Sponsored

Trunk release

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
Hey guys, I have a new issue today. I went to get groceries and filled the trunk up and when I got home I could not get it open! The button under the trunk doesn't work nor the key fob. I had to put the seats down and crawl through to pull the release. Any idea what it could be and would it be covered under the basic warranty?
Sponsored

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
If your under base yes there is a tsb for that .

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So that means it is covered then? I'm wondering if its related to my rear camera stopped working about 60 months ago? I was going to let that go as I was planning on trading it in this summer, but decided to look for a newer house first (with a garage for my next new car) and its taking longer than I thought it would to even get my place listed because I've been having trouble finding a decent contractor that wants to work on it anytime soon.

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
This would be covered under the 3 year/36k mile limited warranty.

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, but I'm over both of those.

Sponsored

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Warranty coverage all depends on how the claim is coded . You need you need to have the vin ran against the causal part number to find out what warranty coverage there is left .

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Yeah, but I'm over both of those.
It's an easy fix. I put out a write-up on this about a year or so ago, so search my posts. You simply need to trace the wiring harness on the right side of the trunk and find the broken wires (they'll be right where the trunk and the body meet). Remove the cladding, strip and solder the wires, or use butt connectors, then re-wrap to protect the wires. I soldered a 6" extension into it so that there wouldn't be stretching or other issues.

JR

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't have a garage or hardly any tools. My dad may have a soldering gun and he used to be good with cars, but he's getting up there in years.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Here ya go:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/backup-camera-not-working.122961/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ear-camera-stop-working-heres-the-fix.117245/

The TSB and how to fix is in the above threads.

Most likely the specified wires broke inside the right side (passenger side) trunk wiring harness.

TSB will only cover it if the car is still under the 3/36 Warranty (or maybe if you have a Ford ESP plan that covers electrical). If 3/36 is done and you don’t have an ESP plan, you will have to pay for the repair.

Don’t pay for the repair, it’s an easy fix as outlined in the above thread.

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info. I'll check it when I have more time. But I'm in the process of trying to fix my house up while working FT. I wonder what the dealer would charge (ballpark) to fix it? If it was say around $100 or so, maybe, but much more than that then I'll see if me and my dad can tackle it when I get a chance.

Sponsored

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info. I'll check it when I have more time. But I'm in the process of trying to fix my house up while working FT. I wonder what the dealer would charge (ballpark) to fix it? If it was say around $100 or so, maybe, but much more than that then I'll see if me and my dad can tackle it when I get a chance.
Actually it is covered under safety restraint warranty 5 yr 60k . I ran my vin the coded base number for the heck of it .
PART NUMBER: 14A005 (WIRING ASY)

REPAIR DATE:08/26/2020

REPAIR DISTANCE:28000 Miles

STATE:OH

IS COVERED UNDER -SAFETY RESTRAINT

Davesvt2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
What about the release button on the left side of the steering column, does that work ?

Last edited:

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I don't have a garage or hardly any tools. My dad may have a soldering gun and he used to be good with cars, but he's getting up there in years.
You barely need any tools. Go buy yourself one of these and some red butt connectors, along with some 18 gauge primary wire, and electrical tape or heat shrink tubing. Cut the wires, strip them, crimp on butt connectors, add 6" of primary wire, crimp the ends, wrap with tape or heat shrink.

JR

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Actually it is covered under safety restraint warranty 5 yr 60k . I ran my vin the coded base number for the heck of it .
PART NUMBER: 14A005 (WIRING ASY)

REPAIR DATE:08/26/2020

REPAIR DISTANCE:28000 Miles

STATE:OH

IS COVERED UNDER -SAFETY RESTRAINT
@fmc_smt
That’s interesting to know.

So is it safe to say that some of the vehicle body harnesses are covered under the 5/60 only IF that same harness is tied to a BCM within the vehicle that is also safety related (lights/airbags)?

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@fmc_smt
That’s interesting to know.

So is it safe to say that some of the vehicle body harnesses are covered under the 5/60 only IF that same harness is tied to a BCM within the vehicle that is also safety related (lights/airbags)?
Depends on the part base number , only way to tell is to run the base number on the parts coverage tool on oasis
Sponsored