Sponsored

Tremec and clutch biting point

Phil_AVF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2198 Grabber Yellow
I went for my first proper drive in my RHD UK Mach 1 this week after collecting it on Friday and it spending the weekend with the detailer.

Now, it may just be a RHD thing, as we use our left hand, but did anyone else have issues with stiff gear selections where some force was required to get it in gear?

And does anyone else have a high biting point on the clutch? MIne is right at the top of the pedal travel.

I've put 400miles on the car so far and it has begun to get easier to engage gears, but it is very mechanical and there's still stiffness and resistance to getting in gear.

Is this normal or should I be speaking with the dealer?

I had an MT82 GT before this and that had a mid pedal travel biting point and easy gear shift. I expect the Tremec to be notchy but at the moment it's a fight.
wRBBcbKIQdq0VBm2Dg4rSw.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
my tremec was definitely what I would consider notchy and at times difficult to get in gear the first couple hundred miles. In fact I almost posted in the gt350 sub forum to see if it was normal but itā€™s loosened up some and feels really good now at 500 miles. As far as the clutch I think what youā€™re describing is normal. This might be a terrible description but to me itā€™s much closer to an on/off switch than say the clutch you would find in an older Honda Civic for example. It took a few drives to get used to this clutch and as the transmission has ā€œbroken inā€ it feels perfect. Iā€™d give it a few more miles and if you still think itā€™s an issue then worry about it. Are there any other Mach 1ā€™s around you that you know of? Wouldnā€™t hurt to see if you could take a quick spin to compare.

Geofft21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach1 M2467
I went for my first proper drive in my RHD UK Mach 1 this week after collecting it on Friday and it spending the weekend with the detailer.

Now, it may just be a RHD thing, as we use our left hand, but did anyone else have issues with stiff gear selections where some force was required to get it in gear?

And does anyone else have a high biting point on the clutch? MIne is right at the top of the pedal travel.

I've put 400miles on the car so far and it has begun to get easier to engage gears, but it is very mechanical and there's still stiffness and resistance to getting in gear.

I had an MT82 GT before this and that had a mid pedal travel biting point and easy gear shift. I expect the Tremec to be notchy but at the moment it's a fight.
You didn't ask that bit on fb, but yes mine is a right bi-ch to get in gear, currently adopting the old stop in neutral then move to the gear, it is getting easier so hopefully just a sign of a tighter box, or should I say more precise. šŸ˜‰

OP
OP
Phil_AVF

Phil_AVF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You didn't ask that bit on fb, but yes mine is a right bi-ch to get in gear, currently adopting the old stop in neutral then move to the gear, it is getting easier so hopefully just a sign of a tighter box, or should I say more precise. šŸ˜‰
Yeah, I think I'm going to have to see how things go over the next few hundred miles. Going for some drives with the Pony Club on Saturday and Sunday, so that will be a good test.

Cheers

OP
OP
Phil_AVF

Phil_AVF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
my tremec was definitely what I would consider notchy and at times difficult to get in gear the first couple hundred miles. In fact I almost posted in the gt350 sub forum to see if it was normal but itā€™s loosened up some and feels really good now at 500 miles. As far as the clutch I think what youā€™re describing is normal. This might be a terrible description but to me itā€™s much closer to an on/off switch than say the clutch you would find in an older Honda Civic for example. It took a few drives to get used to this clutch and as the transmission has ā€œbroken inā€ it feels perfect. Iā€™d give it a few more miles and if you still think itā€™s an issue then worry about it. Are there any other Mach 1ā€™s around you that you know of? Wouldnā€™t hurt to see if you could take a quick spin to compare.
Thanks, Mach 1's are rare in the UK, so that won't be an option. Thanks for your reply it is good to know it's not just me.

Sponsored

emcmtony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2020 Saleen Mustang S302 White Label
Thanks, Mach 1's are rare in the UK, so that won't be an option. Thanks for your reply it is good to know it's not just me.
Did you consider the Steeda Clutch assist spring change? My car felt the same way and it ended up being the high tension spring that they put in there stock. The stock assist sprint is almost 200 pounds. The Steeda is 35 pounds. It made a difference in clutch feel for me. I think it is biting, you just cannot feel it with the amount of pressure the clutch pedal is pushing against you.

OP
OP
Phil_AVF

Phil_AVF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you consider the Steeda Clutch assist spring change? My car felt the same way and it ended up being the high tension spring that they put in there stock. The stock assist sprint is almost 200 pounds. The Steeda is 35 pounds. It made a difference in clutch feel for me. I think it is biting, you just cannot feel it with the amount of pressure the clutch pedal is pushing against you.
Yeah, I've ordered one, thanks.

Lord croker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
steve
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1 mustang
I've done nearly 500 mile and gearchange definitely eases of bites around same as my old gt about mid 3/4 on pedal
The one thing I've noticed is a little bit of clutch pedal judder just at bite point
Do you have this too ?

OP
OP
Phil_AVF

Phil_AVF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The one thing I've noticed is a little bit of clutch pedal judder just at bite point
Do you have this too ?
Yes, I noticed this as well.

fastergt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP, 2022 Ranger Lariat Tremor
I've done nearly 500 mile and gearchange definitely eases of bites around same as my old gt about mid 3/4 on pedal
Do you have this too ?
My Mach has been a sweetheart since first turn of the key, for me the shifting is flawless. Had a 17' GT350 and this is better shifting and clutch is more user friendly.

Sponsored

wimbrow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT fastback black

hi phil. i have 150 km on my RHD mach 1 in NZ. i had to muscle the tremac into 3rd at first but its getting better all the time. last drive out i thought it was feeling buttery smooth. still haven't gone over 4K yet though or used no lift shift. rev match is great as i can immediately let out the clutch as soon as the gear change activates the blip.
the clutch is vastly better than my 2016 GT ,which i got used to ,but had a high bite point (1/2 to 3/4 the way up.) . this one is very linear. don't feel any bite point at all. starts engaging as soon as i start to let it out. strange that they are so variable. tom

wimbrow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT fastback black
the clutch feel on the mach 1 is very light

JuicySmollet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juicy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 (M2440)
Trans was very notchy for me as well...1,000 miles later I have no issues.

I had to get used to the clutch...doesn't engage where I thought it would.

Tshenberg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis M1908
Trans was very notchy for me as well...1,000 miles later I have no issues.

I had to get used to the clutch...doesn't engage where I thought it would.
Same here. And to be honest still not real smooth from 1st to 2nd? Always seems to
Lurch a bit. But yes grab point in mine seems quite high as well

JuicySmollet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juicy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 (M2440)
Same here. And to be honest still not real smooth from 1st to 2nd? Always seems to
Lurch a bit. But yes grab point in mine seems quite high as well
I still find I'm jerking the car around if I get lazy with the clutch.
Sponsored