Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 (SOLD) 11 5.0 TRACK 17 Explorer 16 Fusion
Vehicle Showcase
Good morning,

I am looking to go to my first track day and want to record a bit of it. What app would you recommended?

I was thinking of just getting a windshield mount and letting my phone do the recording. I have a new Pixel 4.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
If it is your first ever track day, just go and have fun and don't care about your lap times. You are going to suck at the beginning anyhow

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜09 GT500KR & ā€˜16 GT350 Track Pack & ā€˜20 GT500 HP
TrackAddict works great. Records video, times, speeds, track position. It even can turn your GoPro on and off.
I have not used the other app you mentioned, but Track Addict will do more than most HPDE people will ever need.

Have fun!

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
I chose Track Addict for its simplicity of function (video and lap times). I understand it does not give a plethora of data, but from what I've read, if using an external antennae, its really a great tool for the average HPDE day. Here's a good place to start. http://racerender.com/TrackAddict/docs/Interop.html

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Good morning,

I am looking to go to my first track day and want to record a bit of it. What app would you recommended?

I was thinking of just getting a windshield mount and letting my phone do the recording. I have a new Pixel 4.

Thoughts?
TrackAddict has a free version for up to 4 sessions recording so this should be good enough for you. I'm using it on my session and the app is amazing.

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I like RaceChrono because it's easier to set up and get going, but IMO TrackAddict is a better app.

but to echo what others are saying, don't worry about lap time at least til you're intermediate. You can record and review, but don't be concerned too much at this point.

JD_GTPP2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro, 2SS/1LE
Good morning,

Thoughts?

I use TrackAddict with a GoPro Hero 7 and a PLX Devices Kiwi 3 for data recording. I really like the TrackAddict because it works well with RaceRender and the data from the Kiwi 3 seems spot on. Here is a video of my last outing at Dominion Raceway using this combination:

Sponsored

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
Would it be helpful at all to set a benchmark time? I will have over an hour on track, good for about 45 laps or so.

That way you can see the improvements next time out?
That's too long to be on track. The car and you will need a break. Keep sessions under 20 mins with at least 20 mins rest.

OP
OP
Vettel-ish

Vettel-ish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 (SOLD) 11 5.0 TRACK 17 Explorer 16 Fusion
Vehicle Showcase
That's too long to be on track. The car and you will need a break. Keep sessions under 20 mins with at least 20 mins rest.

Sorry over an hour total.

Its 5 sessions of 20 min each.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Go get some times if you want. Most of us do, just we also know that lap times are a distraction until you can consistently drive the racing line. Once you can hit your marks consistently, then you can start getting faster.

If you study up and watch a lot of (good) video reference, and read track notes, memorize corner worker stations in advance, etc, then you could have the racing line down in as little as 3 laps on track, but typically for novices that doesnā€™t happen that quickly. Go prepared, but donā€™t sweat the lap times until youā€™ve got the line down, cause times will be all over the map.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Not to Hijack Andy's thread...but I am contemplating going to the same Track Day as Andy. My first time as well- it's been good to hear feedback from guys that I shouldn't be concerned about lap times, how fast i'm going ,etc..., but just to relax, work on technique and race line and have fun. I'm more concerned at this point with gaining some valuable training which I can use both on and off the track, as well as getting out of Dodge in one piece (both myself and the car).
All that being said if someone wants to bring equipment along and record that's fine.. if nothing else it will be a good nostalgia recording to look back on!