Trading a Mustang

Marsalad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mazda MX-5
I’ve been half-assed shopping around with no real intentions of trading unless the right deal comes along. It seems to me that a few dealers are offering low-ball trade allowances on my Mustang and I wondered if anyone else was experiencing this. One issue I seem to be having is that no one knows what a PP2 is and therefor they treat it like a PP1. Other dealers don’t even bother to add any option packages and offer base GT money. I have confirmed this using KBB and Truecar which align almost exactly with my assumptions. For example, KBB shows a base GT being worth $34-$36k while a PP2 with Recaro seats adds approximately $5000. TrueCar is similar with their values being about $2000 higher. I even used one dealer’s online tool (Edmunds True Value) and that was consistent with KBB and TrueCar.

My question is has anyone else experienced this and if so, how did you proceed?

I personally refuse to pay over MSRP and I will not accept a low-ball trade offer. I have an awesome car now and don’t need to trade. I just get restless and want to experience as many cool cars as possible before they get taken away.
I understand the current market for new cars but also understand the impact that it has on used car values. In the end it should be a wash. I’m not getting screwed twice.
EB169539-8321-49CD-AB12-7437BDD6A369.jpeg

Obligatory pic to draw attention.
Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Why are you selling it? Pretty car. Keep it.

Prymetime1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT/CS,
similarly checking the market and all i can say is this is the most fd I've seen in my lifetime. My dad tells me this happened in the 70s with the gas crisis but this is much larger global scale from then. things are stalling, interest rates are going up. personally, I'll wait till all the dummies that think their 200k mile Rangers are worth $10k today....when they realize its still only a $2k ride and then pick up a beater. till then, its DD for the stang.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
....a few dealers are offering low-ball trade allowances on my Mustang....My question is has anyone else experienced this and if so, how did you proceed.
How do I proceed? I don't ask for a trade-allowance. I don't allow them to appraise my car or make me an offer. I TELL them what I expect for my car.

Don't be a beta, be an Alpha. YOU take charge of the situation. YOU have all the information printed out. What the KBB trade-in value is of your car. What you're going to pay for the car you're buying. What the terms of the loan will be. What the monthly payment will be. Have all the math and details all figured out and ready to go before you drive to the dealership.

Have that all printed out on a piece of paper, and hand it to the sales person and simply ask "Yes or no?".

And be prepared to stand up and walk out.

Last edited:

Stewert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT premium
I’ve been half-assed shopping around with no real intentions of trading unless the right deal comes along. It seems to me that a few dealers are offering low-ball trade allowances on my Mustang and I wondered if anyone else was experiencing this. One issue I seem to be having is that no one knows what a PP2 is and therefor they treat it like a PP1. Other dealers don’t even bother to add any option packages and offer base GT money. I have confirmed this using KBB and Truecar which align almost exactly with my assumptions. For example, KBB shows a base GT being worth $34-$36k while a PP2 with Recaro seats adds approximately $5000. TrueCar is similar with their values being about $2000 higher. I even used one dealer’s online tool (Edmunds True Value) and that was consistent with KBB and TrueCar.

My question is has anyone else experienced this and if so, how did you proceed?

I personally refuse to pay over MSRP and I will not accept a low-ball trade offer. I have an awesome car now and don’t need to trade. I just get restless and want to experience as many cool cars as possible before they get taken away.
I understand the current market for new cars but also understand the impact that it has on used car values. In the end it should be a wash. I’m not getting screwed twice.
EB169539-8321-49CD-AB12-7437BDD6A369.jpeg

Obligatory pic to draw attention.
When I ordered my new Mustang GT Premium last week, I was only able to get $500 below MSRP due to the fact Ford isn't offering any price incentives. They originally offered me 2K below what KBB said the trade in was for a 2013 Mustang Premium GT which is garaged kept and in very good condition with only 21K miles. After some haggling, I was able to get 1k below KBB value. I'm strongly considering selling the car myself. I believe I can get at least $3500 more than what the dealer offered. It will be a PITA since I work tons of hours at my job but very well be worth it.

Sponsored

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
How do I proceed? I don't ask for a trade-allowance. I don't allow then to appraise my car or make me an offer. I TELL them what I expect for my car.

Don't be a beta, be an Alpha. YOU take charge of the situation. YOU have all the information printed out. What the KBB trade-in value is of your car. What you're going to pay for the car you're buying. What the terms of the loan will be. What the monthly payment will be. Have all the math and details all figured out and ready to go before you drive to the dealership.

Have that all printed out on a piece of paper, and hand it to the sales person and simply as "Yes or no?".

And be prepared to stand up and walk out.
I’m all for all of this and completely agree, but saying it’s “alpha” to tell a car salesman how much you want for you car, could be construed as ridiculous… by someone… maybe…

Bronco2fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Taurus SHO LMS V11 Tune, 2006 F150 Harley-Davidson, 03 Mustang GT Conv.
Why would you want to trade a PP2? You do know it's a discontinued option? Plus, the newer ones are lower HP and torque. If you're not trading up, I'd hang on to it for sure. Just my opinion.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Why would you want to trade a PP2? You do know it's a discontinued option? Plus, the newer ones are lower HP and torque. If you're not trading up, I'd hang on to it for sure. Just my opinion.
giphy.gif

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
....saying it’s “alpha” to tell a car salesman how much you want for you car, could be construed as ridiculous…
There's a lot more to it than just that.

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
There's a lot more to it than just that.
That’s kinda my point… it’s not alpha to give a car salesman a list of demands…

Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
That’s kinda my point… it’s not alpha to give a car salesman a list of demands…
Yes, it is exactly that. It's taking control of the situation, rather than sitting back passively and letting others be in control. It's dictating terms 100%, with no other options to be considered.

That this has to be explained to you.....

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Yes, it is exactly that. It's taking control of the situation, rather than sitting back passively and letting others be in control.

That this has to be explained to you.....
Lmao. Ok bro, you’re alpha for telling a salesman what’s what 😂🤣😂

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I don't know what the current market is for used GTPP2's, but can say that these were being listed and sold in the upper $40k-$45k range 6 mos. ago.

The market is changing on used autos both from a selling and buying standpoint. Put it this way, Carvana and the likes are finding that people are now using ther rape whistles and shopping elsewhere for better deals. Who's going to pay upwards of $45k-$50k+ for a used vehicle when they can still get new for nearly the same pricing AND with new car warranties.

The market isn't dried up like many are making it out to be - you can find used and new cars for decent deals IF you're willing to put forth the effort to use multiple online shopping venues - instead of being stuck to your local 50 mile radius.

I've found plenty of Mustangs (all years) available for fair pricing and of course the obscene. If one is will to pay the obscene locally, because they don't want to look outside the box, then that's on them and more power to them if they don't care what they're spending.

If it were me and I owned your GTPP2, I wouldn't "trade" - I'd list it and sell private party - because you're going to get the biggest return, instead of dealing with some Car Dealership.

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
If your only motivation is to experience different rigs, I suggest getting real friendly with the local rent-a-car places. You get to keep your Kick-ass Stang and get in other decent cars.

But of course that isn't what you want.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I don't know if this is a factor where you live, but trading a car in to a dealer means I only have to pay sales tax on the difference between the trade-in and new car. At current prices, that's a savings of about $3000 if I sell the car outright and buy somewhere else. So, it gives the dealers a nice advantage.
Sponsored