My First Track Experience (Beginner)

Genzen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT Premium with PP
Just experienced my first track session. With Northeast Hooked On Driving.

Car: Bone stock Mustang GT PP Premium (955 miles on odometer)
Track Condition: Wet raining morning - dry afternoon.
My experience: None (first time ever) - don't know heel-toe (learning)

Five sessions - 25 minutes each.
MPG during sessions: 6.8 MPG
Max speed: ~120 mph

Both morning sessions were wet, I had no clue what I was doing. Car is so freaking torquey and TIRES SUCKS in the wet track. I oversteered twice on two turns and luckily recovered both times (I hit the gas too early before apex - not advised with low traction).

Spun my car out onto grass before the final straight away (so did a Corvette and Viper ACR (both on Pirelli P-Zero too). Luckily didn't hit anything! Thank God...

After initial shock, I slowed down during the second run with no mishaps and focused on learning track driving. Only car doing well on the wet track was a Focus ST (but I stayed right behind him).

Afternoon, things were much different. Dry track was awesome! Learning on wet track helped me push the car safely in the afternoon. I knew now how hard I could push my car before it would loose grip. Once tires warmed up, I picked up speed significantly. Every subsequent session was faster and faster.

By fifth time, I almost lapped all the cars in my class. =)

My opinion about the car:
Amazing... on dry track. For a heavy car, it sticks well to the ground and can be pushed hard. So happy I got this car.

Suspension - Shocks are a little soft so I could feel the chassis move up and down on hills. I though the factory sways bars were OK for my speeds. My only upgrade will be new springs and ability to adjust cambers (until I get much better at this).

Engine - The stock sound is pretty good with windows down (but would like little louder). The engine revs beautifully, mid-torque is awesome and this is were I picked up speed exiting the turns. Straight lines, I could use another 100+ HPs especially against the Vettes! I initially thought 435 was enough, but I could have used more. =)

Brakes - Simply AMAZING! Brembo are fabulous... Best part of PP upgrade. This is a MUST have for track. No fade, stops on a dime... Amazing control with brembos. The late apex on turns was awesome.

Manual Trans / diff - The 3.73 ratio is too high for this track. Had to shift to 4th gear on some of the turns too early as my rev was maxing out. 3.55 would have been better. I wish I could hit 110 - 120 on fourth, but had to change to fifth. (BUT this could also be my in-experience track driving). This car shifts well on track. Also - thank goodness for rev limiters! As a beginner, this helped me from blowing up my engine! I must have hit it at least 5 times during the straights.

Seats (none-recaro) - I think it's perfectly fine for track use 1-3 times a year. I am 5' 10" - 205 lbs muscular build and it was fine. Glad I didn't get recaro. I like keeping my balls cool. =)

[ame]

Evan
Sponsored

Last edited:

5starr0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Exciting...good for you

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
Thanks for the good read :thumbsup:

Sponsored

ConspicuousConsumption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP MT, Explorer ST
Great read! Must've been pretty scary with other cars on the track. That's always what freaks me out when I think about track driving.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
Awesome. I'm hoping to start going to track days as a hobby once I get the new car. How much was it for the 5 sessions OP? I imagine it could become a very expensive hobby very quickly, especially with gas and replacement tires as well.

OP
OP

Genzen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
Bone stock. I spun out to driver error (lack of experience) and BAD wet track tires. The Pirelli P-Zero sucks in the rain. Another guy was driving a much lighter new Alfa Romeo 4C with same tires and he had a tough time.

OP
OP

Genzen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
Awesome. I'm hoping to start going to track days as a hobby once I get the new car. How much was it for the 5 sessions OP? I imagine it could become a very expensive hobby very quickly, especially with gas and replacement tires as well.
$375 + $40 for helmet rental.

Hooked on Driving is an excellent organization. Very good seasoned instructors. Good classroom sessions (3 of them) i had one with me the entire time. he drove a 2010 GT3 with racing slicks!

My next time out, it will only cost $325.

Tires are hardly worn. Still plenty of tread so far. Probably could take it out 3-4 more sessions. Brakes, don't know yet. But guessing it should be fine too. But YES this is an expensive hobby. I went through an entire tank of gas for the 5 sessions.

Last edited:

Sponsored

5starr0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Do you have to pay track insurance for your car?

OP
OP

Genzen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
So you left traction and stability control fully on?
Hell yes!!! (I had it on Sports mode during dry sessions). It would be stupid to turn them on as a track noob. At 500 miles, I was doing donuts and power drifts on parking lot with them off. I am an experienced "road" driver =). I really respect track racers now.

OP
OP

Genzen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
Great read! Must've been pretty scary with other cars on the track. That's always what freaks me out when I think about track driving.
Try it with an experience club like hookedondriving.com. It's all up to you how hard you want to push your car. NO ONE is allowed to over take another car until the signal is given.

The instructors were all excellent and easy to communicate with.

OP
OP

Genzen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
Do you have to pay track insurance for your car?
I opted not buy track insurance. They go for $150 to $220 per day (for a $40,000 coverage). Most regular car insurance companies WILL not cover any cars on the track.

Supa LA

Drop a gear and disappear
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Metallic Mustang GT PP
Silly question, do you go all out with the throttle while on the track? Or do you moderately apply it? Do you bang gears or shift smoothly?
Sponsored