Sponsored

Track prep for beginner

C7 B8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350R, '11 Mustang GT
VVV what he said. Add a real tire gauge.

Brake pads - get a second set for track-only. Dual duty is a bit of a unicorn. Run the atock pads for daily street use.
Do fluid too, and flush it often.

Pick your tires before settling on wheels, in case you want a tire that only comes in 19". Gp 10" wide at the narrowest.

Look into camber plates so your new expensive tires last longer, and get a performance alignment. I got mild rear swaybar which helped neutralize the stock understeer.

The next thing I found I wanted/needed badly were harnesses to keep me in my seat and not sliding around.

C7 B8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350R, '11 Mustang GT
As Norm says, HPS is NOT a track pad. I ran HP+ which were great but had to DD my car so went back to HPS. HPS's squealing was unbearable on the street. I ran the HPSs well into very fast intermediate groups no problem. My car is usually one of the fastest in intermediate. So plenty in those "street" pads.

HPS should be fine. If you are out running these pads, you should probably start investing in some safety equipment. Not sure if s550 needs a lot of cooling help. On my s197 brake ducts prob made the most difference esp on hot days.

HPS is not a track pad. (On edit) I doubt they're rated any more than 100° better than typical OE pads.

They may be enough to get you through a couple of instructed and carefully paced (read easy) introductory days . . . IF you're always conscious of the fact that you'll be able to overheat and fade them if you ask too much from them. For example, don't be chasing new personal best speeds down the straights as evidence of improvement.

Norm

Last edited:
OP
OP

Mustang_Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Caved in and bought GT take offs, so hopefully my braking will be more confident.
Sponsored