the above photo you may want to stop driving your car and contact your dealer immediately.

Note that the guides themselves are subject to wear and can be replaced. So if you notice a chewed up guide you may want to have that serviced in short order.

20210509_153835-X2.jpg

20210509_154040-XL.jpg

PA46 "enables lower frictional torque in comparison with any other material (e.g. PA66) at relatively low engine speeds ranging from idle to 1800 rpm. PA46 allows for reliable solutions due to its high abrasion resistance (7 times better than PA66)." For more on PA46 see the attached pdf.
Nice video explanation. Quick observation. In the other video floating around the tech does not appear to turn the tensioner 90* to activate it. He simply presses it down to release it. Wouldn't that be a real world example?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
So, PA46 may get worn if the tensioner is not engaged, but the shaving from it should not affect the engine... Correct?
You never know but at least the material isn't iron that could be floating around just looking for mayhem. The PA 46 is constantly wearing, hopefully at a greatly reduced rate in comparison to other similarly used Nylon formulations.
Nice video explanation. Quick observation. In the other video floating around the tech does not appear to turn the tensioner 90* to activate it. He simply presses it down to release it. Wouldn't that be a real world example?
I found that and posted that video because I noticed the same thing. It would make sense that all you have to do is to remove the blue plastic retainer and then push it down to pop it up. The one I purchased required rotation though. I should have bought 2 or 3 of them...:)

Rebel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350
Sorry to hear that, if you read through the TSB, they will perform a series of checks and replace any potentially affected components. It is possible if you pass the checks that you will have your car back within a reasonable timeframe. Since your car drives fine, hopefully your checks are all OK...at least it is better than a blown motor, which would take a very long time to resolve.

Hopefully, your car is ok, good luck.
Thank you sir yes fingers crossed with the next check in the process I will be sure to keep everyone updated.

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Excellent video, @Epiphany! Great to see one that can be played with for everyone to get a better idea of its mechanics.

Looking back, looks like I used part # BR3Z-6K254-B in my refreshes. I see you have a new ML3Z part. Wonder what the difference is.

Have you heard anything from the folks at Ford about this issue? Still struggling to understand how this anything but a part failure. When you install in the cam cap and then rotate 90* so you can slip the secondary chain over it, it activates it because you have to push it down and rotate it back. At least both of mine did the 2x I reinstalled sets.

Regarding the question about rotating it, I'm fairly confident you won't be able to slide the chains over with it in the end position. Turning it 90*was critical for the chain to slip over it. You then twist it back -- which, at least in my cases, pushed the part down far enough to force it to be "activated."

The manual also makes no mention of it. I guess they could assume you're re-using the same ones and there for it doesn't "matter." That said, given my thought about regarding the rotating maneuver activating, I'm still not sold on this being an install error-unless this is all caused by the updated part design.

1620675252071.png

1620675261584.png

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

20210509_163429-X2.jpg

20210509_153835-X2.jpg

20210509_154040-XL.jpg

Excellent info and Tech for sure!! Thanks for taking the time to doing such a thorough post.

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 / 2021 Jaguar SVR / 2019 TrackHawk

20210509_163429-X2.jpg

20210509_153835-X2.jpg

20210509_154040-XL.jpg

Thank you for ordering and illustrating this, I shared it on the fordgt500 site and gave you the proper credit. Extremely helpful! Thank you!

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Have you heard anything from the folks at Ford about this issue? Still struggling to understand how this anything but a part failure.
I can only say this. I've been lucky enough to have the opportunity to speak with a number of people behind the GT350 and GT500 programs, including those behind the Voodoo engine program. They did a fantastic job and then get moved to other programs while Flat Rock and the Niche plant workers put everything together. There's a bit of disappointment and frustration with some of the "assembly snafus" owner's bear the eventual brunt of. Should the engineers be held responsible for not making everything dummy proof? Were some of the suggestions made to ensure that bad things don't happen killed off due to budgetary concerns? Is any of this due to a lack of proper training or simply assembly error? From what I understand it is a bit of everything. Throw Covid into the mix as well as the fact that efforts are mostly focused on electrification at current and you have the perfect storm.

I will say this...not releasing a simple tensioner(s) that can cause the ruination of a near 25k engine when all is said and done - no excuse is good enough. And to assume that because one tensioner looks good that the other one is likely good as well, just wow. These are interesting times we are living in for sure.

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
And to assume that because one tensioner looks good that the other one is likely good as well, just wow. These are interesting times we are living in for sure.
Hello; This statement is important to consider. I have been thinking about the implications.

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Best pic I can get, but I believe that’s the grove. Can a second set of eyes confirm?

ACA86E8A-8C68-488E-9588-6859644872CB.jpeg

Rebel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350
Hello; This statement is important to consider. I have been thinking about the implications.
I totally agree with these concerns, while I’m very disappointed my motor has to be opened up after only 1,900 miles at least I will have peace of mind that all chains guides and tensioners will be good to go.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Which concerns me that someone has an idea of where and how the problem has occurred. Blanketing the ordeal makes allows for no one to be singled out.