Sponsored

Truck Owners?

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Any truck owners on here? If so, what and why? What don't you like, and what would you consider in its place?

My GT will be paid off soon and I'm getting to a point in life where I am going to want something comfortable and practical and have the GT as the fun car, not a daily.

I think I am pretty set on a full sized truck. I like the Ranger, but don't like the lack of rear seat space and the small-ish bed. However, it is a great truck that has some serious off-road ability in the Tremor or FX4 package and a great powertrain.

I'm a Ford guy through and through, so I am gravitating toward the F-150 versus anything else. I do think RAM has the nicest interiors and ride super nice, but lack in the drivetrain options. The new Chevy trucks are love/hate and I'd like to check one out, but have a feeling I'd end up back at Ford.

Does anyone have experience with the 2.7, 3.5 or truck 5.0? I know they are all capable - thinking long-term, I want something that can haul so that would point me more toward the 3.5 or 5.0. Any input on the 6 vs 10 speed debate?

Interested in everyone's experiences/suggestions!
Sponsored

WV millwright

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jackie
Vehicle(s)
2018 F 150 2017 Escape
I have a 2018 F150 supercrew with the 5.5 ft bed and the 2.7 Ecoboost engine. Have 47k miles on it with no issues. It is 4wd. I have towed about 5k miles between my 26ft camper which weighs about 5500 pounds loaded and a 18ft car trailer with cars, Kubota, UTVs, etc. It has no issues towing anything as fast as you are wanting to pull it but the fuel mileage suffers severely when towing at highway speeds. I only average about 10-12 mpg towing on the highway at 70-75 mph.

I also have a 2.5 inch leveling kit and 285/75/17 load range E tires that weigh about double the factory tires. This also hurts the fuel mileage. I can get 18-20 on the highway at 65mph but drops to about 15 at 80mph. I love the room in the cab in both the front and rear seat. Adults can ride in the rear seats and not be cramped at all.

Only thing I may have changed on the truck would be I might have gone with the 5.0 if I had it to due over. Just because it gets about the same fuel mileage and you get to hear that coyote purr. Lol. The 10 speed transmission shifts smooth and precise even when loaded.

I can't speak for the other brands as I have no experience with them. I've been driving Ford trucks for over 25 years.

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have a 2018 F150 supercrew with the 5.5 ft bed and the 2.7 Ecoboost engine. Have 47k miles on it with no issues. It is 4wd. I have towed about 5k miles between my 26ft camper which weighs about 5500 pounds loaded and a 18ft car trailer with cars, Kubota, UTVs, etc. It has no issues towing anything as fast as you are wanting to pull it but the fuel mileage suffers severely when towing at highway speeds. I only average about 10-12 mpg towing on the highway at 70-75 mph.

I also have a 2.5 inch leveling kit and 285/75/17 load range E tires that weigh about double the factory tires. This also hurts the fuel mileage. I can get 18-20 on the highway at 65mph but drops to about 15 at 80mph. I love the room in the cab in both the front and rear seat. Adults can ride in the rear seats and not be cramped at all.

Only thing I may have changed on the truck would be I might have gone with the 5.0 if I had it to due over. Just because it gets about the same fuel mileage and you get to hear that coyote purr. Lol. The 10 speed transmission shifts smooth and precise even when loaded.

I can't speak for the other brands as I have no experience with them. I've been driving Ford trucks for over 25 years.
Awesome. Thanks for your input. It seems that many owners are super happy with the 2.7 and they don’t seem to have the same timing issues as some of the 3.5 trucks.

WV millwright

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jackie
Vehicle(s)
2018 F 150 2017 Escape
Awesome. Thanks for your input. It seems that many owners are super happy with the 2.7 and they don’t seem to have the same timing issues as some of the 3.5 trucks.
The 18+ 2.7 had the duel port injection, direct and port, to try and curtail some of the carbon build up on the valves some earlier models saw happen. I will say that the little 2.7 will really surprise you the first time you drive one.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I have a '19 F150 RCSB 4X4 with the 5.0/A10.

I love it and I wouldn't change a thing, but wish the QC would have been better all around; from Day 1 mine had the common dash warpage around the defroster ducts at the base of the windshield. I have yet to hit 25K miles, and I've had cam phaser solenoids replaced, one blown/leaky shock, and a taillight housing that would collect condensation like mad. Not really a good showing when my last F150 required nothing but gas, oil changes, and tires for the nine years I owned it (and then foolishly traded it on the first of two lemons disguised as Jeeps). I pondered the same truck with the 2.7, but I love my V8s and I prefer simple when it comes to something I'll be keeping a while.

Other than some weird low speed shifting when cold, the powertrain flat out rocks. With the rear diff locked up and the front end engaged, there's no wheelspin and it's pretty damn quick (3.55 axle). And it has pulled down a tick over 22 MPG (calculated) on trips up north fully loaded with vacation gear. I've only pulled motorcycles on small trailers with it, but have no doubt it would be fine pulling a car trailer or smaller camper (I'd go 3/4 ton if I were going wild towing).

Since I've only ever owned RCSB 4X4s and don't want or need anything else, alternatives are basically none these days as neither Ram or GM offers one anymore (unless something has changed). If I couldn't have had an RCSB, it would have been either a Ranger or Tacoma in a 2-door extended cab.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have a '19 F150 RCSB 4X4 with the 5.0/A10.

I love it and I wouldn't change a thing, but wish the QC would have been better all around; from Day 1 mine had the common dash warpage around the defroster ducts at the base of the windshield. I have yet to hit 25K miles, and I've had cam phaser solenoids replaced, one blown/leaky shock, and a taillight housing that would collect condensation like mad. Not really a good showing when my last F150 required nothing but gas, oil changes, and tires for the nine years I owned it (and then foolishly traded it on the first of two lemons disguised as Jeeps). I pondered the same truck with the 2.7, but I love my V8s and I prefer simple when it comes to something I'll be keeping a while.

Other than some weird low speed shifting when cold, the powertrain flat out rocks. With the rear diff locked up and the front end engaged, there's no wheelspin and it's pretty damn quick (3.55 axle). And it has pulled down a tick over 22 MPG (calculated) on trips up north fully loaded with vacation gear. I've only pulled motorcycles on small trailers with it, but have no doubt it would be fine pulling a car trailer or smaller camper (I'd go 3/4 ton if I were going wild towing).

Since I've only ever owned RCSB 4X4s and don't want or need anything else, alternatives are basically none these days as neither Ram or GM offers one anymore (unless something has changed). If I couldn't have had an RCSB, it would have been either a Ranger or Tacoma in a 2-door extended cab.

Nice feedback. The dash warpage is really a bummer on the QC side. My dad was looking at an 18 in 2021-ish and it had the same issue. Matter of fact all of the trucks on the lot did. Lol.

The 5.0 seems to be a stout engine and they respond well to tunes as they do in our cars.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Nice feedback. The dash warpage is really a bummer on the QC side. My dad was looking at an 18 in 2021-ish and it had the same issue. Matter of fact all of the trucks on the lot did. Lol.

The 5.0 seems to be a stout engine and they respond well to tunes as they do in our cars.
The dash thing is extremely common on the '15-'20 trucks. I've heard of guys having it addressed and before long it's back, if it's even improved at all. I knew about the issues with the dashes before I bought it, and it was one of the first things I checked for when I looked at it. "Yep, there it is...."

A little sad, really, when you go to look at a brand new vehicle and confirm a defect it shouldn't have and know it's going to be there forever.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I can’t comment on the lighter varieties by Ford, I have a 450 and a 550. But, the 10 speed is excellent. Had the 6 speed in 250’s and 450’s. Was a good transmission as well, but the 10 is superior. As for durability with it, I put a lot of weight behind my trucks and have zero issue’s with either.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
No trucks currently in the stable.

I owned a prior 1987 and 1994 Full Size Bronco (both 5.0's). Regret selling the 94, but would consider buying another FSB of the 90's era over the current modern offering.

The older were much bigger inside, lots of storage capacity, and IMO, more rugged, durable and reliable because of the lack of today's electronics.

Sure today's modern FSB Bronco (EXCLUDING the four door or mini, because a real Bronco is a 2-door) is more streamlined, "plush" and handles better - but again IMO, there's nothing like an older FSB with a V8, dual 3" exhausts, a lift kit and the rawness of the live axles.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Probably off topic, but I have a 1999 F250 super duty single cab with 8 foot bed. It's perfect for me, because it was cheap when I bought it 8 or 9 years ago and I haven't had many problems with it. It's just short of 250,000 miles. It has the gas V10, which has been a good engine for me. I have this old vehicle because I don't use it for commuting. I only use it for plowing and hauling things (more what it is made for). I put less than 500 miles per year on it. It sits a lot and rarely gives me any trouble.

I hate that many new pickups are bloated, overpriced luxury vehicles now with giant cabs and tiny beds. And now even the ancient pickups like I own are really overpriced. I see they are currently selling for double or more what I paid for mine.

My advice to the op is drive the Mustang instead. If you NEED a pickup, sure. I heard the average selling price of a pickup last quarter was something like $66K. That is crazy money in my opinion. A Mustang is a lot better deal in my opinion. You should get an old, junky pickup like I have - then buy a nice Mustang and drive the Mustang except when you really need the pickup.

Sponsored

Bugs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 1965 Mustang Fastback Restomod in GT350 livery
I've had Suburban's for much of my adult life to haul the kids, Newfoundland dogs, boats and all my motorcycles on a homemade flatbed trailer. I had '86 and a '93 1500 Suburbans, both with 350's and a '98 Burb' 2500 with a 454. All of the vehicles towed great with regards to stability. Unfortunately, there's lots of mountains around here and climbing hills while towing was a stressful affair. To maintain 60 MPH on steep inclines, the engines would typically drop into 2nd gear and run near redline - the 454 being a bit better than the 350's. They sounded like they were being abused, but over 30 years, I never had any problems with them.

Several guys in my family are Dodge/Ram fans. Well, actually, they are Cummins Diesel fans. They've been bugging me for 30 years to ditch the gas for a diesel. Around 2016, the kids and dogs were out of the picture, so - still resisting the horde - we downsized from the last Suburban to a '15 Durango R/T with the big Hemi. It's a fun rig. It towed the flatbed trailer just fine while carrying motorcycles. It hauled my '65 Fastback OK as it was used only for local trips during restoration.

But then, I got the '19 GT350 and got afflicted with the Track Day bug. To support my habit, I bought a 24' ATC enclosed car trailer. Soon afterward, I had a need to tow the empty enclosed trailer with the Durango on the Interstate in a powerful crosswind. That was a huge mistake. Even slowing to 55-60 MPH on the 80 MPH highway, the trailer was whipping around and pulling the Dodge with it. The wind blast from semi's passing me were really anxiety provoking. It was obvious that the Durango was not up to the car-hauling task.

Urged on by my local Diesel fan club, I looked at the Ford, Dodge and Chevy diesel offerings. I quickly dismissed the Chevy for a variety of reasons. I think the Ford was actually the best truck. It had the nicest interior, rode the best and had the smoothest engine. The problem is that the Ford diesel engine was fairly new compared to the 30-year-developed tried-and-true Cummins. The Ford design had some expensive teething history in the mid/late 2000's that scared me away. I intend to keep this truck a long time and put a lot of miles on it. In the end, reliability trumped all.

I found a good deal on a leftover '17 Ram 2500 Diesel. All I can say is, those guys in my family were right. Towing the trailer weighing over 8000 lbs is a non-event. Even climbing steep hills, I can't tell I have a trailer behind me except the boost gauge climbs and the fuel gauge drops. It eliminates the trailer-hauling anxiety and makes towing a genuine pleasure. Admittedly, it's an expensive luxury, but I'm completely addicted and never going back to gas for a tow rig.

20190404_114145.jpg

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I recently retired the mustang as the daily and picked up a new Tacoma. Now I drive the Mustang when I feel like it and run around with the truck when I don’t give a damn.

i wasnt ready to get into towing so the smaller truck is good for now. I did want a high clearance 4wd, and the Taco checks that box.

fwiw the Toyota nav/screen systems are about 10yrs out of date, even compared with my 2016 Ford, so thats fun, but at least Carplay works well.

overall, ita great to have a truck around for misc stuff, to take the dogs places, and its great to be able to keep the mustang clean and occasionally put it on jack stands for a few days at a time for work.

already did a 6000 mile 3 week road trip with the truck. Next one I’ll either get a tow vehicle, or convert the Taco to an overlanding setup, or switch to a Bronco, idk yet.

Johnny Rockit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT 6-speed. 2015 F-250XLT,73 Torino
I have a 2015 F-250 XLT Supercab.
Had the plow frame installed along with the truckside wiring harness to continue use of a 15 year old MM2. The truck has 44,408 miles on it so far. My first X plan purchase.

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
2001 Dodge 5.9 6SP 4X4. I've got 210K on it and yes, I go to the dealers and look at the new ones. A heated steering wheel would be nice. That Nav system is pretty. That number on the window? Nah! I love Spooky and all the noise it makes. I ordered it back in 2000 and to this day it does what I need. It tows my Outdoors RV 270RLS to the mountains for camping and hunting. Has made several trips to Wyoming and South Dakota for fun and hunting. Doesn't burn any oil, hauls ass if I want it to (hmm... don't know why), and even my wife drives it once in a great while. Really has been a cheap to keep truck. I have replaced the clutch once. Other than that, just normal maintenance. Replaced the brakes at 156K, but I did install a Pac Brake right after I bought it. I really like these pretty new trucks, but the thought of putting that much money into something that is going to depreciate that hard at my age just does not seem like a wise thing to do to me. Now, I could see buying my wife a Panamera (probably used) because she has a fancy for them. And, I can see another Mustang (probably used) in my future. I ordered my Mustang back in 2016 from the factory, as I have with many other vehicles. It will probably be the last new car. There are many reasons for that which I will not get into here. I have many other things that I want to do before I take my last breath and get the heat treatment. Watching property decrease in value is not one of them. Just my $0.02.

khlifhummar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
khlif
Vehicle(s)
GT 500
Regarding engine options, the 3.5 and 5.0 are capable of hauling, so it really comes down to personal preference and budget. As for the 6 vs 10 speed debate, the 10 speed does offer smoother shifts and better fuel efficiency, but the 6 speed is still a solid option.
If you're looking for more options or want to explore some other brands, you might want to check out truckexporter.co.uk. They offer a wide selection of trucks from different manufacturers, so you might find something there that catches your eye. Good luck with your search!
Sponsored

Last edited: