Sponsored

Ceratec actually does fix the tapping but I still have an odd rattle noise

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I had a bad cold start tapping as you can see in this video around 1 min in :

I added half a bottle of ceratec and I did notice some improvement immediately. Drove it for a couple hundred miles with no bad effects so I added the rest of the ceratec. You can notice there is basically 0 of the tapping at idle now.. pretty big difference but I still have a weird rattle noise on light revs that does lesson when the engine is hot. Anyone know what this is?

Go to 1 minute in in both videos for a direct before/after ceratec comparison, both are cold starts, same oil, only difference is the ceratec. If anyone knows what the light rev rattle is, let me know. Also let me know what you guys think. I talked about some stuff in the 2nd video, also did a dragmode run at the end.

One more thing I noticed after adding ceratec was improved gas milage.
Sponsored

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
The light rattle above idle is probably piston slap is the noise goes away after full warm-up. Go out and really get on it for some time and see if that rattle noise goes away. If it does, it's probably just slight piston slap, and heating up the pistons makes them grow slightly more and makes the rattle go away.

Cera Tech is a good anti-friction modifying additive, so no surprise the engine seems to run smoother and get better gas mileage. Probably gives a few more HP at the rear wheels too.

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The light rattle above idle is probably piston slap. Go out and really get on it for some time and see if that other rattle noise goes away. If it does, it's probably slight piston slap and heating up the pistons makes them grow slightly more and makes the rattle go away.

Cera Tech is a good anti-friction modifying additive, so no surprise the engine seems to run smoother and get better gas mileage. Probably gives a few more HP at the rear wheels too.
Toward the end of the 2nd video i post it after warm. its lessened but its still there slightly @7:50 in that video.

Would you be concerned with that rattle?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toward the end of the 2nd video i post it after warm. its lessened but its still there slightly @7:50 in that video.

Would you be concerned with that rattle?
The engine sounds pretty quiet to me at 7:50. There will always be some slight engine noises going on which is normal stuff ... these engines will never be whisper quiet.

If the rattle goes away after the engine warms up I would say it's normal piston slap and wouldn't be concerned about it. These guys that have major ticking and rattling when the engine is fully warm have something not normal going on IMO.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The slight rattle when you let off the throttle is exactly like mine. It started the moment the mechanic replaced my clutch and flywheel. So, the rattle is most likely the flywheel. When the flywheel reaches a certain speed and load is let off, then it shifts slightly for a split second and rubs the starter.

Sponsored

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
so far ceratec is the only answer and works immediately.

probably because particles provide some cushioning as other friction modifiers like mos2 do not help with tick.

p.s. and carbon black powder was reported as immediately working as well. I guess xl17 would have same impact as it contained cb. And I guess again, because of cushioning.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I said, it's the flywheel.
Yep, I read it too fast. Only way the flywheel and starter could interfere like you say is if there was lots of crankshaft end play, and/or the starter pinion gear was not retracting all the way.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Yep, I read it too fast. Only way the flywheel and starter could interfere like you say is if there was lots of crankshaft end play, and/or the starter pinion gear was not retracting all the way.
There's actually a way that they insert small shims into the base of the starter to prevent this at the factory, because the they all seem to be slightly off a smidgen, due to the block being cast with slightly variable machining. If you actually look at it, that big flywheel is really close to where the starter pinion retracts, and on many cars it may rub a little. On mine, it was obvious when I picked up the car. I sat there in the lot, and when I blipped the throttle, it would rattle slightly when I pulled my foot off the gas. However, it wouldn't do it when I pressed in the clutch, because just that tiny little bit of movement cause the flywheel not to rub anymore. After driving my car for a couple weeks now, it doesn't make that sound as badly as it first did. I think over time it wears down that spot slightly. If it doesn't stop, then I would consider taking it in, and asking if they can shim the starter to prevent it from happening.

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Check on your rattle before and after running the A/C. Mine mostly went away with the A/C off. So strange.

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Check on your rattle before and after running the A/C. Mine mostly went away with the A/C off. So strange.
AC made no difference for me on this rattle.

AC did make a difference on the idle tapping noise that ceratec fixed though. Seemed like if there was a light load from the AC on the engine it would slap.

Heres another vid from before the ceratec with some revs. It seems like when i had the slapping I didnt have the rattle. Quite odd, i think they must be related somehow.

So it appears ceratec gets rid of the tapping but actually exacerbates the dropping revs rattle. (edit I could hear the rattle in this after a while actually around 1:40 onward

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
AC made no difference for me on this rattle.

AC did make a difference on the idle tapping noise that ceratec fixed though. Seemed like if there was a light load from the AC on the engine it would slap.

Heres another vid from before the ceratec with some revs. It seems like when i had the slapping I didnt have the rattle. Quite odd, i think they must be related somehow.

So it appears ceratec gets rid of the tapping but actually exacerbates the dropping revs rattle. (edit I could hear the rattle in this after a while actually around 1:40 onward
I don't think they are related. I have never had the idle tick. The Coyote engine has had the tick issue from the first iteration, while the rattle seems most common in the 3rd gen.
Sponsored