Trouble with tailgaters

rocky5517

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
sam
Vehicle(s)
ford explorer 67 riviera
Maybe it's my imagination but when I'm driving, usually in Sport, on a highway like the Turnpike or Parkway, ( 2019 GT Premium with A-10) at speed, because the trans downshifts and slows the car down, I tend to lay off the brakes. This is a good thing, and the car is a dream to drive. But, the last few times out, I noticed people tailgating me; could it be because I don't use the brakes until I need them, the people behind me don't see any brakelights and tend to 'run up" on you?. I had one nitwit today who I swore was going to ram me so I kept tapping the brakes so he knew I was slowing down.
Not a big deal, just an observation.
Sponsored

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Install a set of MAK cat-deletes, an x-pipe, and a Roush axle-back exhaust and you will never have someone tailgating you.

RugbyRef

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe it's my imagination but when I'm driving, usually in Sport, on a highway like the Turnpike or Parkway, ( 2019 GT Premium with A-10) at speed, because the trans downshifts and slows the car down, I tend to lay off the brakes. This is a good thing, and the car is a dream to drive. But, the last few times out, I noticed people tailgating me; could it be because I don't use the brakes until I need them, the people behind me don't see any brakelights and tend to 'run up" on you?. I had one nitwit today who I swore was going to ram me so I kept tapping the brakes so he knew I was slowing down.
Same here...although I have the manual trans.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Install a set of MAK cat-deletes, an x-pipe, and a Roush axle-back exhaust and you will never have someone tailgating you.
Yeah, that's not true. I've got an x-pipe, Roush ABs, and LTHs and I still have people tailgating me.

Nuts right?

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Even more so with a manual, when engine braking.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
You must not be the one doing 95+ on the NJ Turnpike or Parkway - speed up already... :cwl:

The people on those routes drive like complete jackasses and many of them should have their licenses pulled. They drive it like it’s the Autobahn and do NOT pay any mind or attention as to what is AHEAD of them at all.

Too many of them are too busy playing with their mobile devices, the in-car display, their balls, their puss (or both).

I’ve seen too many damn near misses I can’t even count them. Both the NJPKWY and NJTPK are overly congested for people doing in excess of 75, because there is no room for correction or emergency stopping IF some moron looks up from their blatant idiocy and realizes they are f’d and heading for disaster...

All I can say is keep your head up, pay attention to not only what is in front of you - but to your sides. ALWAYS be sure to leave enough room for a way out in the event some other moron looses control of their ride (or heads for wrong exit and decides it’s a great f’n choice to swerve back into traffic).

Maybe mount some high intensity disco strobes so that when your brakes are applied, the ass-riding moron behind you goes into an epileptic seizure....:giggle:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
They are not tailgating. Your slowing down without notice and they are maintaining speed. This on two of the most notorious roadways on the East Coast. I’m betting you’re in the left lane as well. Honestly if you did that to me I’d be on your ass lights and horn blazing. Of course I was just your typical Jersey driver. :)

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
You must not be the one doing 95+ on the NJ Turnpike or Parkway - speed up already... :cwl:

The people on those routes drive like complete jackasses and many of them should have their licenses pulled. They drive it like it’s the Autobahn and do NOT pay any mind or attention as to what is AHEAD of them at all.

Too many of them are too busy playing with their mobile devices, the in-car display, their balls, their puss (or both).

I’ve seen too many damn near misses I can’t even count them. Both the NJPKWY and NJTPK are overly congested for people doing in excess of 75, because there is no room for correction or emergency stopping IF some moron looks up from their blatant idiocy and realizes they are f’d and heading for disaster...

All I can say is keep your head up, pay attention to not only what is in front of you - but to your sides. ALWAYS be sure to leave enough room for a way out in the event some other moron looses control of their ride (or heads for wrong exit and decides it’s a great f’n choice to swerve back into traffic).

Maybe mount some high intensity disco strobes so that when your brakes are applied, the ass-riding moron behind you goes into an epileptic seizure....:giggle:
Yeah, I resemble that remark :crazy:
Seriously though when I worked in Northern NJ I was on the turnpike from 8a to 16w. When I worked in NE Philly I was only on it from 8 down to 6. Then the PA turnpike but that’s a story for another day. When I had my Ruby EB I tended to stay out of the left lane. Too easy of a target. Also used the Northern GSP on a weekly basis. Now that’s a fun road :angry:

The ones doing 95 were easy to deal with. Just let them go. Cars going 50 in the left lane were the dangerous ones. And those without brake lights could get you killed.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
They are not tailgating. Your slowing down without notice and they are maintaining speed. This on two of the most notorious roadways on the East Coast. I’m betting your in the left lane as well. Honestly if you did that to me I’d be on your ass lights and horn blazing. Of course I was just your typical Jersey driver. :)
It's up to the following driver to maintain at least a semblance of safe following distance. Under all conditions. Even here in NJ.

With a manual transmission, people tend to run up on you during upshifts, and there's no way in hell I'm going to tap the brakes while shifting or beat my drivetrain up with speed-shifts just so the guy behind me who'd rather not have to pay much attention to what's going on around him can get away undisturbed from his mind-on-cruise-control driving style.

Norm

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
It's up to the following driver to maintain at least a semblance of safe following distance. Under all conditions. Even here in NJ.

With a manual transmission, people tend to run up on you during upshifts, and there's no way in hell I'm going to tap the brakes while shifting or beat my drivetrain up with speed-shifts just so the guy behind me who'd rather not have to pay much attention to what's going on around him can get away undisturbed from his mind-on-cruise-control driving style.

Norm
Norm, I agree with you totally. That said the closing rate at 75, a typical NJT speed, is pretty quick. If you’re the one up front it’s tailgating, if your the one closing, it’s the idiot without brake lights. Just a different point of view.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
They are not tailgating. Your slowing down without notice and they are maintaining speed. This on two of the most notorious roadways on the East Coast. I’m betting you’re in the left lane as well. Honestly if you did that to me I’d be on your ass lights and horn blazing. Of course I was just your typical Jersey driver. :)
I have no problem brake checking people who ride my ass. If someone wants to buy me a new Mustang, I'll take it. :giggle:

If they ride my ass while brake checking, I'll continue to slow down until I'm either completely stopped, they go around, or back off. F 'em lol.

No hate towards you, but big lifted trucks are bad about this. Just because your truck sits high in the air doesn't mean you get special treatment.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I have no problem brake checking people who ride my ass. If someone wants to buy me a new Mustang, I'll take it. :giggle:

If they ride my ass while brake checking, I'll continue to slow down until I'm either completely stopped, they go around, or back off. F 'em lol.

No hate towards you, but big lifted trucks are bad about this. Just because your truck sits high in the air doesn't mean you get special treatment.
I hear you. I’m not talking about a pure tailgater. If I’m doing a steady speed and someone crawls up my ass for no reason, I’d do the same thing as you. I’m talking about being behind someone who slows for no apparent reason (how do I know you have a manual?).

Watch any type of car racing. Happens all the time. Guy in front slows and gets rear ended. Of course they do not have brake lights.

Reactions: Ebm

FoxFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Turbo Foxes
Yep, brake checking will only get you into trouble... you lose if they have a dash cam. But coasting until they go around is the best way to handle it. If you do what they want and speed up, they'll just do it again, and you'll be uncomfortable with the speed you're going. That's all assuming I'm in the right lane. If I'm in the passing lane, I just get over when I'm done passing, as I normally would, except I get over before he can so there's no confusion or attempt to pass there on his part.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
As others have said that stretch of I 95 has some of the craziest drivers I've experienced.

In addition to the other good advice remember that spending a tiny bit more on brake pad replacement is a lot less expensive and hassle than dealing with a rear end collision. Drive in D on roads like that, left foot brake, and touch the brake pedal whenever traffic starts to slow. Given the "drivers" you are dealing with it may not solve the problem but it MIGHT help. Also, don't brake check someone who is on your tail. Just maintain speed and flash the brake lights with your left foot. The last thing you want is to be rear ended from a brake check and then find out the other driver has dash cam video of the incident which is selectively edited to remove his tailgating.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I just wear a hazmat suit and replaced my GT badge with:

1200px-Radioactive.svg.png
Sponsored