Sponsored

Tapping noise in engine or transmission?

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Posted this in the Mach 1 section without much success so trying here.

New Mach 1 with the Tremec manual and 200 miles on it. Sitting at idle with the transmission in neutral, you can hear a faint metal-on-metal tapping or knocking noise and can lightly feel it if you put your hand on the shift knob. Very regular, happens all the time, but the intensity seems to change a little. Sounds kind of like someone is quickly tapping on something solid with a small hammer. Pushing in the clutch has zero effect on the sound. I really can't tell if it's in the transmission or on the engine side of the transmission, but it does not sound like a serpentine belt area tick or a low octane detonation knock. Checked the engine oil level but it's normal. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.
Sponsored

vintage1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP

New Mach 1 with the Tremec manual and 200 miles on it. Sitting at idle with the transmission in neutral, you can hear a faint metal-on-metal tapping or knocking noise and can lightly feel it if you put your hand on the shift knob. Very regular, happens all the time, but the intensity seems to change a little. Sounds kind of like someone is quickly tapping on something solid with a small hammer. Pushing in the clutch has zero effect on the sound. I really can't tell if it's in the transmission or on the engine side of the transmission, but it does not sound like a serpentine belt area tick or a low octane detonation knock. Checked the engine oil level but it's normal. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.
Hi, I would check your drive shaft. Bar code lable maybe spinning off and hitting body. I had a similar issue a few years back and this was it! Good luck.

Milton

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sqeekywheel
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt premium PP1

Any videos

Any videos?

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Will try to get one but hard to get it audible over the exhaust even in quiet mode with my crappy camera.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Not sure if the noise you are hearing is coming from console area. Check to make sure emergency brake cable isn't loose. It is located under driver side floor pan. If the cable is loose it allows slack in the assembly and it taps or rubs against bottom of floor pan or exhaust. You can only see it if the car is up on jack stands or ramps because it's tucked under trans tunnel.

There's a thread on here in DIY section with how to adjust.
Sponsored