Track tires

Meateater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Interested in experiences with track tires from the forum. I recently picked up a set of Pirelli slicks (cast offs). Was advised that other GT350 guys were running a square set-up of 315s (315/705/19). Mounted them to a set of flow forged P51 wheels. Did a test fit and non-track drive and things seemed to work just fine. However, when I pulled them, the right front appeared to have a sign of fender rub. Couldn't feel anything on a low speed jaunt around the neighborhood nor was I in track mode. Rears are no issue. What say you all?
Sponsored

onosqv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
QV
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang
Ignore and let it "self-clearance", add camber to the front, roll/pull your fender a bit, or get different offset wheels.

OP
OP
Meateater

Meateater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Ignore and let it "self-clearance", add camber to the front, roll/pull your fender a bit, or get different offset wheels.
Thanks. Camber was on the list if it is truly an issue. Gentle "nudge" on the fender will probably help too.

Sponsored

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
You shouldn't need to touch the fender at all. More camber and correct offset and they'll fit. If you're at the skill level where you need slicks, you should be well passed -3.0 front camber anyway

OP
OP
Meateater

Meateater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
You shouldn't need to touch the fender at all. More camber and correct offset and they'll fit. If you're at the skill level where you need slicks, you should be well passed -3.0 front camber anyway
Thanks. I just started tracking this car. My previous ride was well tuned for the track with numerous mods. Now starting over with a new platform. So, in the set-up / learning stage. First few sessions have been pure stock set up, now looking to dial things in. I appreciate the suggestions and insight.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I just started tracking this car. My previous ride was well tuned for the track with numerous mods. Now starting over with a new platform. So, in the set-up / learning stage. First few sessions have been pure stock set up, now looking to dial things in. I appreciate the suggestions and insight.
No problem sir.
The 350 is very stout; with slicks and some much needed camber, you'll be able to set some serious lap times

OP
OP
Meateater

Meateater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
No problem sir.
The 350 is very stout; with slicks and some much needed camber, you'll be able to set some serious lap times
Ewheels are you using camber plates? If so which did you go with?

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have Vorshlag camber plates. They're a bit expensive but they are amazing build quality and allow for a large range of camber. I'm at -2.6 right now and I still have room to go further. And that's without cutting the strut tower opening; if you open it up more, you can get closer to -4.0

Sponsored
OP
OP
Meateater

Meateater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I have Vorshlag camber plates. They're a bit expensive but they are amazing build quality and allow for a large range of camber. I'm at -2.6 right now and I still have room to go further. And that's without cutting the strut tower opening; if you open it up more, you can get closer to -4.0
Much appreciated! The list of mods is racking up! HAHA. Half the fun of owning a muscle car!
Do you set back to neutral after track days?

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Much appreciated! The list of mods is racking up! HAHA. Half the fun of owning a muscle car!
Do you set back to neutral after track days?
No. On a car with struts, changing the camber will also change the toe and incorrect toe will destroy your tires fast. You CAN manually adjust the toe each time but I don't trust myself to get it dialed in perfectly each time. Track camber on the street isn't anything to worry about as long as your toe is in check.

OP
OP
Meateater

Meateater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
No. On a car with struts, changing the camber will also change the toe and incorrect toe will destroy your tires fast. You CAN manually adjust the toe each time but I don't trust myself to get it dialed in perfectly each time. Track camber on the street isn't anything to worry about as long as your toe is in check.
Thanks E. Camber plates are on order.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
For reference, I have -3.3 camber up front with Steeda plates and still room without cutting the strut tower.

OP
OP
Meateater

Meateater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
For reference, I have -3.3 camber up front with Steeda plates and still room without cutting the strut tower.
Good information, thanks. Are you keeping that camber when on the street?
Sponsored