Trans tunnel tapping noise

JL3W1S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 full BMR handling upgrades, xpipe, MGW
metallic and not nearly as pronounced. It’s a very light tapping sound. At first I thought my right front tire had a rock or screw in the tread. It’s most pronounced when going slowly just due to lack of other noises. It seams to follow tire revolution, but I looked everywhere that I could see without using a lift. Found nothing at all no marks or evidence of any problem anywhere. No rocks stuck anywhere nothing in the calipers. No marks on them from anything scraping. I can’t feel anything wrong with the car through pedals or steering or any other indication of a problem. Just a tapping noise on the passenger side just below the radio (rt side trans tunnel) it’s not the ac unit I turned off absolutely everything and tried all drive modes nothing changes or worsens the noise. I thought maybe some road debris could have gotten wrapped around something. I’m pretty sure nobody secretly long-zip tied my driveshaft but I swear that’s about what it would sound like but this is further forward. I recorded the sound driving in parking lot and on the road. Clutch engaged or disengaged or different gears makes no difference, steering makes no difference. Frequency is directionally proportional to mph / wheel speed. I drove it fairly hard at different speeds used brakes and steering at various pressures/ angles. It seemed to have gone away but for Awhile but once I quieted down everything else on the car it was still there. It’s very faint. I can upload clips here if supported. I don’t post here much. The dealerships are all booked out because of Covid. It doesn’t seem serious but I’m wondering if anyone else has encountered the same thing and if so what it was.
I am curious where the Speedo readout is sensed and how, if that could be the source of noise (Speedo works perfectly, everything on the car works perfectly)

at about 45mph+ you can’t hear it because road noise takes over and by tat time it’s spinning so fast that it just sounds like a slight buzz or vibration as if looseness from the dash area like most mustangs have just odd rattles. But this is definitely a tick tick tick sound that follows speed. At 3mph it’s probably 2 times per second or so.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JL3W1S

JL3W1S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Premium PP1, 2012 Jeep JK, 2022 Harley 48
Some have had a similar noise, and it was caused by a label on the driveshaft coming partially unstuck and slapping the tunnel.

OP
OP
JL3W1S

JL3W1S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Some have had a similar noise, and it was caused by a label on the driveshaft coming partially unstuck and slapping the tunnel.
This has a very metallic sound. I’m hoping it’s something external like that though. The more I listen to it thinking of a tag flapping around the more it sounds like it actually COULD be that. I didn’t realize the driveshaft sat that far forward. I mean it could echo in that direction but this is literally at passenger knee level forward and knee height. Like you can almost feel whatever it is if you put your hand there.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
metallic and not nearly as pronounced. It’s a very light tapping sound. At first I thought my right front tire had a rock or screw in the tread. It’s most pronounced when going slowly just due to lack of other noises. It seams to follow tire revolution, but I looked everywhere that I could see without using a lift. Found nothing at all no marks or evidence of any problem anywhere. No rocks stuck anywhere nothing in the calipers. No marks on them from anything scraping. I can’t feel anything wrong with the car through pedals or steering or any other indication of a problem. Just a tapping noise on the passenger side just below the radio (rt side trans tunnel) it’s not the ac unit I turned off absolutely everything and tried all drive modes nothing changes or worsens the noise. I thought maybe some road debris could have gotten wrapped around something. I’m pretty sure nobody secretly long-zip tied my driveshaft but I swear that’s about what it would sound like but this is further forward. I recorded the sound driving in parking lot and on the road. Clutch engaged or disengaged or different gears makes no difference, steering makes no difference. Frequency is directionally proportional to mph / wheel speed. I drove it fairly hard at different speeds used brakes and steering at various pressures/ angles. It seemed to have gone away but for Awhile but once I quieted down everything else on the car it was still there. It’s very faint. I can upload clips here if supported. I don’t post here much. The dealerships are all booked out because of Covid. It doesn’t seem serious but I’m wondering if anyone else has encountered the same thing and if so what it was.
I am curious where the Speedo readout is sensed and how, if that could be the source of noise (Speedo works perfectly, everything on the car works perfectly)

at about 45mph+ you can’t hear it because road noise takes over and by tat time it’s spinning so fast that it just sounds like a slight buzz or vibration as if looseness from the dash area like most mustangs have just odd rattles. But this is definitely a tick tick tick sound that follows speed. At 3mph it’s probably 2 times per second or so.
Check the emergency brake cable and attaching assembly found under the driver side trans tunnel. This has been a known source of under far noises and is hard to replicate unless in a certain RPM range. When the cable is loose, it can make contact against the trans tunnel under certain conditions OR could be touching exhaust mid pipe. How to adjust the cable and assembly:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/how-to-adjust-your-parking-brake.25204/

Check the trans block spacer plate, it’s a common issue across the S550 and F150 platform:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/engine-transmission-plate-noise-fix.115718/

If looking at both the e-brake assembly or the trans spacer plate from under the car, yes visually they will look “fine”, but take a closer look to make sure it's not the source of the noise.

--

Driveshaft:
If the driveshaft or axles have any labels on them - it's possible during rotation that the labels are flapping during transit. Remove the labels. There was a thread on here a bit ago where some M6G members found the driveshaft label to be the culprit of under car noises.

--

Exhaust:
Look for any black soot staining on the exhaust pipes. If it exists, it's an exhaust leak and will also make a similar sound like ticking or the sound you describe. Loosen any clamps, adjust exhaust and tighten clamps down to seal from exhaust leaks.
Sponsored