Truth about 5.2 engine failure

simpson_3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2006 GT
I've been looking at buying a 2016 or 2017 GT350 but have some concerns. How come I see a lot of them blown up or are buybacks with engine replacements? Were these bad years? What caused these failures? Any advice? Thanks
Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Do not buy, it's a ticking time bomb! Trust me, I'd know.

*drives off in his 2016 GT350 with a new 2019 engine*

On a more serious note, it was due to oil consumption. With that said, I would never buy performance cars 2nd hand.

OP
OP

simpson_3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2006 GT
Do not buy, it's a ticking time bomb! Trust me, I'd know.

*drives off in his 2016 GT350 with a new 2019 engine*

On a more serious note, it was due to oil consumption. With that said, I would never buy performance cars 2nd hand.
What do you think of the 2018 Mustang GT?

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
What do you think of the 2018 Mustang GT?
The Mustang GT was never a consideration. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for high revving, naturally aspirated cars. I'd say before the C8 Vette was introduced, Ford shook the motoring world when they offered a Ferrari-style engine for only $50k. If you told my import-owning ass the Fix-Or-Repair-Daily(this is how I felt about the brand) would come out with such a car, I'd say you were insane.

But here I am owning a brand I use to give the stink-eye to. Now both of my cars are Ford's. There were some pains, being that I grabbed the first model year GT350(as you can see with the engine replacement) but to simply put it: The car hurts so good. It's been in the shop for A/C issues, starter issues, and now an engine replacement due to oil consumption, but I still have it, and I still love it. The issues get resolved when it comes up. The new A/C system is acting up again, it's a well-known weakpoint. It's the same POS system in All Mustang trims.

At the end of the day, you're getting a bargain for what you're getting, so you learn to temper your expectations, and know that it's not a Porsche, which you would've paid triple+ for.

OP
OP

simpson_3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2006 GT
The Mustang GT was never a consideration. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for high revving, naturally aspirated cars. I'd say before the C8 Vette was introduced, Ford shook the motoring world when they offered a Ferrari-style engine for only $50k. If you told my import-owning ass the Fix-Or-Repair-Daily(this is how I felt about the brand) would come out with such a car, I'd say you were insane.

But here I am owning a brand I use to give the stink-eye to. Now both of my cars are Ford's. There were some pains, being that I grabbed the first model year GT350(as you can see with the engine replacement) but to simply put it: The car hurts so good. It's been in the shop for A/C issues, starter issues, and now an engine replacement due to oil consumption, but I still have it, and I still love it. The issues get resolved when it comes up. The new A/C system is acting up again, it's a well-known weakpoint. It's the same POS system in All Mustang trims.

At the end of the day, you're getting a bargain for what you're getting, so you learn to temper your expectations, and know that it's not a Porsche, which you would've paid triple+ for.
I'm an import guy but wanted to give something american a try. I want either a mustang or a c7 stingray. I just want to make sure I'm not going to buy something that is going to blow up.

Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Disclaimer: I'm carefree about this car because I have the premium extended warranty for a total of 8years, and the 8 year extended maintenance plan which includes brakes and clutches.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Advice. Don’t buy one.

I've been looking at buying a 2016 or 2017 GT350 but have some concerns. How come I see a lot of them blown up or are buybacks with engine replacements? Were these bad years? What caused these failures? Any advice? Thanks

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
Check your oil level and don't hammer on the car when cold and you should be okay. Also just to note be wary of some of the recent failures, since Ford made the decision to replace Gen 1 failures with Gen 2 updated Voodoo motors, they may have enticed some owners to be willful in the failure in order to receive the upgrade.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)

Sponsored

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
On this site alone you will get all kinds of recommendations. Maybe a good idea is to pay for an extended warranty as many have suggested. I have had two GT350s. On the first one I had the extended warranty, on the one I have now I'm going to get the extended warranty if keep it past the 3 rear engine warranty. Ford will base the extended warranty on how many miles are on the car at the time you request an extended warranty. I verified this with my first GT350 by calling them after several years. They ask for the VIN and the mileage. The original price hardly changed because of low miles.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
I'm an import guy but wanted to give something american a try. I want either a mustang or a c7 stingray. I just want to make sure I'm not going to buy something that is going to blow up.
I would buy the newest GT350 you can afford with the longest warranty remaining. You can also add a basic extended warranty on just the powertrain but it’s a few thousand.

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
On this site alone you will get all kinds of recommendations. Maybe a good idea is to pay for an extended warranty as many have suggested. I have had two GT350s. On the first one I had the extended warranty, on the one I have now I'm going to get the extended warranty if keep it past the 3 rear engine warranty. Ford will base the extended warranty on how many miles are on the car at the time you request an extended warranty. I verified this with my first GT350 by calling them after several years. They ask for the VIN and the mileage. The original price hardly changed because of low miles.
It’s a 5 year/60k mile warranty for the engine/power train.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Go drive one. Ignore the guys who dont or never owned on. The GT is a great car but it aint no threefiddy. My 16 used no oil, ran great but I follow the recommendations set by ford. A warranty makes it a lot easier.

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
I’m going to preference this with this is the last post that I will do on engine problem threads.

There are no common themes of GT350 Voodoo engine failures that is above the standard deviation of any other car model in terms of vehicle failures or engine failures.

There are no legitimately accepted issues that a majority of the community is experiencing or will experience that will lead to Ford recalling cars. There has not been a class action lawsuit claiming that GT350 owners were sold a product that is less than the consumer expectation, nor if one was filed would it be something that a majority of owners could claim that they are effected with. So I say, the GT350 is not a vehicle that has an inherent failure that is waiting to cost owners exorbitant costs in the future that is above what an average consumer would reasonably expect to pay in owning a performance car.

For people who have oil issues or had their motors replaced, I am not saying that your issue did not exist. What I am saying is that the issue that you experienced is not a reflection or a sign that there is a hidden problem that will occur in the entire fleet of cars, nor is it an issue that is highly likely that the community as a whole will experience in owning a GT350.

I point to the fact that there are no articles on this issue covered in any legitimate media source like MotorTrend, Hot Rod, Road & Track, etc., which would have covered the story and investigated by asking Ford if there was such a widely found problem.

This has become a self-fulfilling prophecy where every week another person comes and asks about the same issue because they have read on the forums that there is an inherit weakness in the motor which has made them pause in purchasing a car. And so, we do this again, and again, and again. And then we ask about vehicle depreciation in other threads, and I wonder if we do not think that we are shooting our own community in the foot.

If we love the GT350 and if we love the experiences that it gives us, then these constant discussions where we assume that there is either an issue, or there was an issue in older models (which has not been substantiated), or that if we say “if you buy one make sure to max out on extended warranties,” then all we are doing is spreading an unfounded rumor that there is a huge issue and weakness in the cars. We do this without evidence or facts that show that there is a large issue like the Jeep Death Wobble, Mini Cooper timing chain breaking failure or the Ford Focus Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) failure. Those are legitimate issues that were documented to be a manufacturer defect that would cause failure and that would not meet consumer standards.
Sponsored